5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 7:49 PM by ssprengel

Adobe Process Hqbtyvpe.exe is KILLING my computer!! What is it?

alangroberts

Hello,

I'm running a high-end, fast desktop with Win7 and this Adobe process, Hqbtyvpe.exe is replicating itself multiple times as a process as can be seen in the Windows task manager, taking huge amounts of RAM, and seems to be doing nothing other than killing my computer. It is found in:

Username> AppData> LocalLow> Adobe> wxlsrilpvz> ghvypem> Hqbtyvpe.exe

Here is a screenshot of its location:

2015-01-05 Issue2.JPG

I don't have Google Chrome installed yet, in the task manager description field you can see below that it is called "Google Chrome"

2015-01-05 Issue1.JPG

The number of instances constantly varies wildly, from 10 or 12 or so to 20 to 25 for no apparent reason. I asked this on Adobe Chat and received no help at all... Can anyone tell me what on earth this is and how to stop or get rid of it please?

Thanks,

Alan R

• 1. Re: Adobe Process Hqbtyvpe.exe is KILLING my computer!! What is it?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That is Google Chrome trying to install or update itself or restoring previous tabs. Simply terminate the processes and restart your system.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Adobe Process Hqbtyvpe.exe is KILLING my computer!! What is it?
            alangroberts Level 1

Unfortunately that is not the answer. I uninstalled Google Chrome on my system and it does not exist on it any more. This is an "exe" file that sits inside an Adobe folder and it is impossible to terminate the process. As you can see in the screenshot, there are many of the same processes running and, as I terminate one, more or multiple ones immediately take its place. So, I have already tried that and it does not work...

• 3. Re: Adobe Process Hqbtyvpe.exe is KILLING my computer!! What is it?
              alangroberts Level 1

BTW, I think the process is possibly mistakenly labeled as "Google Chrome" in the task manager description.

• 4. Re: Adobe Process Hqbtyvpe.exe is KILLING my computer!! What is it?
                alangroberts Level 1

OK, after a lot of testing and trying a selective system startup using msconfig, I have tracked this down. It appears that this program is malware, that has hidden itself inside of this hidden Adobe folder and I happened upon this quite by chance. I will describe what happened in case it may help someone. I was helping friends tonight with their computer which has been operating very slowly. I ran the task manager and saw a cryptically names exe file doing exactly the same thing on their computer, i.e. multiple copies existing taking a lot of ram, continuously producing between about 15 to 25 instances of itself. They run MS Security Essentials and I had already run a virus scan which turned up no issues. But, on their computer, the exe file, also described as being "Google Chrome" was in a hidden Microsoft folder, not an Adobe folder. This got me thinking that it was not an Adobe problem but potential malware.

I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes, installed and ran the free version, and it turned up a number of issues, including this cryptically-named exe and it blocked a number of suspected malware items.

I then came home to my computer and let it start, still using msconfig to do a selective startup loading system services only. I checked the task manager and the exe file was not present. I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes, (I also use MS Security Essentials) and installed it then scanned my computer. It found a number of suspected malware items and put them in quarantine, many beginning with "SweetPacks" and SweetIM" the same malware as on my friends computer. I said OK to cleaning the computer and a restart was necessary. After the restart, still with system services only, I let Malwarebytes delete all of the quarantined items. I then did another scan and all was clear. I then set msconfig to do a normal restart and restarted.

After the restart, everything was back running as it should with no such exe running from an Adobe folder and no issues in my task manager. So, the problem certainly must have been malware that hid in a hidden Adobe folder and, thankfully, Malwarebytes found it...

Hopefully this may help someone.

Alan R

• 5. Re: Adobe Process Hqbtyvpe.exe is KILLING my computer!! What is it?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Another program I routinely use on my computer is AdwCleaner - usually I get my copy from a link on BleepingComputer.com.