24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 12:21 PM by iou362

Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6

waridari

Hello all,

I might overstress this topic a bit, cause it is probably asked too many times already.

Please, be patient with me ;-). But I'm a bit confused, what I found on the community board so far, or the responses are already too old. The official Adobe hardware compatibilty for PP CS 6 is not very helpfull as well, because the list seems to be a bit too old.

I'm starting to look into setting up a complete new Windows-System and want to use Premiere Pro CS 6, not CC or newer.

I'm looking for a Nvidia Geforce GPU card, that is on the market and can make use of the GPU accelleration within Premiere Pro CS 6. It should run stable, without a lot of trouble or limitations because the GPU is too new and therefore not fully supported by PP CS 6.

First I thought, about the relatively new GTX 970, but I've red in this community post that there is still some trouble with getting Premiere Pro to use the GPU acceleration. For me, even it's not so clear about which PP versions they talk during the post. And it looks like, that there are some limitations, what'S possible with this card.

I think currently about a system with the following components:

- Intel i7 CPU with 6 cores either with Haswell-architecture (2011-3 Socket) or Ivy Bridge (2011-Socket)

- 16 GB DDR4 Memory (for a start)

- Samsung 850 SSD disks.

- Windows 7 64-bit

I'd be very grateful, somebody could share his/her experience and name some GPU models, that fit into the system and is capable to make use of the GPU acceleration feature from Adobe PP CS 6 and of course are still on the market.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See reply #6 for my hardware list in https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536849 for what works for me

• 3. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
            eossipov Level 1

The biggest difference in my system came when I installed the Solid State Drive, which you have in your spec's. Don't let anyone ever tell you they don't make a difference, the difference between them in applied use over a 7200, is about the same as driving  between a shelby and a vwbus. I was shocked at the increased performance.

My processor (i5) currently maxes out very rarely, What will slow my system down more than anything is when I run low on virtual memory, i.e. drive space, keep a minimum of 1/3 of your drive empty to keep your system running at peek.

Also, check out the Windows 7 spec's on exactly what it can and cannot make use of with this issue. Having all the best hardware if great, but if the software cannot make use of it, well, we'd just have to design better software eh.

• 4. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
              RjL190365 Level 4

In addition to what has been stated in the above responses, do you realize that CS6 itself is now a "legacy" product? This means that it's now EOL (End-Of-Life) in terms of updates, and it will no longer be updated to add support for new hardware (although critical bug fixes may be patched). As such, the official GPU support list for CS6 is now final. (GPUs that are newer than those on the official list may work with CS6, but operation in MPE GPU-accelerated mode will not be guaranteed, and Adobe will no longer test new GPUs with CS6.)

• 5. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                cc_merchant Level 4

(GPUs that are newer than those on the official list may work with CS6, but operation in MPE GPU-accelerated mode will not be guaranteed, and Adobe will no longer test new GPUs with CS6.)

Sounds a bit as a scare to people relatively new on this forum. The 'hack' has always worked on all nVidia cards with 1+ GB memory, no exceptions, at least I have never heard of a single exception. All cards from the 400 series and upwards have always worked without any problem on CS6 if they had 1 GB memory or more. Even your own cards.

Examples: 480, 560, 660, 670, 740, 750, 760, 770, 780, Titan, all Ti versions of these, 900 series and Quadro K series and on and on.

Don't frighten people away from using nVidia cards, just because Adobe does not update their 'supported' list. There is so much Adobe does not update ...

Also, don't forget that CS6 is an inherent part of CC if only for using Encore CS6, that they can't have differences in the hardware MPE enabled cards between CS6 and CC.

• 6. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                  RjL190365 Level 4

There have also been some reports of GPU acceleration not actually working at all with the newer 900 series cards in CS6 even if MPE GPU acceleration appears to be "on". (That is, even with MPE GPU acceleration on and a lot of GPU-accelerated effects on the timeline, the GPU usage remains stuck at 0% while the CPU usage is pegged to 100%. This means that the CUDA MPE GPU acceleration doesn't work at all with that GPU – at least not with that version of that software.

• 7. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

cc_merchant.

Examples: 480, 560, 660, 670, 740, 750, 760, 770, 780, Titan, all Ti versions of these, 900 series and Quadro K series and on and on.

Don't frighten people away from using nVidia cards, just because Adobe does not update their 'supported' list. There is so much Adobe does not update ...

I completely agree with  cc_merchant and like to add that I have successfully run both the GTX 260 and the GTX 285 with CS6.  These latter two have been discontinued from new nVidia driver support so may not work with CC2014.  So you might expect any board that is five years old to  potentially "die" for today's applications.

I am using a GTX 970 very successfully and am delighted with the lower power of this board an the future (for me) 4K output capability.

