5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 11:40 AM by Joel Cherney

Will InDesign CS5 run on the latest Mac OS (Yosemite)?

AlyMcF1 Level 1

I'm planning to upgrade to a new Mac Mini soon, and am hoping InDeisgn CS5 will still run on it. Anyone know if it will?

• 1. Re: Will InDesign CS5 run on the latest Mac OS (Yosemite)?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not supported. Maybe you’ll be lucky, maybe you won’t but you will be on

your own.

Under no circumstance should you attempt to use migration assistant.

• 2. Re: Will InDesign CS5 run on the latest Mac OS (Yosemite)?
            OlgaR

Hi,

I just got a new mac mini and all my Adobe products In-Design CS5, Acrobat X Pro and photoshop elements 11 won't work on Yosemite. I tried the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner tool and re-installed my applications without success. The problem is that I don't use them very often but I really need them and I don't want to pay a monthly fee. What do you suggest?

My husband has the same Acrobat X Pro on his new i-Mac book pro and it works fine.

• 3. Re: Will InDesign CS5 run on the latest Mac OS (Yosemite)?
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest running a virtual machine with an OS that you know works well with your applications. I'm about to move to Yosemite on a new MBP myself - but before I will do so I will take an image of my current MBP, still running Lion, and run that image on the new machine, in a host like VMware Player or VirtualBox or whatever.

Doing this is usually preferable to what we once did to keep old software alive - we kept old hardware alive, too. You could just go out and buy an old Mac Mini from eBay and run an old OS on it, and only use it when you need to use CS5.

It might be possible to get it your CS5-era tools to work on Yosemite, but there's no way to guarantee it. We don't know the differences between your machine and your husband's machine, and even if we did, your husband's install of Acrobat might work fine for a year, and then fall over for no reason and never work again.

• 4. Re: Will InDesign CS5 run on the latest Mac OS (Yosemite)?
                AlyMcF1 Level 1

I will still have my old MacBook and other machine on which I can still use InDesign CS5. Was hoping it would run on my new machine too though. Sounds like it probably won't, from what I'm hearing here.

Regarding the virtual machine idea, what is the most user friendly one out there for Macs? Meaning, software that is not a binary, an SDK, or source code, like I'm seeing here on the Virtual Box site (Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox))?

• 5. Re: Will InDesign CS5 run on the latest Mac OS (Yosemite)?
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you're getting tripped up by unfamiliar terminology - a "binary" is what you want, if you want "a program that I can just drop into my Applications folder."

This Lifehacker article is a decent intro-to-VMs-for-beginners.