6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 6:17 AM by JJMack

Display the Welcome screen when Photoshop CC starts up?

dookied2

I have researched and found lots of incidences where people want to keep the Welcome screen from displaying but I am want it to display and it will not.

The checkbox under Edit>Preferences>General that says "Do Not Show Welcome Screen on Launch" is unchecked. I have tried checking that box saving, then unchecking saving again and restarting Photoshop. I have tried uninstalling Photoshop twice, once saving my preferences, the second time discarding my preferences and re-installing. Still no Welcome screen at launch. I have read that there is an option under Help>Welcome... to reopen the Welcome screen. I do not see that option and believe that is on the Mac only.

By the way the Welcome screen opens/works perfectly in Illustrator CC 2014.

I am running a Windows 7 PC with the latest version of Photoshop CC 2014.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Display the Welcome screen when Photoshop CC starts up?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Use Phoshop nenu Help>Welcome... When the Welcome... Page opens in Photoshop Browser scroll to the bottom and make sure the Don't show Welcome is not checked...

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: Display the Welcome screen when Photoshop CC starts up?
            dookied2 Level 1

I have an update on this...

I noticed sometimes that as soon as I opened Photoshop, if I clicked on Help immediately I would see the "Welcome..." option, then a second or 2 later "Welcome..." would disappear from under Help.

So once I clicked on "Welcome..." as soon as Photoshop opened and the Welcome screen opened as I would expect it should.

Next I closed PS, when it launched I tried to click on "Welcome..." again. I saw it under Help, clicked on it, but this time and all subsequent times, it gives me an error that the Welcome screen is not installed.

Also I have reset my preferences several times, but that doesn't fix it.

Ideas?

• 3. Re: Display the Welcome screen when Photoshop CC starts up?
              dookied2 Level 1

JJMack,

Pls see my last comment.

I do not have a "Welcome..." option under Help to click on. I did see that option immediately after PS launches but then it goes away after only a sec or 2. in most cases when I click on it I get an error.

NoWelcome.jpg

WelcomeError.jpg

Uninstalling and re-installing didn't fix it, neither did turning off my anti-virus software. I had read somewhere that AV software could cause a prob.

Obviously its not a major issue, but it is highly annoying and would like to know what is causing it and how to fix it.

• 4. Re: Display the Welcome screen when Photoshop CC starts up?
                dookied2 Level 1

I was finally able to capture a screenshot of the "Welcome..." option when it displays and then VERY quickly disappears...

WelcomeDisplayed.jpg

I've only successfully been able to click on it quick enough to open the Welcome screen once, all other times I get the error shown in my last post.

• 5. Re: Display the Welcome screen when Photoshop CC starts up?

I believe you have an installation problem.  Others have had problems  with the Welcome Screen and I had a problem after the 15.2.2 update.  Others were not able to Play the video tutorials from the welcome window.  Photoshop seems to use CEPHtmlEngine.exe to display the Welcome screen.  The CC 2014.2.2 update installed on my machine without a problem.  CC 2014 worked and I had turned off the welcome screen.  However I did not have the new Photoshop CC 2014 preference Do not show Welcome Screen on launch and when I tried to use menu Help>Welcome I received a popup error stating Photoshop could not start the plug-in because it was not signed.  The way I was able to fix this problem was to download the direct CC 2014 installer and install CC 2014 on top of the CC 2014 currently insall.  CC 2014 installed and was installed activated and after I used menu Help>Update  to get CC 2014 up to CC 2014.2.2 all worked my Add-ons and preferences were still there.  However if I start CC 2014 and immediately try to open the Welcome screen I will get the pop-up your getting Welcome Dialog not installed. But when I click OK and try menu Help>Welcome a second time it works.  The new Preference Do not show Welcome Scree on launch is there and I can set it there or from the welcome screen option.

Capture.jpg

• 6. Re: Display the Welcome screen when Photoshop CC starts up?

Just found this on Adobe Troubleshoot Welcome Screen

We know its HTML based so things that effect browsers may also affect this feature clearing Photoshop things like recently opened files perhaps caches like the bridge and ACR have resetting tools and Photoshop preferences may also help get Welcome working.

Adobe has a Problem with this feature the existence of the above link shows your not alone.

At the bottom of their trouble guide there is a script to turn it off

// Thu Oct 30 2014 14:08:39 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

// Enable or disable the hello/welcome screen by setting the flag in the Photoshop registry

var desc = new ActionDescriptor();

desc.putBoolean( stringIDToTypeID( "show" ), false );

app.putCustomOptions( "0685b2e9-19db-4679-90b9-34644fcc7884", desc, true );

alert("Hello will not appear the next time you launch Photoshop.");