8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 12:06 AM by Briangregg

Text over video clip

Briangregg

Can text be written over a clip without the need to add a second video clip

• 1. Re: Text over video clip
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Briangregg

If you want text over a video clip in Premiere Elements Editor, then you add a title file in the track above the video clip.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? The reply above will be the same nonetheless. I ask that

question in case the discussion gets into version/computer operating system specifics.

Please let me know if I have interpreted your question correctly. If not, please give more details of what you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Text over video clip
            Briangregg Level 1

Version is 12, operating system is Windows 7. I seem to remember that in version 8 you could put text directly on to a video clip rather than create a title file. Also there were many more motions that you could apply.

Thanks for the info.

BG

• 3. Re: Text over video clip
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Briangregg

There is no way that I have ever found Premiere Elements12 Editor or earlier (including 8) where the user could add text to a clip without creating a text title above it.

There is a devious way (for Premiere Elements 12 and earlier) to do this if it is a must do.

Open the Elements Organizer 12, right click your photo's thumbnail, select Edit Menu/Add Caption. Type out your caption. It will appear under the Elements Organizer 12's thumbnail for the photo, not in it.

Select the thumbnail, select Create/Slideshow. In the Slideshow Editor preferences that open before the Slideshow Editor opens, put a check mark next to "Include photo captions as Text".

When the Slideshow Editor opens with your photo with its caption now appearing within the photo (not underneath it), go to Output and select Edit with Premiere Elements.

When you make that selection, Premiere Elements 12 should open with the text within the photo (with no text title over it). The big however is that you cannot

edit that text within the photo.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If you have any recollection of details of how you did this in version 8, please post details. Also, please explain what you mean by "motions" in be applied.

Do you mean effects or something else? Are you referring to Text Animations in the Premiere Elements' Titler?

• 4. Re: Text over video clip
                Briangregg Level 1

On reflection, I may have been thinking of ProShow Producer which does have the ability to place text over a clip, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will certainly give your tip a go.

Regarding “motions” I feel that these are somewhat limited within Premier Elements. Maybe I have spent too much time with ProShow.

• 5. Re: Text over video clip
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Briangregg

Thanks for the reply.

I am not clear on the motions that you are used to working with in ProShow and which you do not find in Premiere Elements.

Are you referring to something like pan, zoom, rotate individually or applied randomly to a still.

With regard to them...please check out

Expert workspace's fx Effects/Presets/ and the 25% and 40% PiPs

Expert workspace's Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom Tool

Expert workspace's fx Effects/Presets/and the Horizontal or Vertical pan or zoom categories

Also, to be explored is keyframing a property so that the property varies across the duration of the clip

(such as Scale for Zoom and Position for Pan).

If you would give me an idea of what type of motion you have in mind for your stills, I might be able to

give you more information on how to achieve that effect in Premiere Elements.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Text over video clip
                    Briangregg Level 1

Thanks for the tips, have now been able to achieve what I wanted to, and have also bought the Classroom in a Book for Premier Elements 12. Excellent

Regards

Brian Gregg

• 7. Re: Text over video clip
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Braingregg

Thanks for the good news that you have accomplished your video editing goal. Great job.

I have not used the Classroom in a Book for 12 or other versions. There should be lots of good information in it.

But, I would caution you about the lesson samples. Flaws in some of the lesson samples have been reported for that

book series. So, if any problems in that regard, we can work through the details to determine if the problem that

you might encounter is due to a flaw in the lesson sample or a problem with Premiere Elements itself.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements 12 projects. And, by the way, if you have not updated 12 to 12.1 Update,

please do so. A major perk of the 12.1 Update is that it fixes an Expert workspace text style issue. Other perks also but less noticeable.

ATR

• 8. Re: Text over video clip
                        Briangregg Level 1

Many thanks for all your help. I will take note of what you said about “Classroom In A Book”

Regards

Brian Gregg