9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 8:43 AM by cc_merchant

Areca 1883ix

Ryan McCrae

Hi guys,

Ive just built a raid 6 array with 10x3tb drive, It shows up as 24tb on the Areca storage manager, but windows 8.1 says its only 21.8tb.

Any ideas on whats going on?

Also on boot the "Waiting for F/W to become ready" message appears and takes around 40 seconds before going past this and then booting up to windows.

Is this supposed to show up every time?

Cheers Ryan

• 1. Re: Areca 1883ix
          cc_merchant Level 4

Raw capacity: 10 x 3 TB = 30 TB

Raid6 capacity: 8 x 3 TB = 24 TB (2 disks are lost for parity in a raid6)

Areca calculates, as do most HDD manufacturers, 1 TB = 1,000,000,000,000 bytes.

Windows calculates 1,000,000,000,000 bytes as 931 GB (using 1 KB = 1024 B, 1 MB = 1024 KB, etc.).

24,000,000,000,000 B / 1024 = 23,437,500,000 KB / 1024 = 22,888,184 MB / 1024 = 22,352 GB / 1024 = 21.83 TB

"Waiting for F/W to become ready" is normal when turning on the machine. 40 seconds is a normal figure with 10 disks, especially if using staggered spin-up.

• 2. Re: Areca 1883ix
            alexdejesus Level 1

I just installed the same unit, Yes, it does take a minute or so to boot up every time. Are your drives internal? I have a 5-drive 16 TB RAID internal. I was looking for an external unit, and found the SansDigital EliteStor 12G 12-bay unit that connects to the Areca. I plan to put in several of my older drives I have sitting around. Mostly 1 TB SATA HDDs - I think I have eight or nine of them. Eventually, I would like to fill it with Enterprise drives or SSDs if the prices ever come down a bit.

• 3. Re: Areca 1883ix
              Ryan McCrae Level 1

Yes the drives are internal. Its a real pain. I was wondering if there is a way that the drives could be started after boot up, or delayed.

• 4. Re: Areca 1883ix
                alexdejesus Level 1

Good question.  It must take a lot to power up the internal drives so it has to happen during bootup. But having a Raid controller is new to me, so I couldn't tell you. I think an external enclosure can be turned off and on at will because it's self-powered. Hope you find the answer.

ARe you happy with the Raid controller otherwise? My Write speeds are phenomenal, but Read speeds are much slower-about half. I need some time to troubleshoot.

• 5. Re: Areca 1883ix
                  cc_merchant Level 4

The wait for F/W to become ready is unavoidable, because - even prior to loading the OS - the controller needs to be initialized. Luckily it only happens when you turn on the machine and it is something you get used to. Staggered spin-up can be set here:

Phenomenal write speeds are influenced by the on-board cache. With 4 or 8 GB cache this is very significant.

• 6. Re: Areca 1883ix
                    alexdejesus Level 1

WHere is that control panel in Windows? I have no such thing or any way to control the Areca card. The installation guide that came with the unit has to be one of worst I've seen. And there's a CD full of software that has nothing to do with the controller.

• 7. Re: Areca 1883ix
                      cc_merchant Level 4

The easiest way is to install the MRaid software. and run the ArcHttpSrvGUI application.

Manually, you can go to the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel, click on the primary ethernet connection, then click on Details and note the primary IPv4 address.

Now in your internet browser, enter your IP address, followed by (no spaces): ':1' or ':82' in the address field. Something like this: 'aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:82'.

The port number shown, 82 depends on your network settings.

What is the pain with internal disks? I have 28 internal disks on the Areca plus 4 other internals and don't see the 'pain'.

• 8. Re: Areca 1883ix
                        alexdejesus Level 1

my tower case has room for 6 HDDs and an equal number of 2.5" SSDs. I don't have a problem waiting for the reboot, but I can get a little impatient. I can't imagine 28 internal drives!

I Know so little about these RAID controllers that I had no idea what the ethernet cable was for.  Does the Areca card also act as a sort of NAS?

NOw answer this please. What is a good external storage solution for say 12 drives to connect to the Areca? I just ordered the SansDigital 12G rack mounted 12-bay unit and waiting for it to ship. And, now I'm seeing others available.  It makes sense to go with a 12 Gb setup, correct? They are fairly expensive - without the drives. I plan to throw my older SATA 6G HDDs in there as JBOD for now, which I understand will give great performance. And keep my existing 5-drive RAID internal. I may have been hasty in choosing, though, and did not research enough.

• 9. Re: Areca 1883ix
                          cc_merchant Level 4

Let me try to explain what you can do with the Areca controller.

You only need the ethernet connection if you want to enable remote diagnosis and control. I never needed that, so I do not use the ethernet connection on the controller.

What I meant in my previous post about the ethernet connection is the standard ethernet cable on the back of the motherboard that is connected to your router / modem for internet connections. You may need to figure out your internal IPv4 address to access the http based page for setting up and managing the Areca controller. That is where the Network and Sharing Center comes into the picture. Internet pages like 'whatismyipaddress.com' will only give you the external IP address, not the internal one. Common internal IPv4 addresses often look like 192.168.253.xx or 192.168.254.xx

The 1883-iX has a number of SFF-8643 connectors, that are used for internal disks over internal SFF-8643 fan-out to mini-SAS cables. Each connector can drive 4 disks. Up to 6 on the 24 port model. In addition it has 1 SFF-8644 connector, used for external disks. You need a SFF-8644 fan-out to mini-SAS cable to connect up to 4 external drives. If you need to attach more external disks, the external enclosure needs to have SAS-expanders to increase the number of disks, but it is better - for load balancing, reliability and performance - to use two of these cables. Unfortunately, the 1883-iX has only one SFF-8644 connector, not two.

Here is a very good and knowledgeable shop with great service and response: 12Gb/s SAS Storage Products - PC PitStop

BTW: Waiting for F/W to become ready with staggered spin-up (0.4s) takes around 47-48 seconds on my system with those 28 disks.