19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 9:44 AM by Amikoe

Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

Amikoe Level 1

Using InDesign CS6 (Mac):

I'm to start a 50-page document that's single-pages (not spreads) for a 3-hole-punch book. I'm using 2 Master pages, which are alternating between the front and back of each sheet. So page 1 is master A, page 2 is B, 3-A, 4-B, etc.

So that I don't have to manually add 50 alternating pages to the Pages window — is there an elegant way I could tell InDesign at the "New Document" level to create those 50 alternating pages?

>> ALSO, just wondering, creating those text boxes in the Master pages, is there a way to tell InDesign to make them ACTIVE once I go to the book pages themselves, instead of the need to use Command-Option-Shift-L for each and every new page (annnnoyingggg!!!)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
          Migintosh Level 4

Amikoe wrote:

single-pages (not spreads) for a 3-hole-punch book. I'm using 2 Master pages, which are alternating between the front and back of each sheet. So page 1 is master A, page 2 is B, 3-A, 4-B, etc.

What do you want your two different master pages to do for you? Just guessing here, but is it to have a larger margin at the binding side? If so, I'd use a facing-page document with one master page. The fact that nothing crosses the spine doesn't mean that this isn't a facing-page document if you have front and back pages.

Amikoe wrote:

…creating those text boxes in the Master pages, is there a way to tell InDesign to make them ACTIVE once I go to the book pages themselves, instead of the need to use Command-Option-Shift-L for each and every new page (annnnoyingggg!!!)

Thanks!

Do you really need master text frames? Most people who think they do really don't. If you want a text frame for each page, just do that on the document pages. Master text frames are useful if you have (for example) several text frames on each page that all thread together, and are the same size and positioning on each page. Or maybe you have two or more independent stories on each page, so you want one frame to jump to the next page instead of to the frames on the same page. But, if you really want master text frames, you can select a region of document page icons in the Pages window and from the fly-out and apply the C-O-S-L shortcut. New pages will have to be released as they are created, though, as master items are intended to be released only sparingly.

• 3. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Amikoe schrieb:

Using InDesign CS6 (Mac):

I'm to start a 50-page document that's single-pages (not spreads) for a 3-hole-punch book. …

Exactly THAT is you problem!

Set up your document with facing pages and use 1 single master for the whole spread.

Set up, as I would recommend to do so with wire-O-binding which has the same needs as a punched hole binding.:

1-WireO-Bleed.png

2-WireO-Bleed.png

3-WireO-Bleed.png

4-WireO-Bleed.png

5-WireO-Bleed.png

Further:

Don't use master text frames, except for placeholders for page numbers and living column titles.

Use Layers! Put your page numbers on the top most layers.

• 4. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              So that I don't have to manually add 50 alternating pages to the Pages window — is there an elegant way I could tell InDesign at the "New Document" level to create those 50 alternating pages?

If for some reason you don't want to use facing pages as other have suggested, you can duplicate any number of pages from the pages panel by selecting and dragging them with the Option key down—you'll see a + sign. So you could make pages 1A and 2B, clone them to make 4, clone the 4 to make 8, 8 to 16, etc.

>> ALSO, just wondering, creating those text boxes in the Master pages, is there a way to tell InDesign to make them ACTIVE once I go to the book pages themselves, instead of the need to use Command-Option-Shift-L for each and every new page (annnnoyingggg!!!)

When you create a document the New Document dialog gives you the option to include a primary text frame, if you do that a text frame will be made on the default master page to the document margins and that frame will automatically be released any time you make an A-Master page. You could base your B-master on A and those pages would also have a released primary text frame.

• 5. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

If you don't use facing pages, you can't use the orinetation toward and from spine as it is available in Paragraph and Object Styles for anchored frames. This functionality is very useful for pagination and page items which change from left to right or right to left. That is why I am strongly recommending facing pages in any case where double sided printing is involved.

• 6. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

It does sound like the OP should be using facing pages, but since I don't know all the details I was simply addressing his two questions. That's why I started with "If for some reason..."

• 7. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
                    Amikoe Level 1

Thanks everybody!  Wow, I should have known better!  It's been a while since I was working on a book or even a multi-page brochure...

Of course, I should choose Facing Pages, wider margin in the inside, and then create single-page PDF file for production... Of course!

I do need to use Primary Text Frame so that the text that client sends me flows from the first page to the last. For some (stupid) reason I didn't realize that once I do use Primary Text Frame — all the pages will have active text frames to accept the flow of text...

