8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 8:01 AM by Anytime Publishing

Cannot sync settings on new computer

Anytime Publishing Level 1

I have just bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and loaded all of my CC2014 apps (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop).  However, I cannot get any of my settings to sync (InDesign is the most crucial).  I'm logged into my CC account, synched everything on my old laptop, but they are not transferring.  Am I missing a trick?

• 1. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer
          Doc Maik Level 4

The new laptop, is is already authorised for the Adobe account?

What does or does not happen when you try to sync?

• 2. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In InDesign CC 2014, only the following settings are synched with Preferences > Sync Settings: (1) PDF Presets, (2) Workspaces, (3) Customized Menus, (4) Glyphs and (5) Keyboard Shortcuts.

For this to work, you would have to sync these settings from your old computer to the Creative Cloud. Then, sync the settings from CC to your new computer.

• 3. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer

Do I need to do something specific to authorise the laptop?  I'm signed into my Adobe CC account when I open the software, but when I click sync it just sits for a little while, says it's synced (with current time and date) but nothing has changed.

• 4. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer

Steve, I've synced on my old laptop (done it again this morning), then synced on my new one, but nothing actually changes.  It's the PDF presets and workspaces I want more than anything else. 

Is there an option somewhere that I'm missing?  It seems perhaps when I'm syncing on my old laptop, nothing is actually going in the Creative Cloud.

• 5. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer

You should see a progress bar and messages while the syncing is going on. For example, I've clicked the Sync Settings icon at the bottom left of the page. When I click Sync Settings, a progress bar appears.

SyncSettings.png

If you see no progress bar, try restoring your preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

• 6. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer

I see a progress indicator (in %) that goes from 0% to done with a few seconds between, then the date/time is updated (this happens on both laptops), but still nothing has changed on my new laptop (i.e. I only have the default workspaces and PDF presets).

I've just restored my Preferences (thanks for the link) on my new laptop but still the same problem. I've just gone to "manage my account" on my old laptop, removed my settings from Creative Cloud for ID, synced again on my old laptop but now I can only see Illustrator and Photoshop if I go to "manage my account", so it seems that for some reason nothing is actually being stored in the Cloud for ID?

Are the PDF presets and workspaces stored somewhere so I can just copy them from my old laptop to my new one?  Not exactly what I'm paying £50 a month CC subscription for, but at least I can get on with some work if I can get the presets restored!

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

• 7. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer

We're running out of things I can think of to check.

I do see an ID Settings folder when I view my CC Files in my browser. It shows empty but it just means it doesn't contain a file that I can copy to another location. It's in a format that doesn't support that. It has to be done through the syncing process (when it works!).

The Help file lists these cases where it will not work:

What’s not supported

Keyboard shortcuts created for Windows will only sync with a Windows computer. Mac keyboard shortcuts will only sync with a Mac computer.

Assets saved to a custom location are not synced.

Any modifications (for example: rearrangement of panel) made after creation of the Workspace will not be synced. For Workspace syncing, first set up your working environment and then create a workspace and initiate the sync process.

Beyond that, I've run out of things to try. Sorry.

• 8. Re: Cannot sync settings on new computer

Your help so far is much appreciated Steve!  I might see if I can contact Adobe directly see if they can shed any light . . . I vaguely remember seeing something somewhere about where presets are kept, but that may have been before the "improvements" of CC.

I'll let you know if I do come across anything, just in case anyone else is following this thread and having the same issue.

Thanks again.

Sarah