1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 12:29 PM by Paul SLS

Issue: color print not true

paulmegan

Lightroom 5.7 (Updated from 5.5 after the problem below--no help)

Windows 7

Epson 2400 Photo Stylus Printer

Photoshop elements 10

New problem after using Lightroom for several years

Working with bright red flower photo.  Color management set to profile for premium luster paper

Preview and print come out magenta.

Same photo in Photoshop Elements 10 previews and prints fine.

• 1. Re: Issue: color print not true
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Magenta is a sign of double profiling. Have Lightroom or the Printer manage the colors but not both.  If Lightroom, turn off color management in your Windows print driver. If the printer. Set your LR Print Job Panel to have the Printer Manage Colors.

• 2. Re: Issue: color print not true
            paulmegan Level 1

""Lightroom 5.7 (Updated from 5.5 after the problem below--no help)

Windows 7

Epson 2400 Photo Stylus Printer

Photoshop elements 10

New problem after using Lightroom for several years

Working with bright red flower photo.  Color management set to profile for

premium luster paper

Preview and print come out magenta (Flower turns from red to magenta)

Same photo in Photoshop Elements 10 previews and prints fine.""

I get unusual color shifts when printing from LR 5.7 to Epson 2400.  I have

tried all combinations of setting for color management in both devices (

letting the printer control the color or letting LR control the color).

Sometimes reds go to magenta, sometimes to brown, the yellows are not true

either. I use Inkpress ICCs but even epson or HP ICCs have the same

problem.

Photoshop elements10, when set to printer controlling the colors, does

fine, and even windows photo viewer does pretty well when sent to the epson

printer.

As far as I can tell, this problem began after I went from LR 4 to LR 5

several weeks ago--today was the first time I actually used the new LR 5

• 3. Re: Issue: color print not true
              paulmegan Level 1

Thanks--after a lot of fiddling with both Photoshop Elements and LR 5 The

answer seems to be to use the color management setting in LR 5 that is

Stylus Photo R2400, but I still cannot get good colors when I use ICC

Profiles listed in LR 5 specific to any of my (common) papers.  Color

management is OFF in the printer.

I am now about 1/2 way good to go.

• 4. Re: Issue: color print not true
                RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

You will also need to verify that Windows Color Management is off if you wish to let Lightroom Manage the colors. It works great btw, if you make sure everything else is turned off Color Management-wise.

• 5. Re: Issue: color print not true
                  web-weaver Level 5

Maybe this helps:

There seems to be an odd behavior in Lr that shows up - sometimes - when you have custom printing presets that were created in prior versions of Lr.

I had the same thing happen recently: After printing from Lr for a long time flawlessly, after the update to Lr 5.6 my prints came out with a magenta cast. I don't have an Epson printer, so it's not an issue between Lr and Epson printers. First thing I checked is double color management. Nope, that wasn't it.

Then I remembered an old thread on this forum where this problem was discussed. The solution was to remove all custom printing presets from Lr.

I moved via my OS all my custom printing presets to a different folder so that Lr won't be able to find them.

Immediately the problem of the magenta cast  was gone and printing was fine.

• 6. Re: Issue: color print not true
                    paulmegan Level 1

I have wandered around the Color Management choice in Control panel (Win7)

and done some Google searches--I do not understand how or what it means to

turn off Windows Color Management--appreciate the help for this old duffer

who wrote his first Fortran program in 1967 but can't seem to figure this

out even if I "RTFM".  The whole color thing is clearly (or unclearly)

complex!

• 7. Re: Issue: color print not true
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You aren't trying to turn off color management in Windows. When in the print module in Lightroom, you need to go to the "Page Setup" button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. This will open your printer driver dialogue. Somewhere in that dialogue you can turn off color management. By doing so, that will enable Lightroom to effectively manage the colors sent to the printer. If you don't turn off color management in the printer, and to let Lightroom manage colors as well, then you have double color management and that is going to throw your colors off. If you cannot find where to turn off color management in the printer driver then you need to choose the option in Lightroom to let the printer manage the colors. If you do that, and your printer uses paper profiles, then you need to choose the appropriate profile in the printer driver.

