8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 8:05 AM by bsbeamer

Your system has run out of application memory

EditorPete Level 1

HI all,

Quick overview....been working on same project for 1 month, no updates or new installs to compete with. This prompt came up while rendering my 5 min 1920x1080 Prores sequence. I've outputted this same sequence multiple times over the past few weeks/days due to changes from the client. I did nothing different on this output or no big change to effects or anything...just a text change. If I hit resume it renders for about 2 seconds then prompts again....anyone else ever seen this....I have 32GB of ram and never had any issues running Premiere due to lack of memory. Right before this started happing today, my duel monitors started acting bizarre. ie....one is working fine, other shuts off.....when reboot the startup screen is on the wrong(2nd) monitor.  After rebooting, they go back to normal. Weird!!!!!

Thanks,

Pete

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 1.56.06 PM.png

OSX Yosemite V.10.10.1

Mac Pro Late 2013

2Ghz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32GB Ram

AMD Firepro D700

Message was edited by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: added a more searchable title

• 1. Re: Never seen this one before
          Jake1432 Level 1

I received that error a couple times about a year ago. I cleared my cache and didn't get the error again. That may help you with that issue. I have no clue what is going on with the monitors though.

• 2. Re: Never seen this one before
            Jim Curtis Level 3

First off, your thread title is no help at all to future problem seekers who have the same issue and use the Search function.  It would help them/us to write a more helpful topic title.

I have two suggestions:  Check your boot disk and ensure you have at least 100 GB available at all times.  Or else, you risk running out of Virtual Memory in disk swaps.

Pr has been notorious for TOO MANY YEARS, Adobe, for RAM hogging.  If you keep your Activity Monitor open, set to System Memory, you'll notice that after using Pr for any length of time, the Inactive Memory indicator will take over, showing that Pr is using all your available RAM, and Pr will start acting sluggish.  I haven't seen your alert before (I think it's probably a VM and not RAM issue.), but I've definitely connected no available RAM to sluggish Pr behavior.

You can flush that inactive RAM and retrieve your Free RAM by opening a Terminal window and typing purge and hit the enter button.  There's a freeware utility on the web for this if you're Terminal-averse.  I keep a Terminal window open when editing, because this is something I have to do several times per edit session.  I wish Adobe would fix this, and make it purge Inactive RAM in the background. 

• 3. Re: Never seen this one before
              EditorPete Level 1

Thanks for the replies....Jim, yes I should of titled my question better, but I did have a tag on it for searching... Anyways, I purged all my cash and all seems good now. Yes, PrP seems to be a RAM hog. I have major issues trying to render in PrP with AE open in the background....I mean major. Once I close AE, all is well.

Pete

• 4. Re: Your system has run out of application memory
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Pete,

EditorPete wrote:

Thanks for the replies....Jim, yes I should of titled my question better, but I did have a tag on it for searching.

Fixed.

Thanks,
                Kevin

• 6. Re: Your system has run out of application memory
                  bsbeamer Level 2

I've been greeted by the "your system has run out of application memory" error several times whenever I am rendering a PPro timeline and have anything else open (AE, PS, AI, DW, etc).  Quitting all applications BEFORE rendering a timeline helps, but it's not 100%.  Have submitted numerous crash reports related to this.  An actual FIX for the issue would be appreciated.  Happening on OSX 10.10.1 on "mid-2012" MacPro with GTX 680 (official) 32GB RAM.  Running PPro 2014.2 / 8.2.0 65 Build.

• 7. Re: Your system has run out of application memory
                    Jim Curtis Level 3

How much free space on your boot disk?  This is an OS error, not an Pr error.

• 8. Re: Your system has run out of application memory
                      bsbeamer Level 2

Currently 175GB free on the system drive (an SSD).  Currently 315GB free on the media drive that this project is working from (another SSD).