5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 5:27 PM by Chris Cox

Photoshop CS6 windows can't open a .hdr file

jason.n.hutchins

I can't open .hdr files with Photoshop CS6 Version 13 x64 for windows 7.
      I just updated and installed the optional plugins just in case that would help but I still get the same error code: "Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file."
      I read online elsewhere that this error code means the files are corrupted with other file types, but I wasn't sure with these as I've never used .hdr before.

Sorry if this is a repeat discussion, I saw most other discussions were errors about trying to make one - I'm just trying to open one.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 windows can't open a .hdr file
          Level 7

Sounds like the file is not a recognized form of Radiance .hdr file.

Are you sure that the file actually is a Radiance .hdr file, and doesn't just have the wrong file extension?

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 windows can't open a .hdr file
            jason.n.hutchins Level 1

hdrFileProperties.jpg
            Here's a properties screen shot if it helps narrow down the possibilities?

I haven't ever used .hdr's before so I had to look up what Radiance is [I know I'm a terrible artist] and the wiki stated it's a file type often used on simulators, and that's what I'm working on is simulator environment textures so I think there's a possibility they are a Radiance file ... maybe. Obviously I didn't generate them, but I'm trying to update them. The only thing that seems really odd to me is how incredibly small the files are, it was my understanding these were supposed to be highly detailed images based on photography.

I guess my main goal is to determine there's nothing wrong with this version of photoshop, and instead there's something wrong with the files. I know they work in the simulator as they're currently in use there, it's only in editing them that there is an issue.

Thanks so much for your help on this!

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 windows can't open a .hdr file
              Level 7

Nope, that just tells us the file extension is .hdr (which we already knew).

Can you post a file that we can take a look at?

I still suspect that they have the wrong file extension.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 windows can't open a .hdr file
                jason.n.hutchins Level 1

I finally heard back from the company that originally produced the files and they said they created these file extensions and they're only able to be properly read by the simulator. So it was one of those moments when I asked why I was asked to edit those files if they're only able to be read by the simulator and they're not radiance file types ... and now they're supplying files I can actually edit. Lol. Thanks for knowing what was wrong right away and sticking to it!

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 windows can't open a .hdr file
                  Level 7

If you email me one of the files, I could take a look at what is actually in it, and see if it is editable.

ccox (at) adobe (dot) com