3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2007 10:07 AM by kglad

Finding Movie Clip Name

leewilson86 Level 1
      Hello,

I have 108 movie clips on my stage which make up a grid. The grid was generated dynamically using movieclips a while loop.

Each movie clip has been given its own unique instance name.

Now i want all the movie clips to have the same functions. I did not want to write lines and lines of:

mc1.onRelease = function () {
      actions();
      }
      mc2.onRelease = function () {
      actions();
      }
      mc3.onRelease = function () {
      actions();
      }
      mc4.onRelease = function () {
      actions();
      }
      mc5.onRelease = function () {
      actions();
      }

etc..etc...etc....etc.....etc
      as this would make my code very long, ugly and a little difficult and time consuming to debug.

INSTEAD....

I want to know if there is a way of being able to click on any movie clip and its name will be recalled, without having to know the name of the movie clip, by using a MouseUp action or equivalent and be stored in a variable.

For example.

If i click on one of my movie clips, its name is then stored into a variable called (myButton). That variable will then act as the name of the function:

myButton.onRelease = function() {
      actions();
      }

the myButton variable will then tell the onRelease function which button to use its functions on. This would mean that i could use 3 lines of code instead of 300+ lines of code.

Firstly, does anyone know if this can be done? And if it can it would be greatly appreciated if you could show me how to do this.

If you are wanting to have a look at my script for a guide as to what im doing, please let me know

Thank You
        • 1. Re: Finding Movie Clip Name
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you could but why bother? if every movieclip in your swf is going call actions() why not just call actions() when a movieclip (on the main timeline) is pressed? or are there movieclips in your swf that aren't supposed to call actions()?
          • 2. Re: Finding Movie Clip Name
            leewilson86 Level 1
            basically its a word search application i need to create.

Which is the reason for the grid and each grid has its own letters which are stored in an array and are called into the text boxes which are embedded within each squars movie clip when my script initializes. I need all the movie clips to initially have all the same actions which will eventually be., on roll over change colour, on roll out change colour, on click change colour, if correct change colour if incorrect change colour. they are the actions i will be applying.

However because each one has its own letter i also need each one to have their own unique properites which i will programme seperately.

just knowing whether i can click anywhere on the stage and find out the movie clip name so that it can then be stored into a variable would be really helpful if anyone could show me how to do this if it is possible to do.

thanks

lee
            • 3. Re: Finding Movie Clip Name
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              you can't click anywhere on-stage but you can click on any movieclip and store its instance name in a variable (say mcName). if you DON'T have any onPress methods defined for your movieclip you can use the following. if you have onPress methods already defined and you want both your previously defined onPress handlers and the new onPress handler to work, this can be done too.