Still, a question and a note:

1. If I place a picture box on the Master page, I still need to manually use C-O-S-L to release it once I'm on a page. Is there a similar-to-the-text-box workaround?

2. I notice that when creating a new, 50-page document, if I choose Primary Text Frame it will first show 50 pages in the pages palette — and then go back to one, 49 pages disappear from the palette. Only when no Primary Text Frame is selected the program will create those 50 pages. But it actually does make sense, 'cause the reason for choosing Primary Text Frame — is for long text to flow from the first page and create new pages as necessary... Am I right?

Thanks again!

• 8. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

If I place a picture box on the Master page, I still need to manually use C-O-S-L to release it once I'm on a page. Is there a similar-to-the-text-box workaround?

If you are adding a placeholder image frame without content to the master, what's the difficulty in Command-Shift clicking to select the master frame on the page? You have to select it to add an image.

if I choose Primary Text Frame it will first show 50 pages in the pages palette — and then go back to one, 49 pages disappear from the palette.

I'm not following that, this New setting creates 50 facing pages with released MP frames as expected:

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 11.35.38 AM.png

• 9. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Rob Day wrote:

If I place a picture box on the Master page, I still need to manually use C-O-S-L to release it once I'm on a page. Is there a similar-to-the-text-box workaround?

If you are adding a placeholder image frame without content to the master, what's the difficulty in Command-Shift clicking to select the master frame on the page? You have to select it to add an image.

If the placeholder frame is empty you don't need to release it place content into it. It overrides automatically when the content is placed. Just move the loaded cursor inside the empty frame area.

• 10. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

And it is helpful to put it on  a separate layer, it is easier to select at work.

• 11. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
                            Amikoe Level 1

Nope, here, when I create that same document as you showed, Rob, any number of pages I type in, it creates that number of pages in the Pages palette — and a couple seconds later they all disappear to one single page.

• 12. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

Sounds like Smart Text Reflow at work...

• 13. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

I think Peter's got it. Close all documents and check your Type Prefs. Make sure Delete Empty Pages is unchecked:

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 3.45.23 PM.png

• 14. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
                                  Amikoe Level 1

Indeed, that was the "problem".... Thanks Peter and Rob...

NOW I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION, MAYBE EVEN A CHALLENGE:

The book I'm to work on is a member roster book for a private club. Many of the member listings have one or two very small photos (single person or a couple) anchored to their info, all same-size photos, placed at the top-left corner of their text, like a 3-line-deep drop cap... Is there a way to create a Paragraph Style, or a combination of Object Style and Paragraph Style, so that I don't have to place and anchor over 130 picture boxes in their places?

Again, thanks.....

• 15. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

You can create an object style that includes anchored object text wrap and positioning info, but you'd still need to get these into the text. How are you building the file? It might be a good candidate for Data Merge.

• 16. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
                                      Amikoe Level 1

Yes, but then I don't see haw I save much, or even anything by doing so. I can copy and paste those picture boxes for every entry that needs it, then place the right photo for each.

As to building the file, if I get your question right, I've been doing this for years in Quark, so this time I am simply copying the whole text from the last Quark document and paste it into a new ID document. That part is easy. The more time-consuming part would be placing those anchored photos, which were anchored in my old Quark document.

• 17. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

Whether Data Merge makes sense depends on how the member data is stored and updated. I do an annual roster book for a local antique dealers association, and it's a hybrid. The dealer info is all kept in a database from which I get a .csv file which I use to populate pages of listings (including an anchored frame in each listing). I then stitch those together and move the pages into my main document where I add headings and advertisements and a calendar by hand.

• 18. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages

Amikoe wrote:

As to building the file, if I get your question right, I've been doing this for years in Quark, so this time I am simply copying the whole text from the last Quark document and paste it into a new ID document. That part is easy. The more time-consuming part would be placing those anchored photos, which were anchored in my old Quark document.

It might be worth the $200 for you to buy the Q2ID plugin from Markzware for this project. I have no idea what it would do with the anchored objects, but they might be able to tell you before you buy.

• 19. Re: Create multi-page document with multi Master-pages
                                            Amikoe Level 1

Hi, Peter:

1. No data Merge here, client is not organized in that direction.

2.  I actually checked into Q2ID. I contacted Markzware a couple years ago, specifically asking about the anchored photos issue, and they had no answer for me about that. It's very quiet here this time of the year, so I will spend couple hours rebuilding my ID file from scratch to serve for this and the coming years.

Thanks for your, and others' help!