It's probably easier to allow Lightroom to manage the colors. But you must turn off color management in the printer driver in order for this to work properly.

• 8. Re: Issue: color print not true
                        paulmegan Level 1

Thanks: the following is long because I want to make clear what I am doing

The page setup button in LR leads to same page as the setup ( printer

driver) for the Epson and it is set to No color management.

Lightroom is set to use the profile included in the list of supplied

profiles (such as Luster, glossy etc) that is labeled Stylus Photo R2400

(my Epson model), there are no paper types associated with this choice,

unlike the other choices in the profile list stored in LR.

I am getting good printer color output with these settings--perhaps this is

all I need to do and forget about other color profiles. When using

Photoshop Elements, I use the ICC Profile for the paper I am using, with

good results. When I tell LR 5.7 to use a specific paper profile, such as

Luster, the colors are screwed up at the printer (often magenta tints). I

am making the profile selection in LR when in the Print module under Print

Job and then select the profile from the list in the "Other" selection. The

printer driver setup is set to Luster as paper type, (paper type seems a

required input), even though Color Management is turned off at the

printer--do you suppose that by selecting Luster in Lightroom that I am

actually double managing the color?

Bottom line: With he Epson Stylus Pro R2400 profile selected in LR, the

paper type set at whatever I am using in the Printer Driver, and printer

color mangement OFF,  I get what appears to be good output but I haven't

experimented with other paper types.  I cannot select a specific paper type

profile (ICC) in LR and get good result--perhaps the paper type is taken

care of by the Stylus Photo R2400 profile selected in LR and setting paper

type profile (rather than the profile Stylus Photo R2400 )  in LR causes

the LR setting and the Printer setup to trip over each other.

Perhaps it time to forge ahead with what seems to work and use other art

papers, etc to see what happens.

Thanks for listening (reading)

• 9. Re: Issue: color print not true
                          paulmegan Level 1

See my recent lengthy reply--sounds like your removal of the custom presets

is equivalent to my not selecting  custom presets in LR--

Somehow the use of the custom presets in LR can somehow screw up the color

management.

• 10. Re: Issue: color print not true

Even though you turn off color management in the printer, it is still necessary to choose the appropriate paper type in the printer driver. You probably already know that, but I'm just mentioning it as another checkpoint to ensure you are doing everything right.

• 11. Re: Issue: color print not true
                              paulmegan Level 1

I appreciate your advice--I think I finally understand what has been

happening

Basically, on the lightroom side of things I should not set the paper type

profile--this is done ONLY on the printer side and with some further

experiments a few minutes ago, it appears LR detects the paper type I

select in the Printer and responds accordingly with good output.  If I

select a specific paper profile in LR, then the colors are wrong--

I am a happy camper after too many hours messing with this--on with the

printing project that started this issue.

• 12. Re: Issue: color print not true

Well, I still think something is not right. I use a Canon printer, and I use Canon and Red River paper. When I choose to use Red River paper and allow Lightroom to manage the color, I still have to go to the printer driver (Page Setup) and choose the type of paper that the Red River instructions tell me to choose. Then, in Lightroom, I choose the profile for the exact paper ( a profile that I downloaded from the Red River website) that I'm using. And I get very good matches on my prints.

• 13. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                  paulmegan Level 1

I agree it does not seem right that I cannot put in the downloaded profile

from InkPress into LR and get a good result.  I will try some things and

appreciate it if I can get back to the forum after a few more experiments.

The prints I made this afternoon are fine in the settings I mentioned in

the posts, but perhaps they could be better.

• 14. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                    paulmegan Level 1

I cannot figure out why I cannot use color profiles.  Turns out I have the

same problem in Photoshop elements.  To summarize again:

Devices etc:

Windows 7 on a Dell quadcore desktop (5 years old)

Photoshop Elements 10

Lightroom 5.7

Epson Stylus Photo Pro R2400 (about 7 years old--drivers updated

today--probably the original ones that came with it))

I have been using Lightroom since ver 3 and Elements since ver 6  with same

printer all the time and not had this happen before.

