4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 11:14 AM by glennpsychdoc

Lightroom folder restoration

glennpsychdoc Level 1

I have all my photos stored in a folder entitled LR photos. I went into my built in hard drive on my iMac and decided to erase all the old LR backups since I thought I didn't need them. I thought that all I needed was the latest LR folder but when I opened up LR all my latest photos and the corresponding sections that I put them in were not up to date. How do I go and restore the latest version of my backups. I did go into the trash and put all of the folders back where they belonged so I know I did't lose the photos but I need to restore the latest version. Also, I had used the latest date on the folders but apparently that did not bring all my latest photos and categories back. Thank you for any help on this issue.

Glenn

• 1. Re: Lightroom folder restoration
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you talk to the latest LR folder, are you referring to the folder of your images or are you referring to the folder that contains your catalog?

• 2. Re: Lightroom folder restoration
            glennpsychdoc Level 1

Hi Jim,

I did look on the internet and fortunately I found that all I had to do was

to go to the Catalogue section and reinstall the backup. I hit the panic

button but all is good now. I was referring to the folder that contained

my catalogue. I was able to restore it and now all is good-phew!

But I am wondering-can I delete the old backups without endangering all the

work I put into categorizing my photos? They do take up a lot of space.

Thanks for getting back to me on my original question.

Glenn

Glenn Bailey, Ph.D., M.A.

Licensed Psychologist

"A merry heart does good like medicine." Proverbs 17:22a

• 3. Re: Lightroom folder restoration
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have Lightroom programmed to backup the catalog once a week. Every two or three months I will go to my backup folder and get rid of all but about the last four backups. Each backup is essentially a copy of the catalog in its own folder. You will have to decide how many backups you want to retain.

• 4. Re: Lightroom folder restoration
                glennpsychdoc Level 1

Thanks Jim. That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure before I took

the other backups out.

Glenn

Glenn Bailey, Ph.D., M.A.

Licensed Psychologist

"A merry heart does good like medicine." Proverbs 17:22a