4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 11:41 AM by nelsbangerter

Title Tool questions...

nelsbangerter Level 1

I'm a professional feature doc editor new to Premiere from FCP7.  I'm creating titles in a project and running into very annoying inconveniences with the implementation of titling in Premiere.  I understand how it's working -- each title references a particular instance, so changing a title using the tool changes all other instances of that title.  But this is causing me hell and I don't understand why it works that way...

To modify a title without changing previous versions of my timeline, here's what I have to do:

1. Open the title tool.  (okay, fine.)

2. Create New Title.   (sure, if you insist)

3. Name the new title (Why doesn't it populate the name with the previous name!?)

4. Edit the title (great).

5. Find the title I've created in the Project (why can't I send titles to a specific bin?! -- or can I?)

6. Hold Alt & drag the title into its old position (ugh mouse mouse mouse -- is there a keyboard command that would do this?).

7. Find the title I've created in the Project again.  Move it to a bin with the other titles.

In FCP it worked like this:

1. Edit the title.

To create a new title based on an old title in Premiere here's what I have to do:

1. Open the title tool.  (okay, fine.)

2. Create New Title.   (sure, if you insist)

3. Name the new title (Why doesn't it populate the name with the previous name!?)

4. Edit the title (great).

5. Add the title to the project.

7. Find the title I've created in the Project.  Move it to a bin with the other titles.

In FCP it worked like this:

1. Copy & Paste an old title.

2. Edit the title.

Keeping separate versions of my timelines is critical (and totally logical and professional), so I hate, and am basically SCARED, that changes I make in a current timeline could affect (without my being alerted!) stuff elsewhere in the project.  Is there a good reason it's implemented this way?  Is there any corollary to FCP's "Make Clip Independent" command?  I'm happy to learn a new program, and happy that Premiere is working to build something better than FCP7, so does anyone have any suggestions to streamlining my process here?  (the alt & drag tip I learned from a search). 

I suppose in the rare case where I use the exact same title several times in a project, this behavior could be useful.  But that happens much more rarely than when I edit (or even create) any one particular title.  Couldn't Adobe at least give us the choice to make them independent?

Thanks,

- Nels