If I set the printer to no color management and choose a paper (such as

Inkpress Luster) in the printer page setup

and if I set either Photoshop or Lightroom to control color via the proper

profile for the selected paper, I get magenta instead of red, and some

other funky color changes as well in either of the programs.

If I choose an option in the profiles list which appears to be kind of

generic for the printer and use this in either Lightroom or Photoshop, I

get good prints and by the changes in print speed depending on the choices

I make, it seems that the printer and the software are communicating.  I

can't get ICC profiles for different papers to work in either program--? a

printer issue in using the ICC information?

Screen shots as follows:

see notes BELOW each photo

Original photo of Sierra Snowplant--actually more crimson than even seen

here

First of 3 pix of printer settings

Second page of printer settings

Last page of printer settings showing Color adjustment OFF

Lightroom setting in Print Module

With these settings I get what appears to be an accurate paper print of the

original pix

BUT.......

With the same printer settings and the lightroom settings shown

Then I select the downloaded ICC profile for my paper

and I get this result when printing

and..if I allow the printer manage colors I get this ugly rendition

I have no idea what I am doing wrong--it is likely operator error, as

usual, but can anyone spot what is going wrong??

• 15. Re: Issue: color print not true

None of your pictures posted. In order to include pictures you have to do it by using the forum interface. Photos will not post through e-mail or phone. Here's a suggestion. Have Lightroom let the printer manage the colors. Then choose the paper type and the paper profile in the printer driver. I have done it both ways using my printer, and I get excellent results either way.

• 16. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                        paulmegan Level 1

I would like to solve the mysteries in my system, just because "it should

work!".  I am able to print with some settings, so I can still work.

The suggestion to work in Lightroom with printer managing color produces an

ugly brown rather than the crimson of the original and it matters not what

settings I use on the printer setup page--

If I let LR control color, then some settings (which I think are the

overarching settings for the printer) work OK but paper specific profiles

turn crimson to magenta.

Elements behaves differently: I get reasonable prints with any settings

when the printer controls (unlike LR) but when the program controls color

some settings have the magenta shift in the red range (the whole print is

NOT washed in magenta--just color changes  in the reds) and others print

OK--and the aberrancies are the same as what happens in LR with the same

settings--i.e. LR and Elements screw up the same way for the same settings

when Program controls color.

I will probably continue to obsess about this but life and time are short,

so unless someone has some magical ideas, I will disappear into the digital

haze--maybe buy a new printer (?Canon)

Thanks

• 17. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                          Modesto Vega Level 2

The Epson Stylus Photo R2400, assuming we are talking about the same printer, is a good printer, I wouldn't just buy a new printer just for this (and I know is a frustrating issue).

Where did you get the paper profiles from? What happens if you soft proof using the paper profiles? Do you get gamut warnings? Sorry if all of this has been asked before.

Also are you on version 5.7.1 and not on 5.7. 5.7.1 is the latest? It is a long shot but you never know.

• 18. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                            paulmegan Level 1

Most of the profiles from which I can choose appear to have been included

with the printer setup, named such as SPR2400 Premium Glossy or SPR2400

Premium Luster.  One choice from the profile list is just SPR2400 with no

other info and this works when LR controls color.  Other paper profiles

that I have downloaded include 2 from Inkpress for their Luster and their

Pro Silky paper--I still get the results described with these,i.e. If

Printer controls color then the Crimson of the Sierra snowplant becomes an

ugly brown.  If LR controls then I get a magenta.  That is to say, I cannot

seem to use specific paper profiles in either mode but can get OK prints if

I use LR controls and select the SPR2400 setting mentioned above--in fact

this is the only way I can get a decent print either with LR controls or

Printer controls.

LR version under Help is 5.7 but if I go to adobe to check updates am told

I am current.

