4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 7:02 PM by johnrellis

how to manage hierarchy in Keywords List

craigst Level 1

I have some keywords that are nested two levels down, but when I click and drag on the keyword to move it up one or two levels in the hierarchy, it doesn't move. Just sits there. Obviously I know how to put a keyword in a lower hierarchy but now I need to move some of them to a higher level, like you can do in the Navigation pane on the left. Is there an external (to LR) place where I can go and manage the hierarchy?

• 1. Re: how to manage hierarchy in Keywords List
          craigst Level 1

Need to modify my question. I have tried other keywords and they will move up in levels, but it turns out that those that won't are because that keyword already exists at a higher level. So now how do I merge the two sets of photos so that they have same keyword at the right level?

• 2. Re: how to manage hierarchy in Keywords List
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Suppose you have two keywords, A > B > X and A > X, and you want to merge all the A > B > X pics to A > X and delete A > B > X.  To do that:

1. In the Keyword List panel, hover the mouse over A > B > X and click the right-arrow that appears to the right of the keywodr.  This will show exactly the pics that have A > B > X.

2. Select all those pics by doing Edit > Select All.

3. In the Keywording panel, in "Click here to add keywords", type "A > X".  Now all the pics that had A > B > X will also have A > X.

4. In the Keyword List panel, right-click A > B > X and select Delete.

• 3. Re: how to manage hierarchy in Keywords List
              craigst Level 1

That worked! Thanks!

As one more step though I had to take after the last one was to go back to the original A>B>X folder and select them all, then take out the X keyword, because there were a bunch of other keywords too that should not have been deleted. I was afraid to delete them all as a group. If I had, would all the other photos have had their good keywords removed?

• 4. Re: how to manage hierarchy in Keywords List
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

If I understand what you're asking: No, that extra step wasn't necessary.  But it sounds like you've successfully merged the keywords, good.