• 8. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                      JFPhoton Level 3

...it seems unwise to build a system based on CS 6 at this time. Things are just moving so fast. CC 2014 includes big performance boosts in handling 4K and the old Canon MOV footage which used to CRIPPLE a machine with its 32 bit nature.  Monitors and cameras are all progressing to higher resolutions, and newer codecs coming may become even MORE compressed because they are designed primarily for internet streaming at a high quality...making more robust hardware a necessity to edit them. CS6 is getting "long in the tooth" and destined to be relegated to the big software shelf in the sky sooner than later.

I have been holding off a little. When the new Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD becomes available soon, I might jump then on building a new Haswell E system which should be able to keep up with advancements for at LEAST six months !!!...HAH !!

• 9. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6

RjL190365 wrote:

There have also been some reports of GPU acceleration not actually working at all with the newer 900 series cards in CS6 even if MPE GPU acceleration appears to be "on". (That is, even with MPE GPU acceleration on and a lot of GPU-accelerated effects on the timeline, the GPU usage remains stuck at 0% while the CPU usage is pegged to 100%. This means that the CUDA MPE GPU acceleration doesn't work at all with that GPU – at least not with that version of that software.

I have not really heard or seen any real problems, I am using CS6 for my productions and the GTX 970 is working great.  Here are my results with both CS6 and Premiere v. 8+.  I also run experimental projects and of course many PPBM runs with the latest versions as they are released.

"25","201","31","535", Premiere Version:, 6.0.5.0  GTX 970 SC

"25", "88","27","496", Premiere Version:, 8.0.1.21   GTX 970 SC

"25", "86","27","497", Premiere Version:, 8.1.0.81   GTX 970 SC

"25", "87","28","498", Premiere Version:, 8.2.0.65   GTX 970 SC

If readers are not familiar with PPBM the 4th number is the export time of the MPEG2-DVD benchmark timeline with CPU only, and the 3rd number is the same timeline exported with GPU assistance.  Therefore 4th number / 3rd number is the MPE hardware assisted gain.  Example 535/31 = 17.3

• 10. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                          waridari Level 1

First a big "thank you" for all the posts on my question.

The reason for staying on CS 6 is very simple: I don't see any real reason for me, why I should update at the moment to a newer version or this Cloud stuff, where I have to pay monthly fees. With CS6, I have all the stuff, that I currently need (and much more as well).

• 11. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                            waridari Level 1

@ :

Yes it is indeed very confusing for a newbie, when you don't find newer cards on the official Adobe compatibility list. That's exactly my point. I don't want to spend so much money for something, that won't work in the end.

So thank you.

I'm looking for NVIDIA GPU models, that deliver good performance ( for a reasonable price below 500 USD) and that community members use successfully in their environment together with Adobe Premiere Pro 6 and may be are able to give some good advice how to successfully bring it to work.

Bill Gehrke,

I'm very interested in your experience with a GTX 970 card, cause that would be my first choice. Mainly on the great power consumption/ performance ratio. But here in the community I've seen a post where a lot of people struggled to get this card running because of the new GPU architecture with Maxwell CUDAs.

That's, why I thought to take GTX 760 or 770 and overcome the issue, that were reported there. Just to be on the safe side.

Can you post a link or explain me, how you configured Premiere Pro 6 and the GTX 970?

Are there still any disadvantages with this new card with Premiere Pro 6?

Would be great, you could let me know.

Thanks again for all other posts so far.

• 12. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                              cc_merchant Level 4

Agreed 100%. If you own CS6, the perpetual license, and CS6 supports the camera formats you use, you save huge amounts of money by not going the rental CC route.

In the 20 months that the rental model now exists, the savings amount to about $ 1700, at least in Europe. By not spending rental payments to Adobe, you saved enough to buy a GTX 970 or 980 plus several SSD's to improve the systems performance far more than some slight CC performance gains. Improving the system works with all your applications.

Every 4 months you do not rent, gives you a Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for free.

So, you made a wise decision.

• 13. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                waridari Level 1

I could not have formulated it better .

I can buy hardware, that will outperform the performance improvements done by Adobe probably by a factor not only a few percentages. Plus, probably have a more stable software package available, that was already tested by thousands of users over years in the real world.

( I hope, Adobe won't kick me out of the community for this statement. )

The cherry topping would be to get the GTX 970 into my system setup.

Then I would be set for years, not only a few months as another member already stated here.

• 14. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6

waridari wrote:

Bill Gehrke,

Can you post a link or explain me, how you configured Premiere Pro 6 and the GTX 970?

Are there still any disadvantages with this new card with Premiere Pro 6?

Would be great, you could let me know.

1. I currently have nVidia 347.09 driver installed (earlier ones also worked) but I only install the graphics driver, I do not install the 3D, PhysX or the User Experience components.
                                  2. With Premiere CS6 it is of course necessary to either edit the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" (which I do) or delete the file.
                                  3. I have the performance set for best performance in Programs and Visual effects.
                                  4. Do not know of any disadvantage with Premiere Pro 6.
                                  5. I do have one problem that I think is a bad board problem on my specific board in that the memory clock is not running at the superclocked speed specification.  But it is working great despite that problem, I am working on a replacement.
                                  • 15. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                    waridari Level 1

Thank you for your reply Bill,

I will think about the rest of my system setup and give the newer GTX 970 a chance.