Also I tested soft proof with LR controls color and the Inkpress Luster

profile.  No real issues--I get some minor gamut warnings if I turn

contrast to 100% but otherwise no warnings.

Based on what I noted earlier about what happens in Elements and LR, it

suggests a printer issue to me, but the printer will put out good quality

with some settings, so the hardware is OK

BTW  Google Sierra Snowplant==a beautiful early spring alpine flower found

just 8 km from my house near Reno Nevada at 2000 meters elevation.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Modesto Vega <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 19. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                              Modesto Vega Level 2

Just googled Sierra Snowplant, it is indeed beautiful and can also see how some of those tones could cause some trouble when printing.

It also seems that, perhaps not surprisingly, you are not the 1st one to have this problem, I just came across this post How to use SPR2400 profiles?: Printers and Printing Forum: Digital Photography Review (I googled SPR2400). My guess is that the profile cannot handle that colour.

1. When you set the profile under Color Manager to Manage by Printer, are you actually changing the printer on the advanced settings to "Color Management: Color Controls"?
                                              2. When you set the profile under Color Manager to the paper profile, are you actually changing the printer on the advanced settings to "Color Management: ICM, ICC/ICM Profile: Off, and Paper: to whatever paper your using?

Sorry, there are basic questions. I am sure you are. If you are setting the LR and the printer as described in point 2, what do you choose for Print Resolution, Media Type, Intent, Print Adjustments.

• 20. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                paulmegan Level 1

If I tell LR to manage color then I tell Printer to not manage color by

selection ICM then checking Color management off so that all profile

choices are grayed out.  If I tell LR to have the printer manage color then

I choose the ICM button and choose the Input profile as sRGB (default) and

the printer profile as the Paper profile from a menu list ( or the SPR2400

profile with nothing else attached which does usually work).  As noted

previously, with some settings ( LR manages color with the SPR2400 profile

selection and the advanced printer settings are ICM checked and no color

management selected)  then I get a reasonable rendition of the photo, hence

the printer seems able to reproduce to crimson color.  The problem occurs

when instead of this mysterious SPR2400 selection from the profile list, I

use a specific paper profile that the color of the plant turns from crimson

to magenta.

Also having the printer manage color never works with any settings I have

tried (2 hours of marching through the printer setup choices--always ugly

brown rather than crimson plant.)

BTW this problem is not exclusive this plant photo--I have a snowcat

tractor at a ski area that is an orange color and it turns a reddish purple

when I tell LR to use specific paper profiles (printer color control off),

and when I set the Printer to control the color and use any paper profile,

I get the same ugly brown instead of the orange.  I get a good print if LR

controls color and the profile selection is that SPR2400 with no paper name

attached.  Something seems to be tripping over something else but ????

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Modesto Vega <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 21. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                  Modesto Vega Level 2

SPR2400 is a generic printer profile, paper independent. I think the problem is with the paper profiles which probably have a problem handling orangish and reddish colours.

The only 2 ways I can think to confirm this is to create a printer profile for your printer and type of paper or to use some other lustre paper, like Red River, they have profiles available for r2400. If you get the same problem with other paper, I think is hardware/software problem. If you don't it is the profiles. The best option would give you better results.

• 22. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                    paulmegan Level 1

I finally figured out how to get pictures into the forum:

Original image to be printed via LR5

IMG_0504.JPG

Image with LR5 set to Printer controls color and Printer set to any choice of Paper type with input as sRGB:

Result with Printer controlling color.jpg

Print with LR5 set to control color with any paper profile choice in the list --choice of profile does not matter as results are all the same:

Color printed with specific ICC for Inkpress Luster.jpg

Finally, print with LR5 controlling color but profile in LR set to

SPR2400  choice from the defaults available that came with printer:

IMG_0504.JPG

• 23. Re: Issue: color print not true

Where is this sRGB Input profile coming from? I don't understand that. You shouldn't be using any input profiles. You should turn color management off in the printer, but choose the paper type according to the instructions that are with your paper or that you got from the website. There is no input profile. The only profile you need to worry about is the paper. As an example, I use a Canon Pixma Pro-100. If I decide to print on Red River UltraPro glossy paper these are the steps:

1. Go to page setup in the Lightroom print module and turn off color management.

2. In the paper type (in the printer driver) I choose Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, as instructed by the Red River sheet.

