13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 7:32 PM by Rick Gerard

Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate

KeatonBowlby

I have search for an answer for this for awhile and cannot seem to find something straight forward.

First off I'm shooting videos with a 6d and a go pro hero 3+ black.

Im shooting usually 1080 at 30 fps with the 6d and 1080 at 60 fps with the go pro for slow motion shots.

I am using either after effects or premier (depending on what I want to do in the edit) and am getting some laggy/choppy/jumpy playback after I have finished certain projects.

For example:

I want the end video to play in 30 fps.

- should I conform the go pro clips from 60 fps to 30 fps using go pro studio before putting them into after effects if I plan on doing slow motion or time remapping with them? Should the sequence settings be for 30 fps or for 60?

- the clips play just fine before and after I conform them in go pro studio but once they are done in my render que the playback video lags.

Here is an example between :20 - :25 seconds    La Quinta, Ca on Vimeo    .... to me it seems like its skipping frames. In this video I did not conform them into 30 fps before hand. i just used time stretch and time remap to slow them down. I also put pixel frame blending onto the clip. (this was shot only with a go pro)

• 1. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, if you're just hitting the space bar in AE, you stand the proverbial snowball's chance of real time playback.  You have to do a RAM Preview.  Hit the zero key on the numeric keypad.

Bear in mind that AE is NOT a video editing application, it was never intended to be one, it was desgined for a totally different purpose, so it doesn't operate or behanve like a video editing application.

• 2. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
            KeatonBowlby Level 1

Sorry I must be using the wrong term. I mean when the project is said and done and I output it to h.264 its laggy. I know about RAM preview. I use premier too, I do some rotoscoping and motion tracking in AE

• 3. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

If by the term "laggy" you mean that an AE-rendered file freezes up briefly and plays in fits & starts, I'm not convinced you made an H.264 file.  It sounds more a lossless file:

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

Besides, AE isn't good at making H.264 video.  Adobe Media Encoder is much better.

And if you're making H.264 files for use in, say, Premiere, that's a very bad idea: you're losing image quality.  If it's for playback in a media player or YouTube or something like that, you're okay.

• 4. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's the deal with frame rates. USE file interpretation to set the frame rate DO NOT time stretch or conform to a new frame rate when you are transcoding because you will loose frames or quality or both. Simple as that. In your workflow I'd import the GoPro footage, interpret it at 29.97 because that's the frame rate for your comp, then, when you drop the GoPro footage in the timeline it will play back at half speed. If you need to slow it down further either use time remapping or a plug-in like Twixtor. You'll get much better results.

I hope this makes sense. Slow Mo is confusing for folks that have only worked in video but it makes perfect sense to folks like me that a grew up with a 16mm Bolex in his hands and has shot footage on film up to 20,000 fps.... All projectors (except the old analysis projectors football coaches used to use to analyze plays) run at 24 fps so my 20,000 fps camera footage really played back slowly and you could see all of the rivets pop as the wing spar failed, but that is another story.

• 5. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
                  KeatonBowlby Level 1

Im making the videos all to be played on vimeo.
                  It is a h.264 file. I changed it from lossless in the render que.

Have you watched the video i linked for an example of what I'm referring to? AE doesn't freeze. Im talking about playback outside of after effects or premier. See the link for examples at 20 - 25 seconds

• 6. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
                    KeatonBowlby Level 1

Rick your response is great, thank you! That makes sense. I will test that out now.

• 7. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate

Don't pick H.264 in the render cue... it's buggy and does a horrible job especially if it's QuickTime H.264. Use the AME (Adobe Media Encoder) to compress from delivery. A good Production codec would be JPEG2000 QuickTime (supports and alpha channel) or PNG QuickTime, or several others with quality set to 90 or better. Don't use MPEG in production unless it is the only format your camera can use. If the camera has a choice between h.264 and AVCHD chose h.264 at the highest data rate.

• 8. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
                        KeatonBowlby Level 1

those file types for vimeo?

• 9. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate

Yes, use the AME and the Vimeo presets under h.264. You'll get a much better file.

BTW, I looked at your sample and it looks like there is some frame judder at about 24 seconds. This can come from critical panning speeds or it could be from temporal artifacts you get when you time stretch. Follow the recommendations I gave for interpreting your GoPro footage and you'll get better results.

On a side note, if you're doing the filming for real estate double check your insurance policy and make sure that you are in compliance. I know from experience that your liability insurance is not going to pay anything on any claim if you are not in 100% compliance with the regulations for operation your camera gear. Even OSHA violations with a camera on a jib arm can leave you hanging. The FAA is establishing rules for operation of drones for commercial purposes and you must be in compliance or your are hanging your future on the reliability of a lithium polymer battery.

• 10. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
                            KeatonBowlby Level 1

I understand and follow the regulations. I also have insurance in place as well. Thank you for the help. I will post a video when I mess around with some of the tips you've provided.

• 11. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate

Glad you do. I see so many folks making films without any consideration of their liability. I have a dear friend that lost his home more than 20 years ago and is still paying for an accident that he thought he was covered for when his Jib arm, mounted in an unsafe location in a paper mill caused a mill shutdown, equipment damage and an injury. His insurance said sorry, you were clearly operating your gear in a red zone in the factory where no one was allowed and they didn't pay a dime... We all love pretty pictures but no image is worth risking your livelihood or your life for.

• 12. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate
                                KeatonBowlby Level 1

Another quick question rick- if i need to stabilize a clip (in premier or after effects)... what should i have media encoder output set to for the file to be best quality or as close to the original file as possible so i can utilize the clip later on

• 13. Re: Gopro/DSLR sequence frame rate

Pick a lossless or nearly lossless format. Quicktime JPEG with quality at 95 is OK. GoPro Chinaware with quality set to best is also good and has a higher bit depth. There are lots of production codecs, just don't use MPEG formats like mp4 or h.264