You can't use line breaks, as far as I have found. They will break the process.
The only workaround would be to (within excel) use some symbol that is not used elsewhere to represent the line breaks, and then do a global find-and-change after the data merge is done.
I created an Excel spreadsheet housing everything necessary for the cookbook. Titles are in the first row for each column.
I hope you meant the first column for each row...
A data merge record corresponds to a row in the spreadsheet, with the first record containing the field names. In addition to line breaks wreaking havoc, if your data file is set up incorrectly you won't get what you expect.
It sounds like you'd be better off creating a separate cell for each step/ingredient and inserting the hard return in InDesign. This way, InDesign will insert the return and you just pull the data from each step/ingredient. I'm thinking you could have columns for step1, step2, step3 and ingredient1, ingredient2, ingredient3 making sure that you have enough columns for the max recipe size.
Thanks Chad, I was able to easily convert the Excel document so that each step / ingredient were in their own cell labeled "ingredient 1" and so on. Then I used find/replace in excel to select the empty value cells and put in NULL (since there were multiple recipes, and not the same amount of inredients / steps) so that there wouldn't be an issue when importing into InDesign using DataMerge. Then I went into InDesign and used Find / Replace NULL with a blank field.
Thanks for the help!
I set up the data fields correct, it was the line breaks that was messing things up. By putting each piece of data in it's own cell, I was able to complete the project with little problems.