Thank you for all the replies I got on my post here.

Ed

• 16. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                      John Ratard Level 1

I have a GeFORCE GTX 970 that is now recognized by Premier Pro CS6 by adding it to a text file "cuda_supported_cards.txt" that appears under P.Pro CS6.  If you are familiar with editing, copy, drag and drop a file, it is simply done by adding GeForce GTX 970 to the list that appears in that txt file then replacing the original.  Keep a copy of the original for backup.  You need to be logged in as Administrator.  I can give more details if required.

You can also include the same entry into After Effects CS6 to a text file "raytracer_supported_cards.txt".  However, there is a 3D raytracer problem that presently exists for the GTX 970 that may be fixed in a later version.  A 3D error is noted when I first start AE on my Windows 7 PC that can be bypassed.  If you do not use 3D this should not be a problem.

• 17. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                        ireneray

Hi John,

I have Premiere Pro CS6 and trying to get it working with GTX 970. I would appreciate more details about how to add GTX 970 to the list and to get it working.

Thank you in advance

Irene

• 18. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6

Here are the contents of my CS6 "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file.  As you can see I have had quite a few GPU's in CS6

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce GTX 470

GeForce GTX 570

GeForce GTX 580

GeForce GT 650M

GeForce GTX 680

GeForce GTX 770

GeForce GTX 780

GeForce GTX 780 Ti

GeForce GTX 970

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Quadro CX

Quadro FX 3700M

Quadro FX 3800

Quadro FX 3800M

Quadro FX 4800

Quadro FX 5800

Quadro 2000

Quadro 2000D

Quadro 2000M

Quadro 3000M

Quadro 4000

Quadro 4000M

Quadro 5000

Quadro 5000M

Quadro 5010M

Quadro 6000

Tesla C2075

But never any Quadros!

• 19. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                            John Ratard Level 1

Here are detailed instructions:

1. In File Explorer find your Local Disk (C:)
                                            2. Click it to open the included folders
                                            3. Do the same for the folder Program Files
                                            4. Then click the Adobe folder
                                            5. You will find and then click the folder Adobe Premier Pro CS6
                                            6. Search down the included files where you will find cuda_supported_cards.txt
                                            7. Double click that file to find a list of all the included video cards entered by Adobe but not recently updated
                                            8. Save that file to your desktop as a backup
                                            9. After the last GeForce GTX 680 listed type enter
                                            10. In the space provided type GeForce GTX 970 exactly as shown and beneath the 680 version
                                            11. Save the file

When you next open PPro CS6 your GeForce GTX 970 card should be recognized and the CUDA function.  All going well, you may delete the backup file if not needed.

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 20. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                              ireneray Level 1

Thank you for detailed instructions, John!

I added GeForce GTX 970 to the list of supported carts and it is recognized now by Premiere Pro Cs6.

It is better now!

The only issue that I still can't figure out is why Premiere doesn't play a playback in the preview window smoothly when scrubbing through .

Some settings to change probably ...

Anyone knows?

Thank you

Irena

• 21. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                                John Ratard Level 1

Hi Irena,

A cause for erratic playback is usually because the speed of your CPU is not fast enough.  A cure is to downgrade the replay definition of the video through the definition settings. This does not affect the final results of your Export settings.

Regards,

John

• 22. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                                  markb49865184

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with the GeForce 1000 Series Cards and Premiere CS6?

I am considering getting a GTX1070 but I have read that there may be problems with the new "Pascall" chip architecture so that Cuda won't work.

• 23. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6

My $259 EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR 6GB GTX 1060 beats the GPU accelerated benchmarks in my Premiere Pro BenchMark from the GTX 780 and equals the GTX 780 Ti. And it easily overclocks the Memory Clock from the stated 8.0 Gbps to an amazing 9.6 Gbps with nVidia's "virtual clock" which coupled with the new Pascal architecture and the fewer CUDA cores makes this cheapy a best buy in my opinion and I even bought a second one and with both in my "test" system score amazingly well.

If you look at GPU-Z on the first Tab you will see 2500 MHz Memory Clock below but when you look at the second Tab you will see that for any CUDA application that it throttles the Memory Clock back to 2400 MHz or nVidia's virtual 9.6 Gbs

An interesting thing in CS6 is that to make it work you have to add the whole name of "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" to the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file, of course it is just automatically installs in the CC versions.

GTX-1060-OC-Tab-1and2-OC.png

• 24. Re: Geforce GTX model for Premiere Pro CS 6
                                                      iou362 Level 1

Hey Bill,

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering why my GTX 1060 wasn't working with CS5. I didn't realize that you have to put the 3GB or 6GB font after the card name in Cuda Supported cards.