4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2018 12:27 PM by JoãoCésar

Flash CS 6 - PNG downscaling issue

menidas Level 1

Hi all,

This is my first post here so apologies in case I don't get all the required information into the post right away.

I'm working with Adobe Flash Professional CS6 and aim to export an animation into a different tool. In order to do that I require the animation to be a sequence of .png files rather than any other format. So far so good, however, the individual files are to have a a rather small size (110x115 pixel).

Before working out the details in Flash, I had run a quick test in Photoshop with a few keyframes. The result was very good considering the low resolution.

The problem I encounter in Flash now is that the quality of the final .png files seems to be considerably lower than the results I was able to achieve in PS. It seems to me that the downscaling (I work on a 1100x1150 pixel file and downscale when exporting) causes a considerable loss of quality within Flash when it doesn't do the same in PS at all. Due to the limitations of tweening in PS I would prefer to use Flash instead, but the results stop me from doing that so far.

Here's what I've done so far - Attempt 1:

1. Import all my psd layers as flattened bitmaps
      2. add the animations
      3. export as png sequence while downscaling from 1100x1150 pixel to 110x115
      4. I have attempted this with 'smoothing' on and off

Attempt 2:

1. Redraw the whole image in vectors in Flash (rather than importing bitmaps from PS)
      2. add the animations
      3. export as png sequence while downscaling from 1100x1150 pixel to 110x115
      4. I have attempted this with 'smoothing' on and off

Both attempts resulted in a considerably lower .png quality than downscaling and exporting the frames in PS directly.

I hope this makes sense and would really appreciate any help you can offer.

• 1. Re: Flash CS 6 - PNG downscaling issue
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Yes, Flash's scaling on export lacks the finesse of Photoshop. To get the best of both, use both. Use method 2, but don't scale the output. Export the pngs at full size. Then open them in Photoshop and perform the re-scaling. I would do this scaling in steps. I don't like to reduce the size of any image more than 50% at any step. Depending on the content of these images, you might want to also add a sharpening step or two in the re-scaling process.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash CS 6 - PNG downscaling issue
            menidas Level 1

Thank you for your swift answer Rob. After having tried a number of other things, this truly seems to be the only working alternative. Thanks again for your help!

Now to the tedious task of saving multiple hundred PS images via script

• 3. Re: Flash CS 6 - PNG downscaling issue
              sagiSpin Level 1

this cannot be the soultion
              i am getting complex fla from designers, and export a png seqaucne into my software
              the fla allready has tweens of scaling!
              i cannot go frame by frame, and optimize the export for each frame indivdually.
              this is critical issue of flash, so many pepole get unoptimzied images when exporting from flash.
              its absord.

what about cache as bit map? changing the scripts of flash somehow.
              please someone......

• 4. Re: Flash CS 6 - PNG downscaling issue
                JoãoCésar Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you need to export each frame as a PNG? And each exported PNG should be resized?