8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2015 11:15 AM by NicHamilton

Duplicate copies after editing

dvan1901

Lightroom 5 on a Mac. After editing a file, I notice that in Finder I now have duplicate copies of my photo files; the original file, then a duplicate, which I assume is created by Lightroom for editing. How do I clean these up so they are not taking up so much space on my hard drive?

• 1. Re: Duplicate copies after editing
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I assume you are referring to editing the image in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or some other external editor. Lightroom itself does not make changes to the original image. Your images are always in their original pristine state. Whenever you use an external editor the results are sent back to Lightroom as an additional file. The philosophy behind this is that you always have your original files in their original state. You can stack your images so that you only see one copy. The only way to get rid of one of those images is to delete it. You either delete the original (which I don't think you would want to do) or you delete the edited copy. And by doing that you get rid of everything you did using that external editor program.

• 2. Re: Duplicate copies after editing
            dvan1901 Level 1

Actually, no; I only edited the files in Lightroom. I imported the files from my cameras memory card into Lightroom. Then, I selected "Develop" to edit the files; as an aside, I've basically edited every file because they are scuba pictures so some white balances or cropping was done on every photo. After I have finished editing, I go into Finder on my Mac and notice that there are copies of every file that Lightroom edited.

• 3. Re: Duplicate copies after editing

That is really strange! I have never heard of that happening. Can you post a screenshot of the Finder listing?

• 4. Re: Duplicate copies after editing
                dvan1901 Level 1

The first screen shot is in Finder, you can see the duplicate, focus on "PICT0136.JPG", you will see there is also a "PICT0136-2" in Finder. Further, notice that the image has not been rotated. Now, the second screenshot shows Lightroom, where I have rotated the image and cropped it. If you look at the filename in Lightroom, the only one that exists is the "PICT0136-2", the original file does not appear in Lightroom, this is consistent with all of the "duplicate" files.

FinderDuplicate.png

LightRoomEdit.png

• 5. Re: Duplicate copies after editing

Do you have the option to write changes to XMP Selected? I don't know if that would have any effect in this instance. I'm just looking for possibilities.

• 6. Re: Duplicate copies after editing
                    dvan1901 Level 1

I did not immediately see that option; where would I find it?

• 7. Re: Duplicate copies after editing

It's in the catalog settings. But if you aren't aware of it then you probably haven't checked it. It probably would have no effect in this situation anyway. I'm just trying to think of ideas, but I haven't come up with any as of yet.

• 8. Re: Duplicate copies after editing
                        NicHamilton Level 3

Are you sure this duplication isn't occurring at import time?

As Jim has said, LR doesn't create copy files to edit, the only time it should create a duplicate of a file is during Import if one chooses Copy or at Export.  LR just acts as a database storing the changes you've made to files and showing you what they will look like with those changes made.

I'm not familiar Macs with  so don't know what the "Date Modified" column refers to (yes, I know what it should refer to but dates associated with photos aren't always the ones you think they are).  Do the dates that are displayed tie up with your editing dates and times, import times, photo taken times or even something else?  It may be possible to show some other date columns in Finder (it is in Windows Explorer) to try and pin down what's happening and when....not to mention why!