7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 1:30 PM by NetComVendor

autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)

NetComVendor
      Windows 7 and 8.1
      IE, Firefox

We're trying to setup Flash to autoupdate in our IT environment. It currently autoupdates to 15.0.0.246. I'm assuming it should autoupdate to the latest version available, 16.0.0.235 but it's not. Is this intended by Adobe? Otherwise, there are no errors; the autoupdate process is only updating to 15.0.0.246 (previous version we had was 15.0.0.223).

• 1. Re: autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)
          jeromiec83223024 Adobe Employee

Please check out the Flash Player system administration guide.  It's going to depend on how you distributed Flash Player to your network, and what settings you included in the mms.cfg.  If someone pushed out our MSI installers via AD/SCUP/etc and had planned handle future updates themselves, they may have disabled automatic updates via the mms.cfg.

The guide has the appropriate file locations and flags to check for.  Also, if you're using custom mms.cfg options to customize the update behavior on your network, try putting any mms.cfg files under both Windows\System\Macromed\Flash and Windows\SYSWOW64/Macromed/Flash directories (this shouldn't actually be required but you may be running into a bug that we've fixed recently) just to see if that works for you.  It won't hurt anything.

Details on all of the appropriate paths and stuff are in the guide:

Adobe Flash Player Administration Guide for Flash Player | Adobe Developer Connection

If you don't make any headway, please send me a copy of your install log.  Feel free to PM me with it if you don't want it public, and I'll see if I can get some useful feedback for you.

• 2. Re: autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)
            NetComVendor Level 1

We're currently using a process that deploys mms.cfg using these settings to system32 and syswow64:

AutoUpdateDisable=0

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1

AutoUpdateInterval=2

I will further look at the guide. Additionally, is there a way to receive e-mail notifications for when a post is made to our thread or when we get a message in adobe inbox?

• 3. Re: autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)
              jeromiec83223024 Adobe Employee

If you provided your email address to the forums when you signed up, you should get an email notification to the threads you post in (I do).  There'a Following button up on the top right of the page.  You may need to select that if it's not already done, but I'd check your profile settings to make sure the email address is right and check your junk mail.

• 4. Re: autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)
                NetComVendor Level 1

Jeromie,

I looked at the guide and cannot find anything else that would help my situation. The mms.cfg files are in the correct location and the auto update task is present. When running the task manually, it would update for some users but not for others. There must be something on those machines that is preventing the update. 

• 5. Re: autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)
                  NetComVendor Level 1

It looks like the custom tool we developed to push out flash is not consistently pushing out the task/flashupdateservice.exe that is being called - a reinstall seems to resolve the issue. I tried manually copying the flashupdateservice.exe to the right location and installing the service for the machines missing it; the task calls it successfully but errors out in the logs.

Is there a way to manually install this flashupdateservice?

• 6. Re: autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)
                    m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hello,

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe is a payload of the Flash Player installer.  I'm not understanding why you're pushing it out separately from the install process. How are you distributing Flash Player and why push the update service separately?

Also, the AutoUpdateInterval setting is for notification updates, it has nothing to do with background updates, nor the background update service.

--

Maria

• 7. Re: autoupdate working only for Flash 15 (not upgrading to 16)
                      NetComVendor Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I understand and don't believe having the interval setting in the mms.cfg should affect the background update process (tested that). Distributing flash player using a custom tool (developed in .net); essentially deploys the flash plugin msi package (removes any existing) with the appropriate mms.cfg in the right locations. We're not deploying the flash update service separately; however, the issue we're running into is that some of our clients are getting the proper flash background update settings (task/flashupdateservice.exe) while others are not. Haven't been able to figure out why (could be our custom tool but it's rather simple tool). Still troubleshooting.

Any other insight would be appreciated.