7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 7:51 AM by JimHess

Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?

Hawley Schneider

Hey everyone,

I REALLY want to upgrade to Lightroom 5, but I've read that Lightroom 6 is due to come out in March. I'd rather get the 6, but don't want to have to arbitrarily wait two months just so that I don't have to pay for two upgrades. Does anyone know if there's a way to buy 6 in advance, and use the 5 until it comes out or like, is there a time window between when you purchase and a newer version comes out that the upgrade will be automatically included in your earlier purchase? Just wondering if there's a way they motivate people (like yours truly) to buy their version when a newer one is expected.

I really need to upgrade (long story), so I'm hoping there's some way to do this! Thanks for any wisdom y'all can provide.

Hawley

• 1. Re: Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The March release date for Lightroom 6 is only a rumor that has been started by someone who isn't in the know. It could be released in March, or it might be later. Anyone who knows is not going to be able to say. Since there hasn't even been a beta release for feedback, it's doubtful that there is anywhere that you can pre-order Lightroom 6.

You could consider the creative cloud $9.99/month program that includes Photoshop and Lightroom. When Lightroom 6 is released you would get it automatically, no additional charge.

• 2. Re: Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?
            dj_paige Level 9

I really need to upgrade (long story), so I'm hoping there's some way to do this! Thanks for any wisdom y'all can provide.

As Jim said, the creative cloud at $9.99/month gives you LR 5 now and LR 6 later when it comes out.

If that's not an option for you, then no one has any wisdom that is based on facts ... whether or not to buy LR 5 now is complete guess work, and you can do that without our help.

• 3. Re: Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?
              Keith_Reeder Level 4

hawley schneider wrote:

but I've read that Lightroom 6 is due to come out in March.

You haven't read it anywhere that has any insight into, or knowledge of, Adobe's plans. Lr 6 might happen this March, but it might not be released until next March.

• 4. Re: Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?
                Simon G E Garrett Level 2

Keith_Reeder wrote:

hawley schneider wrote:

but I've read that Lightroom 6 is due to come out in March.

You haven't read it anywhere that has any insight into, or knowledge of, Adobe's plans. Lr 6 might happen this March, but it might not be released until next March.

Quite.  Those that know can't say, and those that say don't know.

The last few releases of Lightroom have been preceeded by beta versions, and the beta version has appeared from two months to eight months before the launch.  As there's no beta for LR6 yet, it probably means LR6 won't appear until at least March-April, but it might be much later in the year - or beyond. 

• 5. Re: Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?
                  Kopoos Level 1

Well, looks like March 9th, 2015 is the expected release date - The box image, new features and specs have already been leaked out.

There are two things you can do if you want to use LR5 now: (1) Use the 30-day free trial or (2) buy LR5 from Adobe directly or an authorized reseller and take advantage of their 30 day return policy once version 6 is released. 

On most product releases they also have a free upgrade policy to the newer version if you buy  the outgoing version right before it's released (here's more info). It's actually a great time to buy Lightroom 5 as most resellers have good deals on LR5 now so you can buy LR5 at the sale price and get LR6 for free... The only risk is if the release date is pushed out by Adobe and you fall outside of the free upgrade window.

• 6. Re: Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

Kopoos wrote:

Well, looks like March 9th, 2015 is the expected release date

It means no such thing.

Enough with the rumour-mongering.

• 7. Re: Buy Lightroom 5 - when Lightroom 6 is on its way?
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to reinforce what others have said. The only "official" information that has been given from Adobe about Lightroom 6 is that it will be 64-bit only on both Windows and the Mac. Anything else that has been "leaked" is from someone who wants to get a little attention, apparently.