5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 1:34 PM by Small Town Gal

Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 crashing on Mac

Twas2b

I have a Macintosh running Mavericks, 10.9.5 and was running Adobe Digital Editions 2 happily and then made the major error of trying to "update" to Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 -- and the installer crashed. Now when I try to run Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 it just crashes, and restoring Adobe Digital Editions 2 from Time Machine gives me an app that does not open.

Any advice other than never trying to use Adobe Digital Editions again, and remembering Adobe as a company that does not support it's products?

• 1. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 crashing on Mac
          Twas2b Level 1

I found an answer to a similar question on the Forum from TTWTT, who posted a link to download versions 2 and 3 of Digital Editions. I had tried find these downloads on Adobe's far from helpful website with total lack of success. Version 3 seems to be working.

Whether Adobe is working is a totally different question.

So far it appears that Adobe Digital Editions 4.02 is a disaster, best avoided.

• 2. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 crashing on Mac
            Twas2b Level 1

With more details: I found an answer to a similar question on the Forum from TTWTT (TTMTT), who posted a link to download versions 2 and 3 of Digital Editions at Adobe Digital Editions downloads (Adobe Digital Editions downloads). I had tried find these downloads on Adobe's far from helpful website with total lack of success. Version 3 seems to be working.

Whether Adobe is working is a totally different question.

So far it appears that Adobe Digital Editions 4.02 is a disaster, best avoided.

My thanks to TTMTT, and if I could give credit for a correct answer I would.

• 3. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 crashing on Mac
              Small Town Gal Level 1

Dear All,

Same here -- just updated from previous version to 4.0.2 and it installs and opens but then crashes and cannot be used.  This is on an older Mac Pro running Lion.  I hope this can be corrected, because I use Digital Editions to proof our e-books and I need it!  I have installed it on a new iMac running Yosemite yesterday, and it seems to be o.k. on that machine, but haven't used it extensively yet.  Hope there is a solution soon!

Small Town Gal

UPDATE:  I uninstalled version 4 and re-installed version 3 on my older Mac, and now things are working again.  Version 4.2 works on new iMac running Yosemite, but does not work on older Mac running Lion.  Version 3 and 2 are both still available on the Adobe Digital Editions download SITE.

• 4. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 crashing on Mac
                kedderle

Hi Small Town Gal and Everyone,

when de-installing Version 4 and then installing the old version on my mac - do I then need to re-register the computer? And if so, do you know if  that  means that my number of allowed registered devices is going down for me?

Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.2 crashing on Mac
                  Small Town Gal Level 1

Dear Kedderle,

I didn't have to reregister my computer for the reinstall of Version 3 after trashing Version 4  -- in fact, I don't ever remember registering my computer for any Adobe Digital editions installations in the first place because it is a free download available to all and I don't think that it has to be registered.  Hope this helps.