6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 7:51 PM by Szalam

After effects help

ryangregg

How am I able to create a fire trail like back to the future when there created by the car once it hits 80 mph i think. It's a 2d image that they will be applied to. The idea is I've taken a poster that my college have created for a upcoming music gig, the poster I am trying to give some life to by animating certain parts, one of these parts are the fire trails that the deloren leaves.

• 1. Re: After effects help
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are several ways to generate fire effects including particle systems and fractal noise. You can also buy stock footage or shoot some yourself. The big trick is matching perspective. You do that like you would in Photoshop. Figure out where the vanishing point would be and then distort your image to fit. The compositing would most likely involve screen or overlay blending modes.

If you're very new to AE let us know and we'll point you to some getting started with layering and compositing and 3D tutorials.

• 2. Re: After effects help
            ryangregg Level 1

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

• 3. Re: After effects help
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the record, shooting the fire yourself is much more fun than creating it in the computer.

Ropes soaked in kerosene is a good way to get a line of fire and is how they created it for the actual film. HOWEVER, YOU MUST BE SAFE AND USE COMMON SENSE when dealing with fire. Don't shoot it in a dry field, for example. Do it on a day that's not windy, on a non-flammable surface, and with fire extinguishers and lots of water handy.

• 4. Re: After effects help
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yay!  Practical effects!  Shoot 'em at night!  Shoot a test first!  Then revel in the fun!

• 5. Re: After effects help
                  dalerin

Hi Rick , I am new to AE . I want to add a fire trail and an explosion to my sons Bowling video . I have searched and I can't seem to find any good info on how to go about it . I would like to use maybe stock effects to make it a little easier for myself  until I get a little more familiar with the program . Any help would be appreciated .

• 6. Re: After effects help
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dalerin wrote:

Hi Rick , I am new to AE . I want to add a fire trail and an explosion to my sons Bowling video . I have searched and I can't seem to find any good info on how to go about it . I would like to use maybe stock effects to make it a little easier for myself  until I get a little more familiar with the program . Any help would be appreciated .

If you are new to AE, you have a lot to learn before you get into the exciting fiery stuff! If you skip the foundation, you're just going to have a terribly frustrating time. So, I'd recommend that you start here: Getting started with After Effects

Expect it to take you a few weeks or months to really get your head around how to work with After Effects.

Once you've done that, come back here and click on this link:

FAQ: How do I make fire, fog, smoke, or explosions?