7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 9:53 AM by sshabek

Location of Capture Files

sshabek

Hello. I am capturing video from analogue sources using Premiere Pro and according to the capture screen it is saving the initial digitization as a .dv file, but I cannot find that file anywhere on my PC. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Location of Capture Files
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look in the Project Settings / Scratch Disk window where Premiere puts the captured files.

Yes it is a DV file but Premiere captures the files as an .avi on windows and .mov on a Mac.

• 2. Re: Location of Capture Files
            sshabek Level 1

So far I have digitized 3 films. I have looked where the path indicates the captured video and audio should be, but all I find are .prproj files for the project itself and .avi files and that I was prompted to create. I work in preservation for a library and I want to preserve the first generation digitization which I understand to be the .dv file, not the second generation .avi I am seeing. The capture screen says it is saving the capture as a .dv file. I am perplexed.

• 3. Re: Location of Capture Files
              jstrawn Adobe Employee

Whatever you're seeing is not matching any Pr workflow that I know of. You'll need to provide more specific steps and probably a screenshot or two if you wan tis to understand the disparity between what Anne explained and what you're seeing. What version of PrPro are you on? Can you right click on a media file in the project panel (or sequence) and choose an options like "reveal in Finder (or Explorer)"?

• 4. Re: Location of Capture Files
                sshabek Level 1

I did a little more experimentation and I found that the files were there, but as avi files whereas I expected them to be dv files. What I want to do is get the best original digitization I can to preserve which I may be erroneously assuming is the dv file. If this is correct, would you be able to tell me how to change the raw file capture from avi to dv? Sorry if this is confusing or overly elementary. I am quite new to this. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Location of Capture Files
                  jstrawn Adobe Employee

http://fileinfo.com/extension/dv

.dv Format Description: Recorded video file created by a digital video camera; saved to the camera's DV tape and uses a standard raw format for the DV video; supported by several video editing programs. NOTE: The ".dv" extension is also sometimes used for other video formats such as QuickTime-DV or DV-AVI. In these cases, you will need to open them with their respective software programs.

http://fileinfo.com/extension/avi

.avi Format Description: Video container or wrapper format created by Microsoft; stores video data that may be encoded in a variety of codecs; typically uses less compression than similar formats such as .MPEG and .MOV. AVI files can be played by various video players, but the player must support the codec used to encode the video data.

• 6. Re: Location of Capture Files
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never seen Premiere capture to .dv ?

• 7. Re: Location of Capture Files
                      sshabek Level 1

I have done more reading and apparently it captures to avi for windows, if I understood correctly. Thanks for your attention with all of this.