18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 12:47 AM by kingkong888

How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?

kingkong888 Level 1

There are of course times when I need to see every frame of a clip to synchronize two clips. Imagine for example that you have a two camera shoot and both cameras were looking at a clapstick, or at a strobe. I want to put both clips on the timeline and zoom in to see every frame. Now I can align the two clips fo that one specific frame of each clip is over/under each other. However, when I have zoomed into the timeline it seems I can never zoom quite enough to see every frame What do I do to be able to zoome all the way in to the timeline so I can see every frame of the clips ? I haven't actually tried this yet with CC, but did with CS6 and it wouldn't do it.

• 1. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
          shooternz Level 6

Find the "synch" Frame in the Source Monitor and place a Marker on it for each Clip.

These will be easy to align in the Timeline

• 2. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
            kingkong888 Level 1

If I move the clip the marker moves with the clip ?

• 3. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would put the clips on tracks 1 to 3 in a sequence, drag the front in point of each clip to find the flash sync point, then move the clips so they align. You can then drag the in points out again.

• 4. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

kingkong888 wrote:

Yes, clip markers move with the clips

• 5. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                  shooternz Level 6

Is that a question or a "puzzlement" ?

You want h Marker to move with the Clip so you get the INDICATION when they line up.

BTW  did you try it?

• 6. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                    kingkong888 Level 1

No, I didn't try it yet. I have often needed to do it and I will often need to do it in the future. i didn't realize that markers can move with the clip since Chapter Markers, which I use a lot, don't move when clips move. So if I add something to the timeline, or if I take something away, I have to manually move all the chapter markers. IF the other type of markers stay with the clip that is nearly perfect. I can make due with that solution. However, I would like to request that it be possible to zoom all the way into the timeline and see every frame. Is this a place to request a feature ?

• 7. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                      shooternz Level 6

Try it  before knocking it.

Use the Program Monitor if you want to see every frame ( one by one).

• 8. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                        kingkong888 Level 1

I'm not knocking the idea of using the program monitor to place markers on sync points and using that to synchronize clips. It should be a very good solution.

What I am saying is that there are times when it would be advantageous to be able to see every frame of multiple clips on the timeline. When i first tried to do that I zoomed in and it looked as if it would display all the frames. I was dissappointed to find it wouldn't. As an editor who has done a lot of resynchronizing multiple camera shoots where there is no intentional visual sync cue, i can tell you it can be a big help to be able to see the frames as if we had a strip of film on each timeline. Sometimes we need to see several frames of each clip at the same time to make a decision about which frame represents the sync point, or to make the quickest possible decision about where to start and end a dissolve, or to chose which camera to use. In a scene shot with only one camera, there is no actual sync point. The action may have progressed slightly differently between shots. Being able to see 10 or 15 frames from each shot can help to make the quickest decision about how to line up the shots and where to do the transition. Would anyone out there say it would be a bad thing if Premier Pro could display every frame when we zoom all the way in ? It seems to me that it could only help. So i request Adobe consider it as a possible future improvement.

Here is an example, the last time i tried to see every frame in Premier. I had a scene I used Maya to create, series of Tiffs. This scene shows an object appearing as if arriving through a time or dimensional portal. The scene includes plasma popping and flashing. There are two different shots of the same moment in time. The shots are frame numbered. So if I could see the frame numbers from the original tiffs on the timeline I could align the shots that way. But of course I lose the frame numbers. The overall scene is too long, and rendering time too long, especially for 3-D 1080, to render each shot from the beginning of the scene, which would make synchronizing very easy. So i needed to sync to the flashing plasma in the scene. I though I had the shots lined up using a flash. It turned out they were not the same flash. So if i did a slow dissolve between shots, the flashes form each shot would not line up in time. What I needed to do is line up several flashes happening over a couple of seconds, so I coud verify the flashes were the same flashes. There are different numbers of frames between each flash, so if I got three to line up they would have to be the same flashes. I spent a lot of time trying to get these shots lined up. If I could zoom into the time line and see evry frame I could synchronize several clips by lining up the flashes, in just a couple of minutes. To do this with markers, marking say five flashes from each of four shots, it would take several minutes to do it before being ready to do the synchronizing. It's a workable solution, but is not ideal, a compromise.

