6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 3:33 PM by Chrisdmd

Illusion of Life animation - How?

Chrisdmd

I saw this animation The illusion of life on Vimeo

The creator said he used AE and although I am not new to AE (have CS6) I was wondering if anyone knows how to create such an amazing animation. I realize it's a lot of shape layer animation but the 3D look of the box is something I have no clue how to create.

Does anyone know of any tutorials on how to create this type of animation?

Thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: Illusion of Life animation - How?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That video is full of words to live by, and the entire thing can be done in After Effects but there is no plug-in that will give you those effects. It just takes time, the ability to visualize, and some talent to make things work. You can use expressions to help with things like squash and stretch and bounce. Fast to slow to fast or "easing" can be accomplished using the Graph Editor's bezier handles on the speed graph or by adjusting the Keyframe Velocity, or by using the keyframe assistant. Here again, nothing is automatically going to give you the exact feeling you want automatically. There are various ways to distort the images through plug-ins that come with AE to get the 'not everything stops at once' look, but here again, nothing is automatic.

Dan Ebberts has given us all a great example of Stretch and Squash using an expression for scale. Find it here: Dan't Stretch and Squash

To help my work along I've created a library of about 200 animation presets that automate the animation process by relying on in and out points of layers. Here's one of my favorites: Dropbox - flyInBounceDropOut.ffx Copy it to your User Presets folder and have fun.

• 2. Re: Illusion of Life animation - How?
            Chrisdmd Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for your reply. I completely understand that none of this is automatic by any means. I come from doing character animation in Maya so I get the hard work that is put into something like this. I am familiar with Dan Ebberts amazing work and I was also looking into his new Rubberize-It script. I guess the thing that confuses me the most in the animation is how he got the box to appear 3D at times which you could see when he rotates the box, etc... Since AE is not a 3D app, I was wondering how that look was created. I am not very expression-savvy so maybe I could envision how to create this if I was. I also need to understand more of the plugins that come with AE because I believe this is also hindering my progress.

Thank you very much for sharing the preset you have created. That is very generous of you!!

Thanks again Rick for taking the time to reply,

Chris

• 3. Re: Illusion of Life animation - How?

That could have easily been done with the C4D integration or even with simple solids. Here's an AE project to create a cube using 6 400 X 400 pixel solids offsetting the anchor point by 200 pixels in Z and then rotating one solid 90º in X, another 270º in X, another 90ª in y, another 180º in y and the last 270º in Y. This makes a perfect cube. You place a 3D null at the center of the comp, parent all 6 sides to the null, and then animate the null.

Dropbox - bouncingCube_cc.aep (Note: Dropbox will probably add a .txt extension to the .aep file. Just delete it)

• 4. Re: Illusion of Life animation - How?
                Chrisdmd Level 1

Rick,

Thank you again for the information. I am going to try that for sure. Thanks also for the project file but I only have CS6 and not CC so I can't open it

Thanks,

Chris

• 5. Re: Illusion of Life animation - How?

Here's a CS6 version.... Have fun.

Dropbox - bouncingCube_CS6.aep

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Illusion of Life animation - How?
                    Chrisdmd Level 1

Rick,

That was very kind of you to upload a CS6 version for me!!

Many thanks!

Chris