4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 3:01 PM by nanaknox

Why is my Action arrow grayed out?  I'm unable to run any actions.

nanaknox

I downloaded a set of actions to convert photos into color sketches.  I'm unable to run them because the Action Arrow button is grayed out and unavailable.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Why is my Action arrow grayed out?  I'm unable to run any actions.
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you selected an individual action or are is the Action Set with a folder icon still selected, which cannot be run, itself, only the individual actions.  If that’s not it or doesn’t make sense, then show us a screenshot of what you’re seeing.

• 2. Re: Why is my Action arrow grayed out?  I'm unable to run any actions.
            nanaknox Level 1

I think you’ve solved my problem.  I don’t have much experience running actions.  It seems to work now.  I’m still not too happy with the effect but, at least it runs now.  Thank you so much.

Linda Knox

lindaknox@gvtc.com

• 3. Re: Why is my Action arrow grayed out?  I'm unable to run any actions.
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

nanaknox wrote:

I downloaded a set of actions to convert photos into color sketches.  I'm unable to run them because the Action Arrow button is grayed out and unavailable.  What am I doing wrong?

If your referring to the actions palette's play button by "Action Arrow button" How this bottom works depends. If nothing is highlighted or just an action set is highlighted in the actions that button is grayed out and is not available for use. If an action or a step in an action its highlighted the button is a play button for the action from the beginning if the action is highlighted or the action is played from the highlighted step to the end.   If there is  one or more then one action step highlighted  and you hold down the Ctrl||CMD key the  Play Button becomes a Step button  The step or steps that are highlighted are executed the highlight moves to the next step after what was highlighted and execution stops. If you keep the key held down each additional click on the Step button will execute the next step.  You can single step through and action and watch the result of each step with each click..

When something is grayed out in Photoshop it usually means for the current Photoshop document state that feature is not available for use. Some condition or or element required does not currently exists.

• 4. Re: Why is my Action arrow grayed out?  I'm unable to run any actions.
                nanaknox Level 1

Thank you so much.  Now I understand that it works like a macro.  Your answer was very helpful.

Linda Knox

lindaknox@gvtc.com