7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 3:52 PM by Dave LaRonde

high quality only looks good when in full screen

MGMartino Level 1

I have a "15 MacBookPro using AE CC 2014.2..

So I typed some text within AE and dragged in a high resolution photo to make a simple video. My composition size was 1920x1080.  But the photo and text always look weird, sorta pixelated, unless they are full screen.  It's like the AE video can't handle being resized whether I'm watching it on quicktime or youtube, or even while working in AE.  However the high res photo looks great at any size when I view just as a photo, using the Preview application.

This has happened before on other videos I've made but it really bothered me because it just ruins the photo on this one.  if I make my video 720 it comes out not as noticeable but then if you try to watch the video full screen it gets blurry in the expected pixelated fashion, so that doesn't truly solve anything....I am just confused as to why after effects is not letting me make high quality videos that look good in a smaller video window (eg: the youtube video player if you don't click full screen)

below I attached a screen shot of what is happening.  This particular screen shot is from when I uploaded it on youtube and watched it.  But if I watch it in a small window using quicktime or even in AE, it looks the same...until you blow it up to full screen then it looks alright!

But I want people who just happen upon the video to be drawn into the photograph and bold text on screen not see some pixelated **** 

Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 8.17.31 PM.png

• 1. Re: high quality only looks good when in full screen
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your thin outlines on the fonts are going to fall apart when you have the media player scaled down. Here's why. Say those thin lines are 2 pixels wide. Say the Media player is set to 600 pixels wide instead of 1920. Divide 600 by 1920 and you get .3125 (or 31.25%) Multiply 2 pixels by .3125 and you get .625 and since there is no such thing as a fraction of a pixel the media player is going to make it's best guess where those white pixels should be and adjust the color to approximate what six tenths of a pixel would look like. The result is poor quality.

You can improve the quality by first, not using very thin lines in your design, and second, not putting high value pixels (white, red, blue, green at 255 for example) next to black ones (0). Learning how pixels behave is as important to a motion graphics designer as learning how a brush responds to the canvas for a painter working with oils. Video is limited to whole pixel brushes so you need to learn how to paint with them.

• 2. Re: high quality only looks good when in full screen
            MGMartino Level 1

Oh I see thank you for explaining that to me.  So white, red, blue, green next to black will look weird but what were you referencing when you said "at 255" and "(0)"?

Also you explained the fonts... but what about the photo? It is doing the same thing that the thin lines in the text are doing and quite frankly, the photo is what bothers me most.

• 3. Re: high quality only looks good when in full screen
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'll take a stab and say you're seeing artifacts from YouTube scaling; it's not a perfect process.  It's exaggerated at edges of high contrast, which the photo contains.  255 and 0 refer to 8-bit color levels.

• 4. Re: high quality only looks good when in full screen
                MGMartino Level 1

When you say "youtube scaling" do you mean what happens after using the 1080 youtube preset in Adobe Media Encoder?   Or what happens when you actually upload it to YouTube?  Because the photo in the video looks this way even when I watch it in Quicktime (before uploading it to youtube)

• 5. Re: high quality only looks good when in full screen
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The media player is doing the scaling. YouTube also recompresses your video for lower sizes and you have no control on that compression. The AME preset for YouTube is pretty good for having YouTube deliver pretty much what you send to them when folks viewing the video have the bandwidth to take the high rez download. The big problem with delivering streaming media is that you have no control over how it is going to be viewed so you have to compensate in the design to eliminate most of the compression and motion artifacts you know are going to show up. Thin lines and high contrast are not ever going to work as well as a video that looks like you shot something real....

• 6. Re: high quality only looks good when in full screen
                    MGMartino Level 1

Okay so I will keep that in mind for styling Text and choosing the proper colors/contrasts in the future.  But as for the photo, are you saying there is no way around having it look the way it does?

• 7. Re: high quality only looks good when in full screen
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Nope. No way around it.  Actually, as I look at the screen grab, the outline text looks a lot worse to me; I can deal with the picture.

Hey, it's not a movie theater, it's the internet, y'know?