5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 9:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Why does expert timeline scroll to the beginning without my mouse input?

mtalldude

If I roll my mouse pointer over the scrollbar, at the bottom of the expert timeline, to the left of the current position indicator, even when I don't push the mouse button, sometimes the scrollbar starts moving until the window is showing the beginning of my project (i.e. the scrollbar scrolls all the way to the left). I want to just be able to click once within the scrollbar, left of the current position, in order to move the window over one window width (like every scrollbar in every other program works): but every time I try, the window begins to scroll left uncontrollably and I end up getting frustrated and losing my place (I'm doing stop animation). I turned off smooth scrolling and it still happens.

• 1. Re: Why does expert timeline scroll to the beginning without my mouse input?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mtalldude

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Do these events happen when you first start the new project or does the problem increase in severity as you build on the project?

How far zoomed in on the Timeline content (see -+ slider above Timeline) are you when the problem is in full force?

If you open a new project, do you encounter the issues again?

Have you check the mouse settings in the Control Panel area.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does expert timeline scroll to the beginning without my mouse input?
            mtalldude Level 1

Wow thanks for such a quick response! Much appreciated.

Adobe Elements 13 - updated early this morning with latest version, on an iMac i5 2.5 ghz with 12 GB ram running os-x 10.8.5.

It definitely gets harder to control as the program slows down with more assets added to the program, as the cursor will disappear more often and the processing lags, but yes I just started a new project (details in next paragraph) and the window does scroll to the beginning if I put the cursor in the left corner (on the scroll bar left of current view indicator).

So I broke up the video I'm making into chunks... it's a song, so I'm working on one verse at a time in separate projects. The verse I'm working on has 270 still images 720p, 71 mb worth of jpgs in the asset folder, and the scrolling problem is still happening.

I am zoomed in so that I can set the duration of each picture in my timeline using the mouse on each frame to 1 or 2 frames (my shots aimed for around 20-24fps so I'm adjusting for 30fps and trying to lip sync the clay characters with the music). So I'm zoomed in almost all the way. I suspected the scroll bar is not adjusting to represent one actual view pane per click (if I clicked on the scroll bar left of view indicator, and I was able to see 30 thumbnails on the timeline in my current view, I would expect the window to scroll to the left to see the previous 30 thumbnails).

I just did a test: if I move the cursor left of view indicator, pause, let the computer think and ponder, then click once, the view shifts left as I would expect. If I click twice without much pause, that's when the "auto scrolling" happens and I lose control and the scroll bar keeps moving until I'm at the beginning of the project.

I just saved the project, closed the program, reopened it and it is more responsive: i only notice about a double-viewport worth of scroll once in a while. So I think your suspicions are right: as I adjust frame durations, the processor gets bogged down and things get worse. I think the thing that bothers me the most is when I move the mouse to the corner without clicking and the window scrolls toward the beginning of the movie.

• 3. Re: Why does expert timeline scroll to the beginning without my mouse input?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mtalldude

Thanks for the reply with further details of your situation.

Premiere Elements 13 should be a 64 bit application running on your 64 bit system/processor, a plus computer resource wise. But your project assets seem

to be pushing the computer resources to the limit in this project, even the individualized ones. Have you looked into a free computer optimizing software

such a ccleaner?

CCleaner - Download

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. In my case, the use of the Home and End key shortcuts come in handy for getting the Timeline Indicator to the

start of the Timeline and to the last item on the Timeline respectively. Can you Home and End on Mac the same as you can for Windows?

Please keep us updated on this when you get a chance. I will continue to think about this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does expert timeline scroll to the beginning without my mouse input?
                mtalldude Level 1

My iMac keyboard doesn't have home or end keys... that would be great for me when I want to move to the beginning - I have been setting a timeline marker to get there quickly.  But in the case of the problem I'm describing above, I don't want to go to the beginning of the project, I just want to simply scroll one window's worth of frames to the left, but suddenly the window starts scrolling to the beginning of the project against my wishes haha.  I'm surprised 78 mb worth of jpgs can slow my machine down so much - quad core i5 two year old iMac desktop. Hmmm....

Thanks for your time and I hope we think of something before I go insane haha.

• 5. Re: Why does expert timeline scroll to the beginning without my mouse input?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mtalldude

A light bulb just lit. Are you really targeting the Timeline Playback Auto Scrolling Options which are No Scroll, Page Scroll, and Smooth Scroll?

See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12/12.1: Timeline Playback Auto-Scrolling

You may be stuck with "it is what it is".

Get out of Smooth Scroll if you do not want the right to left action with the Timeline Indicator in the middle of the visible Timeline.

Please let me know if my Elements Windows perspective is in sync with what you were mentioning in your last thread.

Thanks.

ATR