3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 4:55 AM by dhannams_upei

InDesign 2014 email hyperlink doesn't work when the interactive pdf is viewed in a browser tab

dhannams_upei

When we create an interactive pdf in inDesign CC 2014, the email link does not provide both the 'subject' and the 'to' when the client opens it in a browser view. Works fine when downloaded and opened in Acrobat, but most clients will use the browser method. How does one solve this issue when making the PDF, or, how does one prevent the pdf from opening in a browser? There used to be a 'prevent opening in browser' in older versions of Acrobat, but it's not there in Acrobat xi. Thanks, in advance!

• 1. Re: InDesign 2014 email hyperlink doesn't work when the interactive pdf is viewed in a browser tab
          Doc Maik Level 4

You cannot solve when making the PDF, because if fine in Acrobat, then the link is OK. You also cannot prevent it from opening in the browser, because the browser handles how to open PDFS. The browser included PDF readers can be switched off or there are (probably) settings to always open the PDF in an external application (Adobe Reader etc.).

However, I also create PDFs from within Indesign (though not interactive ones), which include hyperlinks for e-mail, and put them on our website. If I use Chrome and click on any PDF link, it opens in the browser and hovering over an e-mail address reveals the mailto: link (subject not included, doesn't matter anyway) and a click opens my e-mail client. Works perfectly.

Can you provide a link to one of your online PDFs for testing?

• 2. Re: InDesign 2014 email hyperlink doesn't work when the interactive pdf is viewed in a browser tab
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you go to your browser (at the moment I'm using Firefox) and go to options and Applications. You will see what file types are opened by what program.

Browsers for some reason are building their own PDF readers, like FoxitReader, and Chrome has their own, and I think IE has one, problem is that 3rd party pdf readers don't include all the modules for a PDF, so certain aspects can appear incorrect or fail to function at all.

It's best to include a line with the link to the PDF that it's best viewed in Acrobat Reader and provide a link/badge to download reader. Or a link to instructions to change the default program for opening from the Browser options.

• 3. Re: InDesign 2014 email hyperlink doesn't work when the interactive pdf is viewed in a browser tab
              dhannams_upei Level 1

Thanks. We're a university and we send out a lot of e-invites and e-ads. Most people have no clue whether they're looking at a pdf in their browser or Acrobat Reader. Since there's no way to adjust users' browser settings, we will just have to live with the fact that the email subject won't fill in when clicked on from a browser view. Thank you for confirming what I suspected. No work-around.