8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 11:42 AM by Pepper and Salt

Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.

Pepper and Salt

Last time I tried to open LR (version 4.4 with Windows 7), I got message that it could not find a particular folder.  When it did open, almost all of my folders of photos taken during 2014 were missing.  The folders simply did not appear.  Help!

• 1. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you move those folders with your operating system browser? Or, is it possible that you have opened a new catalog? Do you have a recent backup you can revert to?

• 2. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
            Pepper and Salt Level 1

?Thanks for quick response.  I don't think I did the former.  When LR told me it couldn't find folder, the options presented were to open new catalog or default catalog.  I believe I selected default and that was how I got LR to open.  At that point, I noticed the missing folders.  My folders for other years, collections, etc. were there and intact.

• 3. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
              Pepper and Salt Level 1

Thanks for quick response.  I don't think I did the former.  When LR told me it couldn't find folder, the options presented were to open new catalog or default catalog.  I believe I selected default and that was how I got LR to open.  At that point, I noticed the missing folders.  My folders for other years, collections, etc. were there and intact.

• 4. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
                dj_paige Level 9

So you are really getting the error and dialog box before you get into Lightroom, not after the Lightroom interface opens and you should see your folders and some of your photos in the Grid.

You have opened the wrong catalog. Use File->Open Recent and open each catalog in there until you find the one with your folders and photos. If that doesn't work, then you have to use your operating system's search feature to search all of your hard disk(s) for files whose name ends with .LRCAT and then open each one by double-clicking on it to open it.

• 5. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a couple of things you can try. Using your system browser, open the folder where your catalog is located and see if you can find your original catalog. If you can find it, double-click on it and see if it will open. Another option would be to go to file = >open recent and see if your original catalog is listed. If it isn't, then I suspect that somehow you have opened a different catalog. Do you have backups?

• 6. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
                    Pepper and Salt Level 1

?Thanks.  If I go to open recent, I get only two choices: Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat or Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat.  Choosing 4 gives me what I have with the missing folders.

Dave DeJoy

Professor Emeritus

Workplace Health Group

Department of Health Promotion & Behavior

College of Public Health

University of Georgia

Photography: http://dejoyimages.zenfolio.com

• 7. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
                      dj_paige Level 9

?Thanks.  If I go to open recent, I get only two choices: Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat or Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat.  Choosing 4 gives me what I have with the missing folders.

Did I not give instructions about what to do next if that doesn't work? I'm sure I did...

• 8. Re: Photo Folders in Lightroom Missing.
                        Pepper and Salt Level 1

??Sorry.  I am a simple one step guy.  One thing I just noticed is that when I go to my computer, my external hard drive no longer appears.  It is connected and the light is illuminated (but just a steady blue).  This drive is my backup drive for lightroom.  I know I must be the dumbest guy online.

Dave DeJoy

Professor Emeritus

Workplace Health Group

Department of Health Promotion & Behavior

College of Public Health

University of Georgia

Photography: http://dejoyimages.zenfolio.com