11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 5:39 AM by Laubender

What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?

Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can all you good good people please note any productivity enhancements that you have realised when you upgraded from CS5.5 or earlier?

Whether it's a new feature, new way of doing something or anything else at all.

I'm stuck on CS5.5 and I figure the best way to get it in the company is to have a list of really good ways it improves productivity.

Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In my opinion, if your output is for print, you're probably better off where you are. I can't think of a single thing I find compelling for my print workflow that was added after CS5, the there might be something in Indexing that was added recently. In general I find CS6 a little buggy, and the CC versions even less stable.

On the other hand, if your company wants to go into epub, you need the new version.

• 2. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?

Yeh playing around with the Demo I'm getting that feeling that the print side of things hasn't picked up. Except the export to grayscale pdf - but when doing grayscale printing I convert all the images and colours manually and build a proper grayscale file to be output as single colour.

Played around with the fixed epub - boy did it mess up my layouts something terrible - not as simple as the feature suggests! For basic layouts it's fine. But for a full magazine it's not so straightforward.

I do like the fact that I can embed a video from the web using the embed code directly to ePub.

• 3. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Eugene – considering CS6 opposed to CS5.5, there are some features, that could be handy also for printing workflows, of course depending what kind of work you are doing:

1. New text frame options: "Persistent text frame fitting options"

2. Re-worked master text frame concept "Primary Text Frame" (in my opinion this time Adobe did it right!)

3. Content Collector Tool

( 4. Liquid layout (with a grain of salt) )

See also here (oops, the re-worked master text frame concept is not mentioned):

Compare Indesign versions, version history | Adobe InDesign CC

So better look here where a PDF by James Wamser is linked to (page 67 pp):

Very handy resource from James Wamser

(Note: James published an enhanced version of his PDF at 23rd of December 2014)

And in the future, you might work with people on CC only. And that means you should be able to give out documents, that CC-only people could open and deliver back without using IDML. So it might be good to:

1. Update to CS6 (perpetual licence) or:

2. Switch to renting CC (CS6 included)

Uwe

• 4. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?
                SarahFaithMorris1600 Level 1

We had the same issue when deciding whether CC was worth it.  We use a lot of the other applications too, so financially switching to a subscription based service was our best option anyway.  I really like the new features in all the CC apps, and the fact that we can have access to them fairly quickly as Adobe rolls them out.  We were also forced to upgrade because, as Laubender said, we work with others (major publishing companies) who now only use CC and getting them to backsave everything would eventually become more trouble than it's worth.

InDesign CC 2014 is probably the one app that didn't get a MAJOR overhaul in my opinion, and if you don't collaborate or do ePUB work there isn't a whole lot of bells and whistles that you'll be gaining by upgrading currently.

I will say, however, that typekit is pretty awesome...hopefully they will be adding lots more fonts.  It's already saved my back a few times.

• 5. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?

@Eugene – and another thing:

It might be that future versions of PhotoShop will deliver PSD files you cannot open properly with PhotoShop CS5.1 to make little retouches or enhancements of the effective ppi for "Smart Objects" that are embedded. The files might be still openable, but the "Smart Objects" would be rendered to the ppi settings of the image. Or effects that you cannot control any longer. That would be unpleasent for workflows where external image data comes in and last-minute edits should be made.

So I think at least one CC subscription would be reasonable to have. Of course this would all depend on your workflow.

Uwe

• 6. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?

Thanks guys I like those suggestions in regards to not being able to open files from others with the later versions.

Any other ideas or thoughts on the topic of how it improves productivity in a print/web environment?

• 7. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?
                      TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In CS6 there's "keep with previous". That was Adobe's acknowledgment

that print still exists.

Actually, also CC has improved footnotes to the extent that they are now

affected by text wrap and also work in non-rectuangular text frames.

Auto-sizing text frames is pretty good too -- CS6. Don't try doing it in

tables too much, though!

Personally, I have CS6 (perpetual license) and also a CC subscription.

But I still only use CC for ePub work. Print stays firmly in CS6 for now.

• 8. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?

Thanks Ariel

Actually "Keep With Previous" is in CS5.5 too Autosizing text frames I don't care for really - I have 1 text frame per page (as it should be lol). Actually from some layouts it would be handy - but it's non-critical if you ask me.

Seems that CC is only good if going into ePubs. Pity they didn't think about their whole market audience when adding updates and introducing a cloud subscription system.

Feels like the print publisher would never upgrade to creative cloud - why would they! It has nothing new for them!

Anyone have any experience with the latest update to tables, ability to drag and drop rows - is it a major or minor change? Any other table additions that are hidden or a dark secret?

• 9. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?
                          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah, so you've already got keep with previous? That was the main reason I

upgraded to CS6 from CS4! (Only half joking.)

Autosizing text frames is good for things like captions and

side-headings. But it's true that I do not use them a great deal.

Another reason to upgrade might be if there were a third-party script or

plugin that you need and is only available for a later version.

• 10. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?

Yes I have a 3rd party plugin for annotations from DTP - after upgrading my os to 64 bit the plugin caused InDesign to crash on CS5.5. which is 32 bit.

I haven't tried it on CC14 yet - but maybe I should.

DTP support was unable to fix this issue too.

• 11. Re: What way has InDesign CS6/CC/CC2014 enhanced your productivity?

About new possibilities with CS6 and scripts:

Event driven scripts got a boost here. CC doesn't add much in this regard.

Working with tables and the new ability to drag and drop rows or columns is a good thing (CC 2014.0 and above). But it is not as good as it could be: You cannot drag to a different table, the feature is limited to the table you are starting with. And there is no scripting support for that yet.

Uwe