14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2015 9:06 AM by Windows 8 and Premiere 13

Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8

Windows 8 and Premiere 13

I have installed adobe premiere 13 on my new windows 8 computer. It is a hp pavilion with AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon (TM) HD graphics 1.50 GHz and 6 GB of RAM and a 64 bit operating system.

My problem is that every time I try to edit a video, a message pops up saying that adobe has stopped working and windows is searching for a solution. Then, the program shuts down.

So, it is my computer or is the Premiere 13 not compatible with my computer?

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

W8 and P13

Premiere Elements 13 Windows 8 64 bit

Let us go through the usual drill and determine if we can find the cause of your issue.

1. Is this a "it worked before but not now" or a  "it never worked before" issue?

2. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

3. Do you use a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are you running it and Premiere Elements 13 as

Administrator?

5. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the manufacturer of the card? Under Device Manager/Display

Adapters, what is listed - just the AMD card?

6. Your processor clock speed is very low. Is that a typing error when you wrote 1.50 GHz?

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
            Windows 8 and Premiere 13 Level 1

It has stopped working every time I try to edit since I have installed. (I have even uninstalled and re-installed it).

I have norton on, and I'm not sure how to disable it when I use premiere.

I use a mouse. I have a desktop computer.

I have the latest quicktime and it said it is up to date. And I ran it as administrator and it stopped working again.

I just checked my video card and it is up to date and lists AMD Radeon HD 8330. Still has not solved the problem.

My processor said 1.50 GHz. I didn't realized it was 1.50 when I brought the product.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
              A.T. Romano Level 7

W8 and P13

I am wondering if the processor and its clock speed could be at the core of this issue.

Are you still eligible to ask HP customer service about that 1.50 GHz?

If possible determine if you can get its input on that point especially since the Premiere Elements 13

System Requirement publish 2.0 GHz. Often System Requirements are for "for best results" rather than

"has to be".

Since the matter involves when you go to edit rather than an installation problem,

I am concerned about that feature of your computer. Best we focus on that and try to rule that in or out.

What type of projects are you doing (SD or HD) and how far do you get in the projects and what are you doing in the projects

when the problem hits?

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8

I don't know if I am eligible or not. How would I find out?

I believe my videos (the ones I want to edit) are SD. I want to cut one video and fade in another video. However, when I try to fade it will stop working, or when I try to play back with the two different videos together it will stop. So I don't get very far in my project.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

W8 and P13

I think that your eligibility for HP Support goes to the warranty for your HP computer. Are you within the warranty period defined by your computer warranty or do you have

any extended warranty for the computer from HP?

Can you find out from your camera settings or otherwise what the properties are for your video that you are bring to the Premiere Elements Timeline?

I am mostly interested in video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio.

Often if the brand/model/settings for the camera that is recording the video is posted, I can put together this type of needed information from those details.

I asked about SD vs HD projects, since it might be expected that SD projects would be less resource demanding than HD ones. Also certain

video formats can impact program performance markedly, two examples, Xvid.avi and DV.AVI type 1.

Are you sure that your computer has a 64 bit operating system? I have seen instances where a computer can have a 32 bit operating system and a 64 bit process.

Then the application runs as a 32 bit application, not 64 bit application.

Let us see what we can put together to address this from processor/clock speed to properties of video source.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8

The HP support assistant shows that my standard warranty ends 9/27/15.

The properties of the videos I'm using are

file type: Video Clip (.AVI)

frame size: 640 by 480

frame rate: 28 frame/second

audio bit rate 176 kbps

The camera the videos are from is a Sanyo digital camera

I have checked the system information and it states that the operating system is windows 8.1 64-bit

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

W8 and P13

Great information. Thank you for compiling it for the troubleshooting plans.

1. First we need to determine if the issue

My problem is that every time I try to edit a video, a message pops up saying that adobe has stopped working and windows is searching for a solution. Then, the program shuts down.

only occurs when you use the video as your source media for the program Timeline. So, first thing, import only some jpeg stills to the Timeline and determine if the problem exists.

2. We need the properties of the video that is imported into the problem project. So far we know

1. Frame Size 640 x 480

2. Frame Rate 28 frames per second

3. File Extension is .avi

The major property that we need is the video compression that is being used. Maybe we can get that from the model of the Sanyo Digital camera. What is the model? I can try to find the information online with the brand/model.

Good to know that your Premiere Elements 13 is on Windows 8.1 64 bit. We might have to tie that into the above findings.

So, major information needed...

a. Video compression of the .avi file

b. And whether or not the issue is specific for this video

Many thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8

Okay so I added a few different pictures to the timeline with a new project. I added transitions and every worked when I played it back. I added audio and it worked as well. However, I added a video and tried to play it back and the program stopped working.

The model is VPC-S770

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

W8 and P13

I have been searching the Internet searching for the video compression your Sanyo camera is using with that .avi file extension.

Another of its cameras with the VPC- start in the name uses AVCHD. AVCHD.avi and Premiere Elements do not fare well and, if

AVCHD.avi, that file needs to be converted to another format before import into Premiere Elements....if possible to H.264.mp4.

Please see if you can confirm the video compression by running the video file through the codec utility named GSpot.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Here I will be looking for readings for Video Codec, Name, Status as well as Audio Codec and Status.

Can you import and work with your Sanyo video in a program such as Movie Maker 2012?

We will be watching for your results. This is shaping up as a support issue between your specific Sanyo file's format and Premiere Elements supported import file formats.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8

I ran the video through GSpot.

Under the Video section:

codec: MJPG

name: Motion JPEG

Under the audio section:

codec: PCM Audio

info: 22050Hz 176 kb/s (1chnl)

stat: no codec required

The move maker I have can import the video, but does a green effect when I tried to place a transition.

It plays the video, but the program itself doesn't give me a lot of options to work with.

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

W8 and P13

Great information.

MotionJPEG can be a problematic video compression for Premiere Elements (any version).

One of the options is to convert it to H.264.mp4 using the Movie Maker 2012. Just import and export. And, then import that export into

your Premiere Elements project and determine if the problems are gone.

Classical approaches to the MotionJPEG codec issues include...

a. installing a utility that came with the camera to get the required codec

b. download and install a MotionJPEG codec (not free, but does come with tryout) See tryout....

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/morgan/php/products.php?sProductId=4&sProductSub=download s

Link provided for informational rather than promotional purposes.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8

I tried to use movie maker to convert the video. At first it didn't work, but when I tried it again it worked and played in premiere.

Also, I downloaded the free trial for the codec and it seems to be working as well.

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere 13 stops working on Hp Pavilion AMD Windows 8
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

W8 and P13

Great news all around. So you have choices.

If you are going to be using that particular video source then you can weigh the pros and cons of whether or not to invest in the purchase of MotionJPEG codec.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR