13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2015 9:29 AM by ManiacJoe

Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images

JamieY Level 1

I Am using the latest lightroom. I have been having problems for

months and have searched everywhere for help. Basically I am in develop mode and viewing the images one by one and they stay fuzzy for about 30 seconds or more and then they sharpen up. it is causing my workflow to take much longer then it used to on LR3. I have made seperate catalogs for each session. I build 1:1 previews on import. I'm doing everything how I used to in previous lightrooms. I upgraded my RAM to 4 gigs thinking that would help and it's not.

• 1. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

What OS are you using?

4 gigs would probably be the minimum one should attempt these days.

What camera are you using?  How big are the files?

• 2. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
            Simon G E Garrett Level 2

Lightroom 5 takes longer to render an image than Lightroom 3, but if it's taking 30 seconds then either you have very very large images or a very very slow processor.  On my 4-and-a-half-year-old PC it takes about 1-2 seconds for develop module to render 36 Mpixel D800 images.

Rendering 1:1 previews on import makes it faster to see 1:1 images in library module, but does not affect develop module.  Develop module doesn't use previews, but after it has rendered an image, it stores a develop module rendering in the "Camera Raw Cache".  If you go back to the same image in Develop (without any changes) then if the image is in the cache it should render more quickly (less than a second on my machine).  I don't think there's any way of making it create those develop module renderings in advance, as you can with library module previews.  You can alter the camera raw cache size in Edit menu, Preferences, File handling tab.  I have mine set to 20G. 

Having separate catalogs doesn't make things faster (and IMHO loses many of the benefits of Lightroom's image management; I have a single catalog for my 70,000 images).  However, a 64-bit operating system with at least 8G memory definitely helps, as does a reasonably fast i5 or preferably i7 processor. 

• 3. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
              JamieY Level 1

I Am using windows xp and the d810 camera. I shoot jpeg so my files are big but not as big as raw.

• 4. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                JamieY Level 1

My machine is less than 3 years old i don't have the specs in front of me. Even in library mode it doesn't render it quickly. I literally have to sit and wait for 30 seconds to see if it was sharp. It like half renders and then will completely render.

• 5. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                  dj_paige Level 9

I Am using windows xp and the d810 camera. I shoot jpeg so my files are big but not as big as raw.

The size of the files is not important, it is the megapixels that matters and the D810 produces JPGs that can have the same megapixels as the RAWs.

By the way, how are you using LR5 and Windows XP? Lightroom 5 won't run on XP

Simon said "but if it's taking 30 seconds then either you have very very large images or a very very slow processor" and it sounds like he was just a tiny little bit off on his statement, you have BOTH very large images AND a very slow processor.

As far as I know, the way to speed this up is to get a faster CPU. More memory might help as well.

• 6. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                    JamieY Level 1

Thank you for all of your help.  I was actually wrong about a few things. 

Windows 7 home premium

8GB RAM

processor is AMD E-450 1.65 GHz

My C drive is 449 GB

D is 16.5 GB

and I am storing my photos and catalogs on my 1TB external

• 7. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                      dj_paige Level 9

You will get better performance by putting the catalog file and associated previews on your internal drive (if you have enough space), but I don't think that will really be a big boost. Nevertheless, it is worth a try.

• 8. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                        Modesto Vega Level 1

JamieY wrote:

It could be the camera, in particular the size of the files. I have a D600 (slightly smaller sensor 24 megapixels) and LR5.7 struggles with this camera, I have moaned in this forum, got some great feedback but it has resulted in little progress. I have photos in the catalog from an old D40 and has LR5.7 has no problems with it. By the way one of the reasons why I didn't get a D800 is that I calculated I needed a new computer and new storage to handle 1 year of photos.

• 9. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images

Moving the catalog and previews to an internal drive would be my first recommendation, too.

• 10. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                            dj_paige Level 9

Hi, Joe

Actually, that was my third recommendation, after getting a faster CPU and then more memory. Disk speed has little to do with the speed of rendering of photos in Lightroom, as I said I don't think it will give you a big boost.

• 11. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                              Modesto Vega Level 1

JamieY wrote:

Thank you for all of your help.  I was actually wrong about a few things.

Windows 7 home premium

8GB RAM

processor is AMD E-450 1.65 GHz

My C drive is 449 GB

D is 16.5 GB

and I am storing my photos and catalogs on my 1TB external

Something else to check is whether you Windows 7 Home Premium is 64bit or not. The amount of memory indicates a 64bit setup but it would not be the 1st 8GB laptop I see with Windows 7 Home 32bit which is a waste of 4GB of memory.

• 12. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images
                                schminsk42 Level 1

Having a similar problem but worse--just got Lightroom, am downloading my iPhoto library, first one with 350Gig and a lot of RAW files. Been loading an image for a few minutes and still not rendered. Computer is fast--brand new Mac Pro, using Drobo external HD with Thunderbolt connections, 16G RAM, so computer power should not be an issue. Is this what LR is like? Not good. iPhoto was way faster. But I think there's some other issue going on here. What will keep it from rendering?

• 13. Re: Problem with Lightroom 5.7 loading images

With all the issues that some people are having with the GPU acceleration, you might try turning that off (Preferences dialog, Performance tab) and see if that makes a difference.