11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 9:34 AM by Modesto Vega

LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki

Tahosa640 Level 1

Looking for opinions on the X-rite product colormunki or spyder etc. to calibrate my monitors with the Epson 3880.  My preview screen for printing in LR 5.7.1 looks VERY grainy (at times) and often the printer does not produce accurate color renditions of the monitor screen.  Do folks have an opinion on this or a path they followed to produce the best prints having post processed in both Lightroom and Photoshop?

• 1. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
          Modesto Vega Level 1

I do use an i1 Display Pro from x-rite to calibrate my displays and I am quite happy with it, I eventually managed to get my prints very close to what I see on my screen but it was (and still is) a learning process. Printer calibration is a different matter, I would start by getting profiles for the paper you use from the paper manufacturer and/or the printer manufacturer. Once you got the paper profiles you should be able to soft proof your prints before actually printing them.

Tahosa640 wrote:

My preview screen for printing in LR 5.7.1 looks VERY grainy (at times) and often the printer does not produce accurate color renditions of the monitor screen.  Do folks have an opinion on this or a path they followed to produce the best prints having post processed in both Lightroom and Photoshop?

What do you mean with they look grainy? Do they look significantly different from the Develop module? A low resolution screenshot could help (but you need to log into forums.adobe.com for that).

• 2. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
            Tahosa640 Level 1

Thank you for getting back to me.  I am using the color profiles for the type of Epson paper I am using; however, just started soft proofing in PS based on a video tutorial and will continue to see how this works.  In reviewing the i1 Display pro as well as the colormunki, I became confused as to the difference.  What I assumed is that the display pro will calibrate the monitor, but the colormunki is needed to also calibrate the printer.  I am guessing the colormunki creates a custom color profile that 'links' the two devices (montor and printer) and you use the created custom color profile rather than one created by Epsom for example for a particular paper of theirs for a particular Epsom printer.  Am I getting this correct?

• 3. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
              Tahosa640 Level 1

The LR develop module, as well as the print module produce correct renditions of the post processed images of the picture,  However, when I choose 'Print" in LR and the Epson (not M .. :>)) preview screen appears with the picture preview, it is very grainy and the color very saturated.  It will print that way unless I choose in LR to let the printer manage the color.  If I let LR 'manage' the color for printing, I do not get what appears on the monitor but get an Epson picture print that is grainy and saturated.  I am using the correct Epson color profile for the Epson paper I am using.

Thank you very much for your input and advice.

• 4. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                Modesto Vega Level 1

Both can calibrate displays; both create a profile for the display. To calibrate a printer you need something like the i1BasicPro, i1PhotoPro or i1PublishPro.

• 5. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know anything about the colormunki. I use a Canon printer that produces excellent results. I don't understand why you would get "grainy" prints unless you have chosen the draft mode printing option in Lightroom. Are you making sure that color management is either turned off in the printer or in Lightroom? Often times problems seem to occur because the print job itself is getting double color managed.

• 6. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                    Tahosa640 Level 1

Not in draft mode.  If you choose draft mode, 'Color Management' in the print job pull down menu of the LR  print module is not accessible.  The issue resides (I think) in the color profiles and the choices that are made, and then ensuring the color management of the printer is turned off or as you put it, does not "double manage" the file.  I just choose the "other" box under color profiles in the color management menu (LR print module) and it added color provides for my monitors.  I missed that before, and perhaps that is why the screen post processed image did not reproduce of Epson 3880 properly.  I will run some test with the differrent color profiles.  I guess I am confused as to what color profile does and what you should choose to align the post processed monitor image with the product from a printer. 

Thank you for responding.

• 7. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Monitor profiles are used to ensure that your monitor is displaying proper colors and brightness, as well as a few other things. Monitor profiles that are not related to printing other than to ensure that what you are seeing on your monitor is correct. The profiles that you use for printing are paper profiles. When your monitor is properly calibrated then your printer should print correctly as long as you provide the profile for the paper you are using. On my Canon printer, if I allow Lightroom to manage the printing, then I still have to go to the Page Setup button to activate my printer driver where I can choose the appropriate paper type. For instance, I use several different Red River papers, and have downloaded the paper profiles from their website. Red River provides instructions that tell me what paper type I should choose in the Canon printer driver. After I have that set correctly then I can choose the paper profile (in Lightroom) that precisely matches the paper that I'm using. This works well for me. So even if I choose to allow Lightroom to manage the colors, I still have to make some adjustments in the printer driver through the Page Setup button.

