3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 7:51 AM by SJRiegel

so that I don't bungle things (re tweaking my Master Pages)...

malch Level 1

Hi there,

My book is a trial-and-error, work-in-progress as I try to learn InDesign by asking advice here, reading a textbook and seeking out youtube tutorials... I'm better at it than I was a week ago, but am still running up against complications.  I don't mind fussing and tweaking, and doing things the hard way until I learn, but I'm about to start a new section and want to change my actual Master Pages—as long as it means I won't be messing up everything that I've done so far.

What I've been doing for the last two sections of my book is to create new pages, using my Masters, and then tweak each page individually so that it looks better.  That's time-consuming, I realize, but I've felt safe doing it.

Now, as I launch into a new section, I'd like to change my Masters so that they reflect my 'new, improved' look, but I don't want all the pages I've already created to be changed.

So I'm wondering about the best way to proceed.  Should I tweak my Master Pages, and then, if my already-created pages get changed in a way I don't want, select each of those pages/spreads and choose 'Override All Master Page Items'?

Or if I tweak my Master Pages, perhaps it won't affect any of the pages I've already created, as long as I don't choose 'Apply Master to Pages'?

thanks for any advice,

Malcolm

• 1. Re: so that I don't bungle things (re tweaking my Master Pages)...
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd create a new master pages based on your new look, and use those going forward. That way, they won't affect your existing work. But, frankly, best practice would have been to mostly finalize the look before beginning, have only things that will not change per page on the Master, and use Styles on everything (Paragraph Styles, Character Styles and Object Styles) to make global changes easier. **Never override styles - create a new style for each new type of text.**

It might even be worth your while to begin again with these concepts in mind. It might not seem like a big deal now, but when you are ready to update the work, you'll be glad you took the time.

• 2. Re: so that I don't bungle things (re tweaking my Master Pages)...
            malch Level 1

Thank you so much SRiegel.  I'll create new Master Pages.  I will also read any chapter I can find on Styles!

Regards,

Malcolm

• 3. Re: so that I don't bungle things (re tweaking my Master Pages)...
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With text styling, use Paragraph styles, and for any necessary overrides (superscript, bold, italic, etc.) that will affect small portions of a paragraph, set up Character Styles that contain the override only. That way, if you change the main paragraph font, your character styles will keep the paragraph font, while maintaining the bold, italic, ect.

Come back to this board often - there is a ton of helpful advice to be found from the users here.