3. Next, make sure I have selected the appropriate paper size and quality in the printer driver.

4. In Lightroom, in the print module, color management, I choose the Red River profile for UltraPro Glossy paper.

That gets everything set the way it needs to be done, and I get good prints. There is nothing anywhere about an input profile. Lightroom doesn't use sRGB, But that doesn't matter.

I don't know if this will help at all. But you have got an extra step in there somewhere that is throwing things off for your printing.

• 24. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                        paulmegan Level 1

I will try the Red River idea tonight: Please see the photos I added to the thread--I just figured out how to get these pix into the forum

Thanks--(I am a 70 yo duffer who wrote his first Fortran program in 1967 but programming and manipulating computer products are 2 different animals)

• 25. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                          Modesto Vega Level 2

Could I suggest trying something else? Try printing https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-7082389-714300/Color+printed+with +specific+ICC+for+Inkpress+Lus… , which I understand was printed using the paper profile, to JPEG, exact same steps but to JEPG.

If the profile is wrong it should look the image you posted. If there is an issue with the printer, it should look fine. I'll check the thread tomorrow.

• 26. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                            paulmegan Level 1

I downloaded the Red River Luster profiles for the R2400.  They recommend

that I choose Premium Luster as the paper type in the Advanced printer

setup, which I have been using anyway.

Results unchanged in both Elements and LR5--the abnormal results are not

the same in both programs but there are abnormal results, again to

reiterate:

If Lightroom Controls color--all paper choices produce the magenta shift

except the SPR2400 profile choice that came with the printer, then color

looks OK--also see comment below about the stray profile when monitor was

calibrated--this works OK as well

If LR5 used but printer controls color--all choices produce the ugly brown,

including the

SPR2400

• 27. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                              paulmegan Level 1

As far as I can tell, I am doing as you outline.  To use LR as color

manager, I select a paper profile on the Print module page in the area

where one can also choose to have Printer control color if one wants, and I

go to page setup and turn off printer color management, in my printer this

is a button for ICM and a check box for No color management--after this all

the choices such as Input and printer setup etc are grayed out. I also

enter the paper type in the Page setup.

You asked about the sRGB as input profile--that is seen only if I have

asked the Printer to manage color,

• 28. Re: Issue: color print not true

Okay, I misunderstood part of what you were saying. Do you have specific paper profiles for the specific paper you are using?

• 29. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                  paulmegan Level 1

Here are screen shots of what my LR5 setup to have LR contol color look like.  Hopefully this will help with my trying to communicate what I am doing.

The profile is from Red River for their Luster and they suggest on the website that in the printer I choose Ultra Premium Luster as paper type.

Lightroom setup

LR WITH rED rIVER.jpg

Then under Page Setup for the printer, the first level is:

Printer setting Pg 1.jpg

Then after clicking Properties one sees:

Printer setting pg 2.jpg

Then under Advanced one sees:

printer settings pg 3.jpg

As far as I can tell, this setting with ICM checked and the No color Correction box checked is the only way I can turn of printer color management.  The other radio buttons do not have an option to turn off printer color management--I've tried them all.

• 30. Re: Issue: color print not true

I wish I knew what to tell you. What you have selected looks right to me. On another forum, someone who knows a lot more about printing than I do has stated on numerous occasions that Epson and the Mac don't cooperate as well as they should. I don't know anything more about it than that.

• 31. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                      paulmegan Level 1

Yes.  I have profiles for Inkpress Luster and Pro Silky,  and RR luster (as

part of the experiment to try to figure out where this issue is coming from.

I also just posted screen shots of how I have things set up in LR.

