4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 12:24 PM by station_two

Photo sizing

rjerls Level 1

I am trying to print some pictures from Photo shop. The size I want is 5 by 7, the size I get is 4 by 7.25.  When I go in to change the sizing Photoshop will not let me choose a 5 by 7, it keeps bouncing around.  Is there a way to fix this?  I can be reached at rjerls3087@att.net

• 1. Re: Photo sizing
          Level 5

That's plain user error.

Obviously your image does NOT have a 5 x 7 aspect ratio.  It's elementary grade-school geometry.

You have to crop the image to a 5 x 7 aspect ratio.

• 2. Re: Photo sizing
            rjerls Level 1

The picture came from a smart phone, if I crop then I lose parts of the picture that we want to keep.  Any other suggestions

• 3. Re: Photo sizing
              davidc1815 Level 4

Depending on the detail in the image, you could try resizing the long side to 7, then use Canvas Size to change the short side to 5. Next, select a rectangular strip of the image next to the blank strip and use Content Aware Scale to extend the image over the blank strip.  It would be a work around and may not work at all if the picture has many linear elements in it.  It would be easier to tell if we could see the image.

• 4. Re: Photo sizing
                Level 5

rjerls wrote:

The picture came from a smart phone, if I crop then I lose parts of the picture that we want to keep.  Any other suggestions

You can print your image on larger photo paper, say letter-size, then crop the finished print with a paper trimmer; or:

You can enlarge the CANVAS, not your image, in Photoshop to a 5x7 aspect ratio and put up with white (unprinted bands) on two of the sides of the image.

As I said, this is elementary grade school arithmetic/geometry.  Just sit down and think about it.  It is by no means a Photoshop issue.  You would have had exactly the same issue in film days; the photo processing lab would have given you back a cropped print, discarding some parts of the image; or, if you gave them specific instructions not to crop, they would have given you a print with two bands along two of the sides.

This is no different.  THINK !

If you try nickna12's suggestion, please don't come back saying something like "the image looks squeezed, or squished".  That solution depends on distorting your image to fit, so of course it will be DISTORTED.