2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 4:47 AM by jlourens

When importing rendered clips from davinci into premiere they look darker and more contrasty.

Beatfrank

After importing the graded and rendered clips from davinci into premiere pro cc they look darker and more contrasty. I've checked the exported files from DaVinci and they look totally fine if you play them with any media player, but when I import them in Premiere Pro CC, they appear darker and way more contrasty than I've graded them in Resolve. Anyone have a solution for that?

Thanks!

Andrew

• 1. Re: When importing rendered clips from davinci into premiere they look darker and more contrasty.
          jamesp2 Level 1

This is a long-standing and complicated issue.  To start with, different media players interpret footage differently.  You can hope for the best, but there can be no expectation that footage in one player will look the same in another.  Ridiculous, but true.  The situation is further aggravated by different display cards and different monitors, and no prevailing standards of how color and levels are interpreted.

In your specific case, you need to look at the waveforms, in Resolve and in PPro.  It sounds as if the blacks are being crushed in PPro, which could mean you're monitoring them at 64 in Resolve, but they're being output at 0 or remapped to 0 in PP.   This may also relate to whether you've monitoring with data or video levels in Resolve. 

Is there a setting in PPro which covers how values are mapped, as data or video?  I think so, but just can't recall....  Anybody?  Staff?

• 2. Re: When importing rendered clips from davinci into premiere they look darker and more contrasty.
            jlourens Level 1

I had a similar problem and found that for some reason lumetri (premiere's color system) was reading the xml file and applying changes, there were also some weird cropping issues here and there... I ended up selecting all the clips in the timeline, right clicking and selecting "remove attributes" this seemed to sort out the issue for me...

The one way to check if this is your problem is to double click one of the clips in your timeline and compare the clip that comes up in your source monitor to the one showing the footage in your timeline... mine was drastically different.

This is obviously something Adobe needs to fix - I seemed to only start getting the problem after upgrading from cc 2015 to 2017 on mac