5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 7:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Playing video

mbreckenridge6200 Level 1

I just upgraded to Premier Elements 13 (my previous version was 8).  I can view videos in version 8, but I get an error in error in 13:  "The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compresser/decompresser (codec) installed."  Is there a fix for this?  Why would it play in 8 and not 13?

• 1. Re: Playing video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of Quicktime do you have installed?

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Playing video
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mbreckenridge6200

It is important for you to distinguished between the Premiere Elements 13 Editor and the Elements Organizer 13 that comes with Premiere Elements 13. There have been a lot of

recent reports of no audio playback in the Elements Organizer 13 player so it is very important that we are clear on your details. Your error message is consistent with the Elements Organizer 13 shortcomings.

1. Elements Organizer 13 or Premiere Elements 13 Editor?

2. What is the format of your video files that are involved - video compression and audio compression and file extension, AVCHD.mts with Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio perhaps? If not sure, then try to gather the information on the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video.

3. If you are having this problem in the Elements Organizer 13, can you import the file into Premiere Elements 13 Editor instead and have no problems with the file?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Playing video

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I was able to open the files in the Editor so I can see them now.  Not sure why I can't watch them from the Organizer, but it is what it is.  I can deal with opening the Editor to see the files.

Again, many thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Playing video

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I was able to open the files in the Editor so I can see them now.  Not sure why I can't watch them from the Organizer, but it is what it is.  I can deal with opening the Editor to see the files.

Again, many thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Playing video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mbreckenridge6200

Thanks for the follow up and the good news that you were able to open your files in the Premiere Elements Editor.

The perk there is that, when you import your files into the Premiere Elements Editor first, copies are automatically placed in the Elements Organizer 13.

Sometimes that can be a troubleshooting aid. If use that route to get files into the Elements Organizer, sometime you get lucky and the copy now works

in the Elements Organizer...sometimes not, but...

Best wishes

ATR