6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 12:35 AM by kingkong888

How to Zoom and Pan in the program window.

kingkong888 Level 1

Hi,

I have been using scale to adjust larger than 4K image sequences so they fit 1080 and 4K output. I want to be able to zoom in and pan/tilt the program window so I can see the edges of the program window close up, so I can see to make a fine adjustment of scale. I want to be able to adjust scale precisely so I don't lose a single pixel, or include any black around the edges of the images. Of course I can't see the edges close up enough while looking at the entire image, to really see if I have scaled too much or too little. I know how to zoom in the program window, but how do I pan over to the side and bottom edges ? Without being able to pan I instantly lose the edges of the frame when I zoom in the program window.

• 1. Re: How to Zoom and Pan in the program window.
          kingkong888 Level 1

Or is there another way to accomplish this ?

• 2. Re: How to Zoom and Pan in the program window.
            shooternz Level 6

Use the Scale and Motion Parameters instead of using a Mouse in the Program Monitor for ultimate control.

What ever...you still have to use a visual approach to adjusting and checking the frame for evaluation of positioning...unless you can do the math and just plug it in.

BTW - This does not make any sense to me?

I have been using scale to adjust larger than 4K image sequences so they fit 1080 and 4K output.

Edit natively and output (export) to whatever ....is a best approach. eg  Export 1080 and 4K from a native sequence.

• 3. Re: How to Zoom and Pan in the program window.
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

shooternz wrote:

BTW - This does not make any sense to me?

I have been using scale to adjust larger than 4K image sequences so they fit 1080 and 4K output.

Edit natively and output (export) to whatever ....is a best approach. eg  Export 1080 and 4K from a native sequence.

That is what I said also in another thread.

• 4. Re: How to Zoom and Pan in the program window.
                kingkong888 Level 1

Perhaps this will help it make sense to you.

I am taking tme lapse sequences shot on a DSLR and putting them onto Blu Ray disks for viewing. I also outputted a 4K file to try to play at Best Buy on a 4K television. The images are  4928 X 3280 pixels, which is larger than 4K, and much larger than 1080. One of the advantages of using these large images directly and not reducing them in Photoshop first is that I can have a time lapse zoom, which is very difficult to achieve otherwise. I can also pan and tilt. Another advantage is not having to reduce thousands of images three times, once for 1080, once for 4K, and once for stills..

I usually work with 1080 video, and animated 1080 still sequences from Maya, or standard definition video. This is the my first opportunity to work with higher resolutions.

Generally, for my first evaluation of these DSLR stills, i wanted to show some of them fully without cutting any off. This means there is a black border onthe sides because the DSLR stills are 2:3 instead of 9:16. For this I have used a scale of 32.6% for 1080, and 66% for 4K. For some sequences i wanted to just completely fill the frame. For this I used 38.9% for 1080, and 77.9% for 4K.

My assumption is that Premier should do scaling as well as Photoshop does, and so  I have let Premier do the work, saving me a lot of extra work. First i take all the original images and process them from raw to tiff, for the day exposures. Then i process them again for the night exposures. Then i bring them into either my 1080 project, or my 4K project. I put the night pictures above the day pictures on a separate video track. I use opacity to dissolve from the day to night processed images as night falls inthe scene.

Two sequences I shot are of the night sky during the recent meteor shower. After watchign the video I see i caught three instances of persistent meteor trails distorting in the sky. I was able to zoom in quite a bit, and track the position, because the sequence is of greater resolution than the native 1080 format. It gives me a second change at composition, or the ability to zoom in on something interesting that happens in the scene.

It seems to me that the only reason i would want to first process the images down to 1080 in Photoshp, would be if the quality of the scaling was higher in Photoshop.

When i adjust the scale, I am adjusting the scale of an image that is 4928 X 3280, in the program monitor which is probably only well less than 1000 pixels on my screen. It would be nice if I could not only zoom, but pan in the program window, so I could more accurately adjust scale by looking at the edges. So if there is no other way to do this visually, I am suggesting adding the ability to pan and tilt in the program monitor to accomplish this. Sure I could figure out the scale mathematically. I could still end up adding a row of black pixels, or cutting off a row of image pixels, due to some error such as rounding errors, or starting with 1 instead of zero, or vice versa.

• 5. Re: How to Zoom and Pan in the program window.
                  shooternz Level 6

I dont have full understanding of your workflow despite your explanation...but I have enough to suggest that After Effects may be better than PPRO and Photo Shop for your purposes if scaling and transforming is so important.

AEFX has a very nice Scaling "effect" which maintains detail through a decent algorithm.

• 6. Re: How to Zoom and Pan in the program window.
                    kingkong888 Level 1

How would that workflow go ? I have never used After Effects although I have had it for some time.

My workflow in this case is simple. I make a folder with the .nef images (Raw images). there could be up to 5000. I use Adobe Bridge to bring them into Camera Raw. I make adjustments to a typical daytime image, then synchronize and check other images to be sure I have the adjustments as good as possible for the whole group of images. Then i save all the images to a subfolder (Processed Day), as .tiff's. I then go back and adjust the processing for the night images. Many of my time lapse sequences go from day to night. I save the night processed images to their folder. Then I go into Premier and import the still sequences as media and put them onto the timeline. I had wanted to use curves to change the raw processing parameters from day to night but couldn't do it with Camera Raw. So I tried processing the images twice and dissolving between the day and night processed images. It is adequate and the final video is awesome.

I don't usually use DSLR stills. It is new to me, everything from processing raw images to using large still sequences to make video. I usually work with 1080 or standard definition. I am pushing my limits.