• 32. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                        paulmegan Level 1

Thanks for tryingMac is not and issueusing Win 7

• 33. Re: Issue: color print not true

Yeah, don't know what I was thinking.

• 34. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                            paulmegan Level 1

Do you mean I should print the original without intervention by lightroom? I printed it using Windows Picture Manager and the Epson printer and the colors are OK. The linked picture in your reply is a screenshot of the print preview of an attempt to print the crimson image using LR controlling color   with the specific Inkpress profile for the selected Luster paper. The paper print looks the same as the preview i.e. magenta

To quote:

“Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).”

1. Print of the original photo to the Epson printer using Windows Picture Manager (which I presume has no intrinsic color control but leaves all to the printer). I am asked to select a paper type but have no other printer control such as profile selection (although again I presume selecting the Luster paper selects that profile intrinsic in the printer)===result is crimson flower like the original.

2. From Lightroom with setting Printer Controls Color and paper selected as Luster in printer page setup and Printer NOT set to ICM but just to the radio button for Color Control (choices seen on one of the screen shots I posted yesterday) I get the ugly brown .  BUT if I choose ICM and then choose a specific profile such as RR Luster or Inkpress Luster I STILL GET THE SAME UGLY BROWN

3 In Lightroom, If I choose to have LR control the color and choose a paper specific profile with the printer set to no color correction, I get magenta BUT if the choice in Lightroom is not a specific color profile but the apparently generic SPR2400 , then I get crimson.

4. Just to add to the confusion, in Photoshop Elements, Setting to Printer Controls Color and using a paper profile in the printer page setup such as Inkpress Luster, I do not get the ugly brown seen with the same settings in LR, I get a good crimson of the original.

In example 3 above, setting the paper TYPE to Luster and then choosing ICM with the same paper type profile might be a double correction ? In the same setting choosing SPR2400 as the profile may not apply a double correction and I get good color

But what about he fact that the same settings in Elements and LR when Printer Controls color produce different results--ugly brown in LR and original crimson in Elements.

I am a fan of BBC mysteries, Agatha Christie,  Poirot etc, so perhaps he should be summoned??

This is one of those computer issues that is not intrinsically important--not my livelihood at stake, but just like a coding bug-Why Won't it Work (and it used to).

The machine I use for photo editing and printing is not used for much of anything else and has only had upgrades to LR, the antivirus program, java and such

I have considered doing a system restore to several months back but I have never had a system restore work on this machine and am reluctant to try again.

Lots of words but precision in description is difficult to achieve..

• 35. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                              Modesto Vega Level 2

Could please confirm that this an accurate summary of your problem? Sorry I know I am going back to basics but I am just looking for a straight yes/no answer, please only give more details if they answer is no.

1) You have a photo in the Development module looking like

IMG_0504.JPG

2) When you go into the Print module, choose any of the papers profiles mentioned in this thread the printer turns out this (which is obviously incorrect)

InkpressLusterPrint.jpg

3) The image you are printing is JPG image and not a raw image

• 36. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                                paulmegan Level 1

Yes to all 3 , reiterating that in the print module the selection is for LR

to control color and a paper profile is selected (doesn't matter which

one--same magenta output)  and printer color control  is off

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Modesto Vega <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 37. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                                  Modesto Vega Level 2

What are your brightness and contrast settings under Print Adjustment?

• 38. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                                    paulmegan Level 1

I have left Print Adjustment turned off in my examples in the thread,

although I did experiment with changing the settings a few times--made no

difference in the outcome

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Modesto Vega <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 39. Re: Issue: color print not true
                                                                                      Modesto Vega Level 2

The only thing I can think of is that something either Lightroom or the printer is turning the Brightness up. If you look at the print, the dry gras is too bright, brighter than the photo. If something is turning the Brightness up, perhaps even the Contrast, then the colour of the crimson will be too bright and no longer the original colour.

If it turn out that nothing is turning the Brightness up, I am at a loss. What you are seeing should not be happening?

1 2 Previous Next