8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 4:17 AM by adamruddick10

Keylight in CC

lornaimw Level 1

This may be due to my lack of true knowledge in keying, as I've seen how powerful and perfect the results from keylight can be... But no matter what I do 90 percent of the time, the key is slightly muddy/ noisy with bad edges if they aren't already crisp (so keying things like hair)

Is there a secondary or tertiary amount of work I should be doing here as standard? I'm working with mts files from a Panasonic af101. Looking at the clip it looks detailed enough and keylight creates mess in the hair, with no going back! The only way I get round this is with pre blur, softness and despot. But I always find my subjects have a fuzzed edge generally...Here are some examples. Thanks for any advice in advance. ( Bear in mind I am just demonstrating what key light looks like with no tweaking! I can always remove the background, its the problems I have with edges and hair)

2015-01-07_Kickstarter-StepJockey Linked Comp 08_00000.png12015-01-07_Kickstarter-StepJockey Linked Comp 08_00000.png

• 1. Re: Keylight in CC
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That's what the Key Cleaner effect is for:

what’s new and changed in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0)

• 2. Re: Keylight in CC
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The quality of the key depends on the quality of the original video, the compression, the color space and, in the long run, how good you are at using the controls in Keylight. I've pulled very clean keys off very bad original footage, it just takes time and if the footage is giving you problems you have to play with all the knobs, if you know what I mean. Just sampling a color and adjusting a couple of sliders won't do it on most DSLR or AVCHD consumer camera footage.

• 3. Re: Keylight in CC
              shooternz Level 6

Absolutely no reason why a good key cant be pulled from that clip.

Take heed of what Rick said in his post #2.

Here are some AEFX and Premiere Pro  keys pulled from AF102 source footage.

IF lady.png

RAL snow redhat.png

JnJREach_7112.png

AllergyCntre_455.png

• 4. Re: Keylight in CC
                lornaimw Level 1

Hi Todd, appreciate the reply. I haven't been able to update to the 2014 version of CC yet but this sounds like a fantastic feature.

@RickGerard  Thanks for your input, I definitely agree and have seen those points mentioned before. Often in key light I use pretty much every tool they have but I do try to lay off any extra spill suppression.

shooternz Those look great and its great to know they're from similar footage. I too have been able to get great keys (less success normally with something like the hair in the first image), but with those good keys that have no spill, or the don't eat into the clip at all, I will still find artifacts all over the subject when the video is actually played through... And often those artifacts are more apparent at the edges

My question was more should it be as challenging as I often find it, to get a good clean key? Is it my inexperience with keylight/ keying? Sometimes I will have worked on a key for about 30 minutes and I seem to still have something I'm really not happy with. I will end up starting again and re doing it a few times before it becomes something good, and I still may not be that happy with it.

Thanks for the help all

• 5. Re: Keylight in CC
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

My tutorial is Ultra Key and not Keylight, but the point I want to make becomes evident in it.

Keying can take a certain amount of tweaking. Parameters are available to help you with getting exactly where you want to be, but it can take some practice to get there. The technology is not perfect yet and tweaking is just a way of life if you want a good key unless you have some amazing footage.

• 6. Re: Keylight in CC
                    shooternz Level 6

Starting with a well shot key is "key" of course.

Then its parameters tweaking until it works.

30 minutes work on a key and coming back to re do it...yeah...occassionaly  ( Usually because I missed somethingor decided it could be better).

Heres a tip or two  if you dont already know.

1 You can apply more than one Keyer  to the same shot.

2. You can duplicate your video layer ( one above the other) and have a key on each

3 With duplicate layers you can have a mask or  garbage matte on one and a key on the upper most.

2 and 3 are good ways to get a solid fill in the dodgy areas of the key matte and 3 is a good way if you have a color thats close to the key color.

• 7. Re: Keylight in CC
                      lornaimw Level 1

I was aware of those tips but had never found the way I tried to deal with them particularly succesful. I think I will give this a go, thanks for those!

Thanks all for the replies and help.

• 8. Re: Keylight in CC
                        adamruddick10

Try setting Keylight to Intermediate Result, if the grey edges go (and most likely look green or blue depending on the screen) then it is Keylights color correcting for spill that is contributing to the grey edges.  You might want to consider adjusting those options, and reading more in the manual about this, many possibilities in this plugin.  For ease of use however I leave it set to Intermediate Result and use it as an alpha (track matte), the Video layer below this would be the same clip without keylight and you would colour correct it to remove the spill.

Hope this is helpful

-Chris