• 9. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                          jaa_edit

In animation, when we're adding a new version to a timeline, we vary the opacity of the new clip on the higher layer so that we can see both old and new at once. You can then tap though with the arrow key or play to see if they're in sync.

You can also resize images and put them in different corners of your Program Monitor if you want a clear view of what's going on.

Or make an adjustment layer at the top, apply the 'Timecode' video effect for however many simultaneous clips you're using, and point each instance of that to a different layer of the timeline so that you've effectively got a BITC for each layer.

• 10. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                            jaa_edit Level 1

Of course, you can always get a thumbnail every 3 frames by using the 'continuous thumbnails' view in your sequence.

(It's a drop-down next to the sequence name above the timecode/ spanner bit... on the opposite side of the tab to the x you use to close that sequence tab. I don't know the official Adobe names for most things, sorry)

• 11. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                              shooternz Level 6

I have no reason t think its not a bad idea to see every frame of a clip in the timeline and I am certain various editors will find a way to use that.

I am also not convinced it cant be done already ( because I never use it and I only work with head and tail frames displayed anyway)

If you have the timeline "zoomed up to a certain point...can you stil not get to single frames?  ( I dont know - never tried and I am awau from my NLE at the moment)

Opacity "onion skinning"  is a nice technique" that I also use in sight matching.

I also gang the monitors together.

• 12. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                                kingkong888 Level 1

I tried the above solution today. I must have done something wrong because it didn't work. Basically, I needed to keep track of a single hard to find frame in a clip. I double clicked the clip on the timeline to make it appear in the program monitor. I found the frame and, after adding a button to place a marker from the program monitor, I added a marker. I then moved the clip on the timeline and the marker did not move with the clip. It stayed with the timeline and the frame was lost.  What did I do wrong ?

Lets review...We have the hyphthetical situation of two clips that need to be aligned in time to the same (sync) frame. They are both on the timeline, overlapping on two different video tracks. I would like to see every frame of the clip to see the sync frames. Then I could move one clip a frame at a time until the sync frames are lined up. The solution I was given is to put these clips into the program monitor and add a marker there to the sync frame. Then I could move one of the clips a frame at a time until the markers are lined up.

If the marker doesn't move with the clip when it is moved on the timeline, the sync frame is lost when the clip is moved. The other thing I noted is that since these clips are associated with the timeline and not the clip, it would be difficult to know which marker is associated with which clip.

Actually, if the markers can be attached to a clip instead of to the timeline, it would be very helpful because sometimes it might not be possible to see a tiny sync mark on the timeline while the markers would be easy to see.

• 13. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                                  KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

To add a clip marker in the timeline first select the clip, and then hit "M"

This places a clip marker at the cursor. The video track has to be expanded to see the clip marker.

• 14. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                                    kingkong888 Level 1

You were right. That worked. I didn't know about these markers. Thank you.

I do have one last question. If I align two clips using these clip markers, is it frame accurate ?

• 15. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                                      shooternz Level 6

A given fact is the Sequence ( Timeline) displays frame for frame  accurately in the Program Monitor.

It would be impossible to use and a most useless NLE  if it did not.

Professional editing is largely done in the Source and Program Monitors and not in the Sequence (Timeline) eg. Razor cuts.

Trust what you see in the Monitors.

• 16. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                                        kingkong888 Level 1

I know that placing the marker in the program or source monitor will be frame accurate. I tested for and saw that today while using it. What i am asking now is, when I have two clips on the timeline, on two different tracks, each with a single frame marked, and I slide one clip on the timeline so that both markers are lined up, will this be a frame accurate operation causing the two marked frames to accuratately line up ? I would guess that they would line up if using snap. But since the display on the timeline may not really be frame accurate, it brings up the question, until i have time to test for it myself.

• 17. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          it brings up the question, until i have time to test for it myself.

So why are you asking and not testing.  FFS

Meantime I will save you the time and trouble of doing a simple test.

Its accurate. 

I repeat...the Program Monitor represents the Sequence / Timeline and you already confirmed that accuracy..

Turn on  Snap and you will get an Indicator line up confirmation in the Sequence.

• 18. Re: How do I see every frame of a clip on the timeline in Premier ?
                                            kingkong888 Level 1

Okay, great. This is a great workaround for the inability of the timeline to show every frame. It will be very useful to me in many ways. Thank you everyone for your help.

I must say though, that seeing only one of every three frames seems to fall just a bit short of perfection.