8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 2:16 AM by jaa_edit

Track Select Tool

jaa_edit Level 1

Is there any way to make the Track (Forward) select tool default to just selecting a single track rather than ALL?

I very much would prefer that way round, as I often want to move multiple individual tracks in a sequence, whilst leaving others in place. Whereas having the command default to selecting all and pressing a modifier key to tell it to only select a single track means (as far as I know) that there is no way to then select (an) additional track(s) and then move those in sync whilst leaving the rest in place.

.... it's an animation/ VFX thing.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Track Select Tool
          shooternz Level 6

I dont (or rarely)  use it.... but maybe Select ALL then Deselect with Modifier might work.

What happens if you Lock Tracks or Untarget them before Select ALL?

Does the Shift Key figure in Selections?  Sometimes this key is used to "specify" single tracks.

• 2. Re: Track Select Tool
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Jaa_edit,

jaa_edit wrote:

Is there any way to make the Track (Forward) select tool default to just selecting a single track rather than ALL?

Shift-click with the Track Select Forward tool.

Thanks,
            Kevin

• 3. Re: Track Select Tool
              jaa_edit Level 1

It's shift-A to select a single track. But there is then no way to select multiple single tracks, with any combination of key presses.

The track select doesn't work that way (it's not like Avid).

• 4. Re: Track Select Tool
                jaa_edit Level 1

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi Jaa_edit,

jaa_edit wrote:

Shift-click with the Track Select Forward tool.

It's the default to just selecting a single track bit that's key here.

Selecting individual tracks (with appropriate linked selections) isn't a problem. Selecting several of them without selecting all of them is.

(Say, just moving V6, V5, and A1 and keeping those in sync with each other - but leaving V1-4 and A2-6 where they currently are)

Before CC, this was default. You could use the tool to select a single track, and then hold shift to select additional tracks. Now the default is that the tool selects all when you click the mouse, or you hold shift before clicking to select a single track.

• 5. Re: Track Select Tool

Hi Jaa_edit,

It's the default to just selecting a single track bit that's key here.

Selecting individual tracks (with appropriate linked selections) isn't a problem. Selecting several of them without selecting all of them is.

(Say, just moving V6, V5, and A1 and keeping those in sync with each other - but leaving V1-4 and A2-6 where they currently are)

Before CC, this was default. You could use the tool to select a single track, and then hold shift to select additional tracks. Now the default is that the tool selects all when you click the mouse, or you hold shift before clicking to select a single track.

OK. I can see why this annoys you. I would file this bug/feature request here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug I'll also raise the issue with engineering. For now, locking tracks is the workaround.

Thanks,
                  Kevin

• 6. Re: Track Select Tool
                    jaa_edit Level 1

Thanks Kevin. I'm fairly sure I already filed a bug report/ feature request some months ago (along with a few other things), but I can go round again if you think it'd help.

• 7. Re: Track Select Tool

OK, Jaa. Thanks! As an editor, I can see why you want this functionality back. Let's hope we can make that happen.

Regards,
                      Kevin