3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2006 1:13 PM by Captiv8r

Server-based output

ChrisBrewster Level 1
      I've been working on a help system but have not published it yet. In my RH experience I haven't dealt with system issues. Now my current project needs to be published, and I'm afraid my version of RH is insufficient. It's Robohelp HTML X5, and it apparently does not create server-based help. Is that correct? (This will be much easier if I'm wrong.) The software being documented is .NET-based, so it appears I need Robohelp Pro for .NET. I spoke with Adobe and there is NO migration path from Robohelp HTML X5 to Robohelp Pro for .NET. Meaning I have to spend the full $2000 for it. This in turn creates a problem for me persuading the development group about this.

So, is there any way for Robohelp HTML X5 to create server-based help? Can anyone suggest a migration path from what I have that does not cost $2000?
        • 1. Re: Server-based output
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
          Chris

It is entirely wrong to think that RH HTML X5 does not produce server based help. It is the webhelp output and on my site you will see many links to RH demos which are running on the same server as my site. Professionally most of the help I produce is webhelp running on servers.

.NET is a different issue but I believe webhelp will run there but there may be extra features the .NET version gives. However, if you don't need them...

I am sure some with .NET knowledge will come in on that.

• 2. Re: Server-based output
            ChrisBrewster Level 1
            Thanks for the information-- I wasn't getting this from the help screens, but maybe I misread something. Big relief!
            • 3. Re: Server-based output
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi Christopher

As fellow ACE Peter pointed out, you should be just fine producing WebHelp and placing it on a server. FWIW, my understanding of the whole .NET thing is that the .NET version simply has a few additional examples of how to connect things up.

Cheers... Rick