7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 12:48 AM by Laurie Moses

Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014

Laurie Moses

Hi, Using AE 2014 on OS Maverick, (working on a stop frame animation) I 'm unable to import sequentially numbered RGB .jpg's (contained in the same folder) into the project as footage file. Footage option is greyed out (same with .tifs). I can import as a jpg sequence but - is the same thing? I converted the jpg's to .psd files (which made the file sizes 6 times bigger), and on import the footage option was available! I even de-installed and did a clean re-install of AE just in case but it's made no difference. It also means I can't import for example double frames in and while I can time stretch the layer I'm sure I used to have the option of importing sequences with more than one frame per jpg. I tried changing "Prefs - Import - Still Footage" to 2 frames instead of "Length of Composition" but this only worked when importing the jpg's one at a time! All the documentation says I can import sequentially numbered jpgs as footage but I can't. Has anyone else had this problem?

• 1. Re: Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have not seen this. Can you give us the precise file name. If it is something like IMG1004.jpg and so on it should work. Please show us a screenshot of your Import window with the files selected.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by double frames.

• 2. Re: Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014
            Laurie Moses Level 1

Hello and thank you for replying so quickly - I enclose a screenshot of my attempt to import the images, and, by double frames I mean importing two copies of each frame sequentially which the documentation led me to believe was achievable by changing the Import Prefs (again, screenshot included) to however may copies are required.

AE footage import.png

AE import prefs.png

• 3. Re: Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014

It looks like import as sequence is selected. Are you saying that when you do this you do not get footage?

If you uncheck JPEG sequence and import all files in the folder then you should get a bunch of JPEG files in your project panel. You can then select them all and create a composition from the sequence. Then, set the in and out point to the first frame and sequence the layers to create your movie.

Everything looks normal here. Are you new to AE? I'm still not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

• 4. Re: Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014
                Laurie Moses Level 1

Thank you for your help, I used AE about 8 years ago (with whatever the version was then) to do what I'm trying to do now, basically pull in stop frame image animations shot on green screen and string them together etc. (Sequencing the layers is a helpful way to achieve what I need so I'll use that way of working). Thanks again and I'll just list here what I was encountering!

So contrary to the AE documentation, I'm finding that...

1). If I uncheck JPEG sequence, I have no footage option but selecting them all brings them in as list of unconnected jpgs as you say into the footage window (in doubles in this instance as    per Prefs).

2). With JPG sequence checked, there's still no footage option and though it comes in as a sequence it's a single copy of each frame.

3). With PSD files, the footage, composition and layered composition options are available

• 5. Re: Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

You can still Import your jpegs as a sequence AND make them two frames long in your comp.

Once imported as an image sequence, go to the Interpret Footage settings, and set the frame rate to HALF the frame rate of your composition.  Working in a 59.94 comp?  Interpret the image sequence as 29.97 fps and life is good.

Assuming the entire sequence needs to be chroma keyed, it would prove to be a lot easier -- you just key the one footage clip.

• 6. Re: Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014

You are actually misinterpreting the documentation. If you import an image sequence, no matter what the format, you get a single item in the Project panel that is a movie made from your image sequence. The frame rate is set automatically at 30 fps in your preferences but you can change that using File Interpretation. To import an image sequence you simply click any image in the sequence and check the image sequence box. It works the same for all formats.

If you uncheck the image sequence check box then you only import the images you select. If you select all images in the folder then you get all images. They may or may not come in in the right order. It depends on the file name. You can drag all of these images into a new comp and trim the length of the images, then sequence layers. This usually is a very inefficient workflow. Working with a movie is a lot easier.

As Dave said, you can change the frame rate be selecting your image sequence in the Project Panel and then right click or go to File>Interpret Footage.

• 7. Re: Unable to import single jpg's as footage (not sequence) in AE 2014
                      Laurie Moses Level 1

Thanks for the tips Dave & Rick, I appreciate it and I will follow your advice! (Sometimes however many times you read the documentation it still feels unclear).