5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 6:24 AM by Bill Gehrke

Any Way To Verify GPU acceleration?

John Ellenberger Level 1

Just setting up a new machine and for the first time I bought a card to support GPU acceleration (Firepro W2100) and I saw a few weird things that make me want to drill down a little and see if the AMD set-up is really correct for Premiere.  I bought a box with lots of memory and CPU but only Intel onboard graphics.  I worked on a few simple Premiere projects and then the graphics card came and I installed it.  When I first got into and existing project, I got the warning that it was switching to the software rendering engine because the last engine used on the project was "not longer available."  This freaked me out a bit but then when I reopened the project it clearly showed the OpenCL engine was in use.  Hmmm.  So this raised at least two questions:

1. Is there any way to be sure that its using my new graphics card?
      2. I saw in the literature that Adobe can use multiple graphics cards.  Since apparently it was somehow using the Intel onboard graphics (a bit of a surprise) I of course wonder if there's any way it would leverage the AMD card and the Intel.  I assume this is only for things like crossfire where the graphics cards are identical and electrically connected(?)

Anyway.  Are there any utilities that one can use to poke around and figure out what is really happening?

John

• 1. Re: Any Way To Verify GPU acceleration?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

If the load is greater than 5 to 10% or so then likely you are using it.  Most likely you cant use the Intel and the AMD for acceleration at the same time even though both use Open CL. BTW 2 GPU's only works for rendering.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Any Way To Verify GPU acceleration?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to see what your system can do run our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM)  It will tell you what your computer is doing.  Here is a fictitious example

The item #3 will show you how long it takes to export the MPEG2-DVD timeline with CPU only divided by the time it takes to export the same timeline with GPU acceleration.  With your AMD card you will have a much smaller MPE Gain than you would have with an nVidia card

This is assuming you have at least Premiere Pro CS6, Premiere Pro 7 (CC) or Premiere  Pro 8 (CC2014) for this version of the benchmark.

• 3. Re: Any Way To Verify GPU acceleration?
              John Ellenberger Level 1

Well but if I read your site correctly it says you only test CUDA cards which means Nvidia which means my Firepro 2100 would not be included.  I bought the AMD partly because I have been buying their cards since I built my first PC 2-3 decades ago so if given the choice I tend to reach for the ATI (now AMD) card.  I am not sure if the "Nvidia is always faster" is true anymore--at least AMD and Adobe are doing some joint marketing that claims otherwise.  Unfortunately the 2100 is their low end, so I read that it doesn't include codec acceleration (should have spent the extra $30 for the 4100).

• 4. Re: Any Way To Verify GPU acceleration?
                John Ellenberger Level 1

I also used GPU-Z which is the kind of thing that I was originally looking for.  When I am scrubbing I see the GPU load going up to 35% or so.  Pretty much nothing during rendering (which I expected from reading the reviews).  The card is not listed as a OpenCL card although it is on the Adobe approved list as an OpenCL card so I am not sure if the results its showing are valid(?)

• 5. Re: Any Way To Verify GPU acceleration?
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have tested an AMD card, you just have to be able to interpret the instructions from the nVidia terminology.

With MPE acceration there is no doubt that CUDA currently is faster than OpenCL.