1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 2:53 PM by photo-enthusiast

Aperture import is not working

PuppyDogMom Level 1

I just installed Lr 5.0 and upgraded to 5.7. I'm trying to import my Aperture library, but Lr does not recognize any photos that I have on my laptop. Using a MacBook Pro. I have no idea what to do. I'm so new to this, I don't even know what questions to ask. I just need help!

• 1. Re: Aperture import is not working
          photo-enthusiast Level 1

When you say it "doesn't recognize any photos", what do you mean?

I'll try to guess.  You probably cannot import because you're not using the Aperture plugin.  It could be you only have PNG files, or some other compatible format, but that's unlikely.

If you're importing your Aperture Library, you'll need to go to "File" "Plugins", "Import from Aperture", or something to that effect.  You find your Aperture library, and it begins the import process.

Depending on what you're trying to do, this could be a simple process, or one that requires pre-work and post-work on your part.  This guide is helpful:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/ready-move-aperture-iphoto/

Lightroom does not make file organization easy, and it does not mask file organization like Aperture.  You may want to look for other threads I've posted on how to relocate your masters in Aperture before importing to Lightroom.

Finally, most of the metadata will make it across.  Your masters should make it across.  Aperture image adjustments will not.  Lightroom supposedly copies "Aperture Previews", which is the image created by your adjustments.  But I've found it only copies about 1/3 of them.  The import process is one way, so you want to make sure you get it right the last time.

Highly recommend exporting a test Aperture library or using a small one to test with first.  I've run 15 tests so far and am still not happy with the results, given a few remaining bugs.  YMMV.