5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 10:24 AM by Szalam

Lyric video/ kinetic typography help (beginner)

jairdm

Hi Everyone,

I am quite new to after effects but have watched a lot of tutorials to gain some fundamental knowledge.

My first project is a lyric video I am creating for a school assignment. My goal is to have 3d lyrics spin around an object.

I created the lyrics in photoshop and was wondering whether to merge them all before importing to after effects or if I should keep each line as a separate layer (in photoshop).

Also I want to add a few particle effects to certain words (so 'fire' has flames and 'frozen' has an cold blue effect. Is it possible to apply particle effects to a specific word and have the particles follow that word as it spins, and if so how?

By the way, I will be using Trapcode's layer emitter for this part.

Lastly, how do I synchronize layer animations so that if I want to change the speed/position of my lyrics it don't have to meticulously adjust each line.

Thank you to everyone who helps me with these questions and for your other contributions to the After Effects community. You have all made the daunting task of learning this complicated program a lot smoother and easier for me. Without these forums and tutorial sites I would be completely lost.

• 1. Re: Lyric video/ kinetic typography help (beginner)
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

jairdm wrote:

My goal is to have 3d lyrics spin around an object.

I created the lyrics in photoshop and was wondering whether to merge them all before importing to after effects or if I should keep each line as a separate layer (in photoshop).

I you need to manipulate them line by line, or word by word, then keep them layered according to that requirement.  So, if you aim to animate each word individually, you're best off making sure each word is a separate layer before importing to AE.

Also I want to add a few particle effects to certain words (so 'fire' has flames and 'frozen' has an cold blue effect. Is it possible to apply particle effects to a specific word and have the particles follow that word as it spins, and if so how?By the way, I will be using Trapcode's layer emitter for this part.

That's a question with a million different answers.  Yes, you can link particle generators to text layers, in various different ways, typically using Expressions. But without specific questions, it's too broad a topic to just give you a simple set of instructions.

Lastly, how do I synchronize layer animations so that if I want to change the speed/position of my lyrics it don't have to meticulously adjust each line.

Once again, a broad question with a  million possible answers.  But the simple answer is that you will often have to meticulously adjust many many layers if the timing of something changes up front.  Being well organised and planning carefully are the most important ways to minimise problems down the track.  As you get better with After Effects you will notice patterns in your workflow that will allow you to streamline.

Generally speaking, use markers on your timeline to highlight events.  Keep layers within the same time area grouped in the timeline stack to avoid confusion.  Use label layers and colour settings to keep your timeline organised.  Precompose large groups of layers where possible.  Make layers shy {hidden) if you have lots of layers and need to simplify what you see in the timeline.

• 2. Re: Lyric video/ kinetic typography help (beginner)
            jairdm Level 1

Thanks for your response.

To clarify, is it possible to animate a line of text so that words appear in succession or is that what you meant when you suggested to keep each word in a separate layer.

Also I just finished creating a 3d text in Photoshop but I am not sure how to import it into After Effects. A tutorial I read showed a 3d Photoshop check-box when importing. It might have been a different version of after effects (I'm running CC 2014).

When I try to import the .psd file as a composition it just shows a 2D image.

Thanks again for the help. The reasons my questions are so broad is because I agree with you that being organized from the start is crucial. I want to make sure I have the capabilities to succeed before delving into the more advanced part of my project, which in turn leads to vague questions. Hopefully as I progress, my questions will become more definite.

• 3. Re: Lyric video/ kinetic typography help (beginner)
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can animate text to do just about anything using Text Animators, but yes, it's usually a good idea to create the elements that comprise the scenes in your animations as separate layers.

You cannot import 3D text layers into AE anymore as 3D layers. You have to rasterize them. If you really need 3D text in your design then there are many other options for doing so in AE.

Here's the deal though, creating a successful animation is a lot more complicated and requires a lot more time that you seem to be expecting. Just getting the timing right takes some folks months or even years to learn. Sure, you can buy a template that has lots of cool moves and drop in your own graphics and produce something that may look pretty professional in just a few hours but effectively telling a story is a lot more complicated than just making text fly around the screen to the beat of some music. You have to understand how the eye and the brain interpret movement, contrast, scale, color and how those elements of your design work with sound. If you have a really good understanding of those principals then mastering the tools in AE so that you get what you expect is going to take about 10 times as long as you expect it to. Polishing those skills so that you don't need to do a full screen ram preview or render your project to see if it's going to work can take years.

• 4. Re: Lyric video/ kinetic typography help (beginner)
                jairdm Level 1

Thanks for the response.

Do you know what program/plug-in could allow me to create 3d text and is most similar to photoshop? I am thinking that cinema 4d would work well, but I would appreciate your insight.

Also I just created the basic, rough animations for my music video in after effects using the regular 2d text. I do realize that this project is extremely challenging, but since my final goal is to try and learn as much about after effects as possible, the knowledge and experience I gain from exploring the spectrum from basic composing to advanced 3d is more important to me than the overall quality of my project. I think now is the best time for me to begin to build proficiency in after effects since this project has no downsides to fail and invaluable potential to my development as a video artist .

• 5. Re: Lyric video/ kinetic typography help (beginner)
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jairdm wrote:

Do you know what program/plug-in could allow me to create 3d text and is most similar to photoshop? I am thinking that cinema 4d would work well, but I would appreciate your insight.

Cinema 4D (which comes free with AE) is certainly a good place to start. However, Element 3d, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, and Mettle's ShapeShifter will all render faster and, for simple things, might be a better choice because of it.

If you do want to go down the full 3d route, go through these resources: details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects

And, if you're pretty new to AE, go through these resources first before you do anything else: Getting started with After Effects A proper, solid foundation will make everything else go much smoother. Well, it'll make everything in AE go smoother, I can't promise it'll help you get a boyfriend or girlfriend though