8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 9:09 PM by eikonoklastes

I need help looping a video.

dunnowhat2do

I can't seem to find the "plus" key that I need to loop a video.

Can someone please help me with a step by step on how to loop a video? I have already looked on YouTube but it seems they all leave out a step. I've been at tis for an hour now.

• 1. Re: I need help looping a video.
          eikonoklastes Level 4

You simply copy and paste the clip on a timeline for as long as you need it to loop. If it's a very short video and you need a very long loop, after the first few copy & pastes, select all the clips and start copying and pasting those.

• 2. Re: I need help looping a video.
            shooternz Level 6

That is not a loop and also has the down side of creating a very large file if one was to use that technique for an extended duration eg a 24 hour a day of continuous play!

You can loop playback in Premiere by using the Loop Icon in the Monitor ( if thats what you want)

You can not create a movie file that loops per se.  That is the function of the Media Player.

You can author a DVD to loop a single file continuously until paused or stopped

• 3. Re: I need help looping a video.
              eikonoklastes Level 4

A clip playing back to back is not a loop? That's news to me. You said it yourself: "You can not create a movie file that loops per se.  That is the function of the Media Player." So the only ostensible way to create a looping clip is to do it manually. Assuming a 24 hour loop is unnecessary; there was no indication given of that.

Given the ambiguity of the query, the downsides of manually looping a clip could be dealt with in further conversation. I'd be amazed if the original poster wasn't aware of the 'Loop' button on software/DVD/Blu-ray players.

• 4. Re: I need help looping a video.
                shooternz Level 6
                A clip playing back to back is not a loop? That's news to me.

Thats a repeat .

If you were to export 24 hours ( as an example) worth of repeats  ..that file would be massive.

On the other hand ... a looping single file is of "singular" duration.

As said...play a loop via the Media Player controls. ( for as long or as short as one wishes)

I'd be amazed if the original poster wasn't aware of the 'Loop' button on software/DVD/Blu-ray players.

If one wants to loop a DVD for what ever purpose...one can author it into the DVD

• 5. Re: I need help looping a video.
                  eikonoklastes Level 4

You're doing my head in, shooternz. I almost feel like I'm being gently trolled.

We seem to be tripped up over semantics here.

Your "singular duration" file set to loop for 1 hour is the exact same result as a clip "repeated" for 1 hour.

The time hasn't been specified. I don't understand why you keep using 24 hours as the benchmark. It could be 15 minutes that he wants, which makes the manual loop/repeat/noose/whatchamacallit suggestion totally feasible.

You can argue about what correct grammatical use of the word "loop" is until the cows come home. For all practical (video) purposes, it is a clip that plays back to back.

Adobe seems to agree (from the After Effects Interpret footage dialogue):

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 12.49.25.jpg

• 6. Re: I need help looping a video.
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Shooternz. A clip playing back to back in a timeline is not a loop.

A loop is usually set by the player.

Even Premiere has a loop button.

• 7. Re: I need help looping a video.
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Your "singular duration" file set to loop for 1 hour is the exact same result as a clip "repeated" for 1 hour.

The result is the same of course.  Its the techniques that are being discussed by me.

The time hasn't been specified. I don't understand why you keep using 24 hours as the benchmark. It could be 15 minutes that he wants, which makes the manual loop/repeat/noose/whatchamacallit suggestion totally feasible.

24 hours is an example only. It could be 15 minutes or 1 hour. What ever he chooses..

I used 24 hours as an example...to show how ridiculous it is to  create a timeline  of 24 hours duration and then export it into a massive file that would have both storage and file size issues.  Its about practical ways to do things.  The OP has an option from the discussion.

I have made looping videos that run 'constantly in store and for trade shows.  Just finished a 7 minute program that loops constantly for a Reception area display in a office.

I also frequently repeat a "program" just as you suggest.  eg I will repeat a TVC three times for presentations and previews . Common practice to show the client  it  in a meeting 2 or 3 times so they can absorb...before discussion and comment

• 8. Re: I need help looping a video.
                        eikonoklastes Level 4

Hi shooternz, I believe the gist of my point got lost in smart-assery, so I'll drop that and instead use an example to illustrate it.

Let's say you have 2 TV screens, one playing a 5 second clip that has been set to loop by the media player. The 2nd screen has the same 5 second clip that has been repeated on a timeline and exported as a single clip, say 100 times. Let's also assume the media player is capable of seamlessly looping the clip (annoyingly, several aren't).

If you're looking at both screens, you'd not be able to tell the difference between the two. The one that is looping or the one that is repeating are the same to the viewer.

Perhaps my basic knowledge of programming colours my view. In programming, a loop is a set of instructions that is repeated until or while a certain condition is satisfied. In this case, the condition would be time - how long is it supposed to run for.

Basically, it doesn't matter how you choose to loop the clip - if the end result is the same, then that's what a loop is.

In the After Effects Interpret Footage dialogue, you set a bit of footage to "loop" a set number of times. This is basically internally duplicating the clip and offsetting it in time so the extremities line up. It does not cause the playhead to loop around that bit of footage endlessly.

There are merits and demerits to be discussed for each method, but given the severe lack of clarity from the original poster, it's impossible to say which method is preferable to him, and as such I left out getting into that discussion until it was warranted.

Cheers, and thanks for the discussion.