11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2015 9:38 PM by Geoff the kiwi

How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display

htcCat

I am thinking about replacing my 2010 IMac with a Retina Display IMac.  I have heard mixed reports about the performance of Lightroom on this hardware. Can anyone share their experiences?

• 1. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
          rwanderman

I'm in the same boat and posted a question here three days ago. No one has answered it yet.

I'm guessing Adobe will remedy this at some point as it's a memory limitation of LR. One solution is to buy a new iMac without a 5K retina screen. LR should work fine if it doesn't have to address that many pixels. However, it seems a shame to do this if Adobe is going to release a fix/upgrade soon. It would be nice to hear from them on this but I doubt we will.

I'd like to hear what you do, if anything.

• 2. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
            dj_paige Level 9

If you search this forum, you will see lots of discussion on this issue.

I'm guessing Adobe will remedy this at some point as it's a memory limitation of LR.

It's not memory, it's CPU speed

• 3. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
              rwanderman Level 1

Not sure I understand how it could be CPU speed when it runs fine on iMacs with the same processor with smaller screens.

I am seeing lots of discussion but no comment on exactly what the problem is.

• 4. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                dj_paige Level 9

I am seeing lots of discussion but no comment on exactly what the problem is.

I just commented on exactly what the problem is. Larger screens need the CPU to generate values for lots more pixels, that takes more time than for smaller screens.

• 5. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                  rwanderman Level 1

So, you're saying there's nothing that Adobe can do to LR that will fix this, it's a matter of CPU power relative to screen size?

• 6. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                    dj_paige Level 9

Actually, I did not say anything about the part where "there's nothing that Adobe can do to LR that will fix this". I did not comment on this at all.

It is entirely possible that LR6 will be have much more efficient code that will minimize or eliminate this problem. And it's entirely possible that the opposite will happen, that LR6 will not have code that is so efficient that the problem is gone or minimized. Right now, only Adobe knows.

But no matter what happens in LR6, hardware specs (in this case CPU and possibly GPU in LR6) will still play a role. Code by itself can only get so efficient. Hardware and code must be matched to the task at hand, a slow CPU and the world's most efficient code might not get the desired results.

• 7. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                      Modesto Vega Level 1

@dj_paige is quite right. It is a CPU problem and it has been discussed before in this forum, please see Terrible performance on iMac 5K, which is less than 2 weeks old. Please take some time to think what a 5K display is (5120X288 at full resolution) and its performance implications, in particular with LR. On that thread I wrote this:

Let's do some maths, I have a camera with a 24 megapixel sensor (and a little bit), it generates 6014 by 4016 images, on 2560 by 1440 I would need approximately 2.4 screen widths and almost 2.8 screen heights to see a photograph 1:1 (100% zoom).

Now on a 5K screen (5120X2880) you need just over 1 screen width and 1.4 screen heights to see the photograph 1:1 (100% zoom). If you have a smaller sensor, about 16 megapixels, taking 4272 x 2848 photos, on a 5K you are making edits to your photos at 1:1 resolution (100% zoom) with the whole image visible on the screen; each time you make a global adjustment LR has to recalculate and the render the whole photo, every single pixel, and this could also apply to local adjustments. I do make some adjustments at 1:1 but only on my primary display which has a much smaller working area.

To view photos and videos at full 5K resolution is one thing, probably a great experience, to edit at full 5K resolution is a different matter and likely to require significant computer power (for calculating and rendering).

In a nutshell on a 5K screen Fit = 1:1 or very near.

Reducing the working area to 2560x1440 or even smaller needs to be reproduced, or working 1:4 might help.

• 8. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                        sid birla

LR creative cloud does not work on imac retina 5k at all. have tried every trick the internet forums show including uninstall and reinstall 5 times, this marriage isn't just meant to be until adobe figures out a new way

• 9. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sidharth Birla wrote:

LR creative cloud does not work on imac retina 5k at all. have tried every trick the internet forums show including uninstall and reinstall 5 times, this marriage isn't just meant to be until adobe figures out a new way

You have something wrong happening there as the current Lightroom does work on those iMacs. Certainly there are complaints about performance which it has stated are being addressed and will most likely be in the next version of Lightroom which appears to be imminent.

• 10. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                            sid birla Level 1

Thanks Geoff, have tried all suggestions on the net, including uptodate Java, setting permissions, cleaning cache, logging out through Photoshop & re-logging, adjusting resolution. Photoshop, Bridge etc all seem to be loading well (have not had time to try out actual editing) but LR simply says "error loading module". I can set up the identity plate, set up or change catalog, but cannot get the "preferences" to open. In short LR just doesn't work. I tried to uninstall LR CC and use a standalone LR 5.7.1 but it asks me for the registration number sequence each time it starts up, and then reverts to the "module" problem.

Incidentally no issues with LR 5.7.1 standalone on MacBook Pro Retina, using the same Yosemite version, so obviously problem is in the 5k retina model.

Any help deeply appreciated. Don't want to take short cuts such as reduced windows etc, as work with Hi-Res cameras like D4 and D800 so want everything to work as it should. Thanks

• 11. Re: How well Does Lightroom run on the IMac with 5k Retina Display
                              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The preferences file is found with this Help Doc  

Remove the Preference file....

Again it is some issue with the installation.

It has also ben stated clearly that there are performance issues with that screen which will be resolved in a future Lightroom version.