I apologize if I am being too basic. But I wanted to make sure we are covering all bases.

• 8. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                        Modesto Vega Level 1

Tahosa640 wrote:

Not in draft mode.  If you choose draft mode, 'Color Management' in the print job pull down menu of the LR  print module is not accessible.  The issue resides (I think) in the color profiles and the choices that are made, and then ensuring the color management of the printer is turned off or as you put it, does not "double manage" the file.  I just choose the "other" box under color profiles in the color management menu (LR print module) and it added color provides for my monitors.  I missed that before, and perhaps that is why the screen post processed image did not reproduce of Epson 3880 properly.  I will run some test with the differrent color profiles.  I guess I am confused as to what color profile does and what you should choose to align the post processed monitor image with the product from a printer.

Thank you for responding.

This is a screenshot of my the Colour Management panel of my print module. The underlined profile is a paper/printer profile supplied by a 3rd party. S27B70_20141208.icc is an old profile for my secondary display made with iDisplay Pro. I know this sounds really simple, you probably know about it, but you need to select the paper/print profile. My apologies if this is too simple, I don't want to sound patronising.

PrintModuleCM.jpg

• 9. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                          Tahosa640 Level 1

Excellent.  Thank you.  I did not realize that you were working with two sets of profiles, one for the monitor to ensure correct color/brightness etc that best duplicates what you will receive from the printer, and a second color profile that adjusts the printers interpretation of the print colors for the type of medium (paper, e.g., gloss, hot press, etc) that you are using to produce the product.  This now makes sense to me.  Therefore, if I am using the correct color management profile in the color management section of the LR print module, e.g. let's say an Epson Hot press paper, if my printed product does not render the colors in the same manner as I viewed them on the monitor, my next step would be to calibrate my monitors using a X-rite device or Spyder etc. 

Going back to the X-rite Colormunki verses for example a spyder of x-rite i1Display Pro, I assume that the colormunki is able to create a profile for both a monitor as well as the paper you are using. The Colormunki is twice the price of the i1Display Pro.  (I guess it scans the paper).   Unless you are using a non-standard paper from a manufacturer that HAS NOT created a profile which you can download, you do not need a Colormunki and the i1Display Pro (or Spyder) to calibrate the monitor is all that is necessary.

Finally, your point about ensuring you do not "double" manage the color profile in the software (LR or PS) and the printer driver software is very helpful.  The Epson 3880 printer driver allows you to turn off the color management by the printer but you also can set an input profile, printer profile, and a host of other settings etc depending on your production objective.  You were correct in that, in some cases,I was double managing the color, hence, my product was much more accurate when I choose one or the other.

Thanks again for being so clear and taking the time to respond in detail.  Much appreciated.

• 10. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                            Tahosa640 Level 1

Thank you!  No ... as I noted in a response above, I did not understand that you were working with two profiles with two purposes.  This now makes sense.  I made a quick comment above that I assume that all I need to purchase is a device to calibrate my monitors. As long as I am using media for which I can access and apply a profile provided by the manufacturer, I do not need to spend the additional money for the Colormunki to calibrate the printer. 

• 11. Re: LR /Epson 3880 Color Profile / Monitor Calibration / Printer Calibration etc - X-Rite  Color Munki
                              Modesto Vega Level 1

Tahosa640 wrote:

Going back to the X-rite Colormunki verses for example a spyder of x-rite i1Display Pro, I assume that the colormunki is able to create a profile for both a monitor as well as the paper you are using. The Colormunki is twice the price of the i1Display Pro.  (I guess it scans the paper).   Unless you are using a non-standard paper from a manufacturer that HAS NOT created a profile which you can download, you do not need a Colormunki and the i1Display Pro (or Spyder) to calibrate the monitor is all that is necessary.

Both can create profiles. If by Colormunki you are referring to X-Rite ColorMunki Display for Projector and Color Calibration and by i1Display Pro you are referring to X-Rite i1Display Pro; Monitor Calibration & Profiled Display, i1Display Pro should be more expensive than the Colourmunki (about £40 to £50 in the UK, brand new). As far as I know, you need, minimum, X-Rite i1Basic Pro 2 for Custom Monitor & Projector Profiles to calibrate printers and paper. They both use the same software which is capable of calibrating printers.