9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 9:23 AM by Eric5252

Flash CS6 cannot save document

Eric5252 Level 1

I am posting a new discussion of this since I couldn't find an answer for this for a Windows computer. I am using Windows 8.1 and Flash CS6 using the Creative Cloud Application.

Whenever I try to save a .fla document it gives an error saying it "cannot save the document as [filename] try changing the filename or file location".

I do work over a network but have been saving the file to my desktop and moving it back to my network file when I'm done editing it. But now its happening even with local files on my desktop. Is anyone else having this issue or found a fix? 

• 1. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if changing to a local file and using a new file name fails, that usually means your local flash player is open and playing that swf.

open your running processes and check.

• 2. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document
            Eric5252 Level 1

Check processes but this is not the case. We are working on them and saving as .fla then go back and build the .swf. The issue occures when trying to save over the file as an .fla.

• 3. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document

what do you mean by 'save over the file..'?

you are changing the file name and saving with a new file name, aren't you?

• 4. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document
                Eric5252 Level 1

No, simply editing a .fla file and trying to save it. That's it. It won't let me save the file once any changes are made. It is completely random and a few other people are having this same issue in the office. Recently we have changed our Antivirus software to Malwarebytes from Symantec. Besides that, there has been no other change in the network. It did start happening around the start of the new antivirus install to the network. There are no blocked messages or errors from the antivirus software either. Sorry for not disclosing this earlier. I just remembered. Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document

save with a new file name.  you shouldn't be using the same file name repeatedly anyway.  ie, append a version number.

some other software (like your av) may be failing to release the previously used file name.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document
                    Eric5252 Level 1

We tried renaming still wouldn't save. But we have uninstalled the AV on one user but given that now it doesn't happen with EVERY file it seems more random we just have to give it time to see if it errors out again. So far no issues, but I will keep you updated. Thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document

it may be a matter of fla file size and time.  the av may be taking longer to scan larger fla files and not releasing them as quickly as smaller fla files.

• 8. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document
                        Mediachic

I am having the same exact issue. Two of my students could not save their work at the end of class, although they were saving during class.  And I've tried saving to several different locations including a flash drive and it still won't save.  I can open up another Flash document and save it with no problem. I can open up Word and save without a problem. It's like they've done something inside this particular project where they can't save and I can't figure out what they've done. If anyone has anymore ideas it would be appreciated.

• 9. Re: Flash CS6 cannot save document
                          Eric5252 Level 1

Hey mediachic,

We have done a lot of troubleshooting for this issue and with NO help from Adobe support what so ever. They just keep repeating that they don't support individual networks and advise not to open or modify files over a network as it may/will cause corrupted files and not allow you to save. Try having them save the file to a local drive or flash drive and work on the project from there. So far this is the only work around that we have found for this but it is not bulletproof. We still have some users that are crashing in flash just not as often. Also, make sure there are no pending updates for Flash if there are update Flash and reboot. Hope that helps. Best of luck!